"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, November 14, 2011

Signing, Visitors, Seizures, Nursery and Other Such Craziness


Last weekend Daniel brought home a stuffed monkey named Mr. Fuzzy Mono from Kindergarten.  He was supposed to take it around with him and then write/draw about his experience in his book.  He was then supposed to return it back to school Monday morning.  Well Monday morning was pretty chaotic and the kids were lucky they even made it out the door fully dressed and have eaten breakfast.  After I sent Josh and Daniel to the bus I was revelling in the quiet house after such a chaotic morning.  The revelling didn't last long because next thing I know Daniel came bursting through the door too upset to talk.  I was alarmed because I didn't know what had happened to him.  I finally coaxed out of him that he had forgotten to bring back Mr. Fuzzy Mono.  It was late enough that I didn't know if he had enough time to grab Mr. Fuzzy Mono and run back to the bus stop before the bus came.  I gave him the monkey and told him to come back if he missed the bus and that I would take him to school.  Daniel ran out the door and made it to our mailbox as he saw his bus drive by on its way to school.  I was watching from the window and I wished I had a camera to take a picture of his face.  He immediately went from being happy to extremely upset the second he saw his bus drive by him.  I started laughing because it was so funny.  Daniel made his way back to the front door and was quite distraught that he'd missed his bus.  I consoled him and quickly got everyone dressed in order to take him to school.  He made it in time before the late bell rang.  For everyone's sake I hope we don't see Mr. Fuzzy Mono again for a long time!!

This week we had an unexpected visit by Aunt Jill and cousin Sydney.  Jill came flew in Tuesday afternoon and stayed the week with us.  We gave her the whole basement and moved Josh and Daniel up to Matthew's room.  Having them in Matthew's room lasted all of five minutes before there was massive fighting.  We ended up moving Josh and Daniel into Sarah and Noah's room.  That lasted all of 20 minutes before there was mass chaos and jumping off the dressers onto Sarah's bed.  We then moved Josh and Daniel out of Sarah's room and into mine and Aaron's room to fall asleep in.  After they fell asleep we then moved them over to Sarah and Noah's room.  Of course having four children in one room I don't know how much sleeping actually happened.  They were up before the crack of dawn jumping off the dresser again.  I got up and started them getting ready for the day.  We all had to be ready to go to school by 8 am since it was Donuts with Mom day.  Miraculously after much chaos and headache we all were ready to go around 8 am including Jill and Sydney.  As we were heading out the door I had one major problem--I couldn't find my keys.  I looked everywhere.  Of course things were starting to get frantic because Josh and Daniel's bus had already left so they could only get to school if I drove them.  I finally gave up and called Aaron at work and told him to get home ASAP because I needed his keys.  About the time he got home I ended up finding my keys.  Aaron had borrowed them the night before and had put them in his shorts pocket then buried his shorts deep into the laundry basket and didn't tell me.  When I found my keys and cursed Aaron's name a few times we all hopped in the car and left.  We got the school in time to find out all the donuts were gone and the bell to start class rang.  I sighed because I really wanted to have donuts with my boys that morning.  Oh well, hopefully we can do it next year--and if they do Aaron will be banned from my keys so we can actually make it in time to get a donut!

The next night we decided to have Josh and Daniel sleep in our room on the floor thinking we would get more sleep.  Boy were we WRONG!!  Daniel coughed all night long because he needed a breathing treatment.  Aaron finally got up with him about 4 am and gave him a nebulizer treatment.  As they were settling back down Daniel needed snuggles with Dad so he was laying down with Aaron.  I put in my ear plugs so I could salvage what was left of the night for sleep.  That didn't last long until Aaron was punching me in the arm telling me to check on Josh.  I rolled over and heard the worst thing ever--Josh gagging and shaking.  I started calling out to Josh and he was not responding.  I yelled at Aaron to turn on the light to find Josh in the throws of a grand mal seizure.  I got out of bed and started timing it.  When it hit the two minute mark and he was still seizing I sent Aaron to find the emergency medication to stop the seizure.  If the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes you HAVE to call 911 because it becomes life threatening at that point.  Luckily, the seizure stopped at 3 minutes, but not before Josh's lips had turned black from his lack of breathing.  That was one of the worst seizures I had ever seen him have.  Daniel was awake for it all and it really traumatized him because he had never seen Josh have a seizure before.  Daniel just sat on the bed and cried.  Of course Josh was unresponsive for about an hour during the post ictal phase of the seizure.  When he started coming around he was very confused and didn't know his name or how old he was.  He finally fell back asleep and then woke up right at 7 am.  Josh got up and went about his morning as if nothing had happened and as far as he knew nothing had happened.  I kept asking him how he felt because after something like that he had to feel awful.  I know Aaron said that after he has had a seizure he feels horrible.  He has a horrible headache, really sluggish and just plain bad.  Josh kept telling me he felt fine which got me scared.  Anyway I did feel a little better in talking to Aaron because we figured out that between the both of us, we had forgotten to give Josh his medication the night before.  We were hoping that that was the only reason why he had had a seizure.  To be on the safe side we had them sleep in our room again the next night.  Unfortunately the next morning we were awakened by Josh having a seizure again.  However, this seizure wasn't nearly as bad as the one the previous morning.  When Josh came out of it he was confused, but he reoriented quickly.  The next night he slept in our room, but he did not have a seizure.  I am hoping that it was just the missed medication that caused them.  However, to be on the safe side he does have a neurology appointment scheduled in two weeks.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't start having break through seizures during the day because that is how that awful week of his hospitalization started about 20 months ago.  We are praying hard that won't happen and everything will get back to normal.  Epilepsy can be so scary especially with him since his seizures are so hard to get under control!   We had him sleep in our room again last night and he did not have another seizure, but I was so keyed up that any noise he made I would flash a light on him to make sure he was ok.  That meant that no one really slept last night, either.  I am trying to decide which is better for no one to sleep with me checking on him every five minutes (which is bad for having seizures) or letting everyone sleep and hoping he doesn't have one.  There really is no ideal solution.  If only I didn't need to sleep...

