"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cornbelly's and the Birthday Boy

Sarah has been asserting her independence lately.  Whatever her brothers do she has to do it, too.  The other morning I sent her brothers to brush their teeth.  She followed them into the bathroom and brushed her own teeth as well.  Can you tell?  I think the rabid foam around her mouth kind of gave it away.  She was quite proud of herself, though.
For Daniel's 6th birthday we had a family party and went to Cornbelly's Corn Maze at Thanksgiving Pointe in Lehi. The kids all had fun doing the various activities.  In one corner of the courtyard they had a huge dress up area complete with a pumpkin princess that you could take pictures with.  I just saw dress up area and grabbed Sarah and went over.  Sarah was not excited about dressing up in any way shape or form.  I thought she might change her mind once I put her in the prettiest, frilliest dress.  Boy was I WRONG!!!  I had to force it on her and she spent the whole rest of the time trying to pull the dress off while screaming.  She was NOT happy!
They had a wrought iron carriage you could sit in to take a picture.  The boys crawled up in the driver's seat and I put Sarah up inside the carriage to grab a quick picture, but she would not stay sitting there. I finally had to hold her down in my lap while Aaron snapped a quick picture.  By this time I figured I had tortured Sarah enough and took the dress off her.
Thinking she would be more cooperative since the dress had been taken off her, I put her next to the pumpkin princess to take a picture.  She was still not at all cooperative.  It wasn't until they bribed her with a sucker that she stood next to the pumpkin princess long enough to take a picture.  Hey I am not above bribery if it works!
 The boys had fun being her carriage driver and riding the horses.
They had water duck races.  The kids had fun playing with those except Sarah kept stealing everyones' ducks.
We did eventually make it into the corn maze--and got lost inside it.
Throughout the corn maze they had different posts asking you trivia questions.  Whatever answer you picked it gave you the direction to go in.  We either answered a few questions wrong or took a wrong turn somewhere because we eventually had to be led out of the maze by a worker.
 They had a barn with dried corn kernels spread all over the floor.  The kids had fun playing around inside for a while.  The corn and dust got everywhere, but they had fun.  They even unknowingly brought home some dried corn kernels inside their shoes.  I found them on the carpet in our house--nice.  In the picture you can see Josh doing the backstroke in the corn.
 We took a turn on the grain train.  It was a train pulled by a tractor through the haunted part of the maze.
Noah had lots of fun going down the slide with Grandma T.  You can hear him just giggle when he gets to the bottom of the slide.
 We rented a wagon to help pull the three youngest kids along.  Matthew helped Grandpa T pull it all over the courtyard.
 Here's all my cheese balls hamming it up for the camera:
 Everyone took their turn at trying to lasso the cow heads.
 They had a bunch of inflatable slides that everyone had fun going on.  Sarah even got me to go on it with her a few times.  Ah the joys of being a parent.
 They had a bounce pad that everyone took a turn on.  Noah didn't quite know what to think about it, but Daniel took Sarah out and they had a good time.  Matthew did, too.  Josh was all over the place so I couldn't get him to stop long enough to get a picture.
 Of course we had to pose in the huge rocking chair that we sit in every year.  With five growing kids it is starting to become a tight squeeze to fit all of us on it.
 Here's the Happy Birthday Boy before he left for school that morning.  I still see him as my cute little 2 year old!  These past 6 years have gone by really fast!
 We drove by our house Friday morning and saw all the stakes out for them to start digging the foundation.  We are getting so excited!!
 

2 comments:

Jeff n Jill said...

What a fun family tradition!

KiLee said...

That always looks like so much fun! I love that you get your family picture each year in the rocking chair - I can't believe how old your kids are getting, especially since we are permanently 24 in my mind! :)