Anyway on a lighter note we can't have Jill come to visit and not pull her share!  Thursday morning was garbage day and Aaron had forgotten to take the cans out to the curb.  I had forgotten about it to until I heard the garbage truck coming down the street.  I immediately stopped what I was doing and tried to find some shoes to wear to take the garbage cans out before the truck passed by our house.  I wasn't fast enough so Jill ran barefoot outside in freezing temperatures to stop the garbage truck in order to pick up our cans.  The garbage truck driver was gracious enough to wait for us to wheel out the cans.  However, we both had to come in and warm up our bare feet to keep from getting frost bite--brrrrrrrr!  I am sure we were a sight to see with our bed head, pajamas and bare feet.  How awesome are we?!

We have had a crazy week to say the least.  Sarah is keeping her artistic skills honed as you can see:
Unfortunately, I need to keep the pencils, markers and crayons out where the kids can reach them to do their homework.  Sarah knows where they are kept and helps herself whenever no one is looking.  Luckily I have discovered Magic Eraser which has cleaned off quite of her artistic masterpieces off many surfaces like the wall, counter top, table, etc.  Sarah is being a good sister and has showed her little brother the awesomeness of having a blank canvass called a wall that needs to be filled up with nice works of art.  I caught Noah with a pencil scribbling away on the wall in the kitchen.  **Sigh**  Needless to say and thanks to Sarah and Noah, I have used my Magic Eraser so much it will be time to pick up a new one soon.  Good thing I love my kids!

Noah and Sarah were playing chase in the kitchen.  Unfortunately, Noah was only wearing socks so when he started running away from Sarah he slipped and fell and did a face plant into the floor.  Aaron picked him up to give him loves and was surprised to see Noah had given himself his first bleeding nose.  Poor guy!
Since we are living in such tight quarters in this rent house, we are keeping close tabs on how fast they are building our new house.  We were out visiting the new house and talking with the builders.  One of the builders brings his dog to the site and Josh loves to play with him.  This last visit we didn't wash Josh's hands before he rubbed his eyes.  His eyes almost swelled shut because he is so allergic to dogs.  This picture was taken a few hours after he had gotten a dose of Benadryl and a dose of Loratadine and his eyes had gone down in puffiness, but still looked awful.  I still had to give him another dose of Loratadine in the morning because his eyes were still plenty puffy the next morning, too.  Josh loves animals so much, but he seems to be allergic to them all... poor guy!
Speaking of the house here is the latest picture.  They are supposed to finish all the framing today as well as put in all the windows.  I am excited to actually see the form of a house now.  I can hardly wait to move!!  Aaron is doing a house building blog so you can see all the rest of the detailed pictures here.
Saturday night Aaron got some awesome tickets to a BYU football game.  Josh has been wanting to go for a long time so Aaron decided to take him.  The tickets were really good seats that were really close to the field.  They got down to the game early so they could look around at all the pre game show activities going on.  Even though it was freezing cold Aaron and Josh LOVED every minute of it!!
Here's Josh swinging on the railing that was close to their seats watching the game.
I guess it is all fun and games until someone runs out of gas.  The game was such a one sided victory for BYU that Aaron didn't feel bad leaving early in the second half of the game to bring a tired Josh boy home to his actual bed.

I have been holding off on taking Noah to nursery even though he turned 19 months old over a week ago.  I am sad he is my last baby and I am not ready to go to Relief Society without him.  Unfortunately, Aaron's views are different.  Aaron is tired of being wallered by Noah all during Sunday School so he put his foot down yesterday and MADE me take him to nursery :(.  Noah was not very happy to be handed off to a stranger so Aaron hung around the nursery room most of Priesthood and Sunday School.  Noah did ok up until it was time to clean up the toys.  When he had to give up his toy cars he got pretty upset.  Aaron had to take him out to console him.  I did miss my little man during Relief Society, but he needed to go at some point even if I didn't want him too quite yet...speaking of church what a crazy day yesterday during Sacrament Meeting!  For some reason every week Sarah likes to go out in the aisle, hold onto the bench and jump.  I have no idea why she feels the need to do this, but she does it anyway.  While she was doing her jumping the bread came around.  I told her if she wanted a piece of bread she had to come sit down.  Since Sarah loves food she quickly obliged.  Now as the tray of bread came within her reach I told her numerous times, "Just one piece.  Just take one piece.  Just take one piece."  Of course Sarah was just Sarah and grabbed a handful.  I was quick enough to pry most the bread out of her fingers, but she was able to hold on to two pieces.  When she saw her good fortune of seeing her two pieces she announced it to everyone, "I GOT TWO PIECES!!"  She then shoved them into her mouth before I could take any more away from her.  As for Noah, he is at the I want to wander around and not sit still stage so he tries to sneak out of the bench every chance he gets.  While we were listening to the speakers (as much as you can with five squirmy kids), Daniel called out to me to tell me something.  Noah took advantage of my lapse of supervision and booked it out into the aisle.  He wandered up a few benches and was looking at everyone.  I started to stand up to get him when Sarah decided to be the helpful sister and daughter.  She ran out and grabbed him before I could get to him.  In her haste she knocked Noah down and on his way down to the ground he smacked his head into the bench.  Sarah's momentum knocked her down and she ended up falling right on top of him.  Of course this happened during the sacrament so it was pretty quiet until they both started screaming and crying.  I had to run up and grab them both while they were screaming and then take them out into the foyer.  Fun times!  Yesterday was Fast Sunday so of course it was testimony meeting--Matthew's most favorite meeting of the month because he gets to speak in the microphone.  Now for some reason he has it in his head that he NEEDS to be the first one up to the pulpit every month.  Now before he goes up I make him tell me what he is going to say in the microphone to make sure it is appropriate.  Well in his haste to be the first one up to the microphone he bypassed me and ran up the aisle.  I held my breath when he got up to the microphone because you never know what will come out of his mouth.  Luckily for me he just bore his testimony about how we need to be honest.  Phew!  I breathed a sigh of relief after he came running down the aisle while flapping his hands to sit down.  Of course Josh and Daniel had to get up as well.  Josh bore his testimony about his remainder (I think he meant Redeemer).  Daniel had to wait his turn to bear his testimony, but don't worry he passed the time while picking his nose.  Ewwwwww!!  When he got his turn he spoke so fast it was hard to hear what he said.  Gotta love Fast and Testimony meeting with kids!  Here is Noah after we got home from church none the worse for wear after going to nursery and being tackled by Sarah during Sacrament Meeting.
For Halloween one of the kids came home with a Warhead candy.  Daniel had never tried one before so I let him try it out while I recorded him.  He had no idea they were so sour, but I made him finish it for my own amusement.  What a mean Mom I am!
As for Matthew he is doing great so far this year in school.  He has a fabulous teacher who actually wants him do succeed as much as we do which is AWESOME!!  Now Matthew has struggled with his handwriting ever since he has been writing.  His teacher the two years previous was really strict about what she expected in the handwriting department.  If his handwriting wasn't up to her standards she would erase his whole assignments and make him redo them.  This caused many meltdowns as you can imagine.  Thankfully his teacher this year decided to try something different.  She thinks that Matthew lacks the muscle development and strength in his hands to hold a pencil correctly in order to have good handwriting.  To fix this he has started Occupational Therapy at school.  Hopefully we can start seeing an improvement in his handwriting soon.
In speaking of kids with problems, Noah is extremely delayed in his speech.  He only has three words at this point which are Stop it, What, and Tickle tickle.  However, I am not worried about autism with Noah because Noah is very socially appropriate which is a relief!  We have an evaluation with Early Intervention tomorrow to see if he qualifies for services.  Unfortunately, I have had experience with them before with Matthew.  I guess that is good because I know what to expect if he does qualify for services.  I have started signing with him and he is starting to learn the sign language sign for more.  Hopefully his speech comes sooner than Matthew's did, but until it does I hope he learns signing quickly so he can at least communicate his wants with us.  I never knew parenting was going to be so HARD!!  Even if I did know how hard it would be I wouldn't change anything...even after I have to sacrifice my sleep, clean up marker and pencil off of multiple surfaces daily and clean up bleeding noses...

1 comment:

KiLee said...

You are a fantastic mom! I don't know when you do find time to sleep! Good luck with everything - the house looks awesome! :)