I will try and catch up from last Tuesday night since a lot of things have happened. Tuesday night was Pack Meeting so Aaron took Josh and Matthew. Matthew loves to be a helper in any way, shape or form. It's a good thing we have laid back cub scout leaders because it would be really hard for Matthew if we didn't. Matthew, of course, tries to take charge and to conduct the meeting. They were going to have a flag ceremony but couldn't find the flag to use. When they couldn't find the flag they decided to skip the ceremony, but Matthew wouldn't hear of it. He went ahead and made everyone do the full ceremony even when there wasn't a flag to Pledge Allegiance to. Afterward they played a few games where Matthew and Josh got a big box of Milk Duds. Josh, of course, ate his right away. Matthew held on to his and brought them home. That was his big mistake because as soon as Matthew got home and put the box down on the table, Noah crawled up on the table and shoved full handfuls of Milk Duds into his mouth. By the time anyone saw what was happening half the Milk Duds were gone and Noah was a huge chipmunk cheeked (still full of Milk Duds) chocolate/caramel, drooly mess. Good thing Matthew is pretty good about sharing so he didn't get too upset with Noah.
Wednesday I needed to go and take care of my traffic ticket that I had gotten a few weeks ago. It, unfortunately, was down in Salt Lake and the Justice Court was only open between 1-4:30 pm. That meant I had to leave as soon as Aaron got home from work. Before I left to go down to Salt Lake I got a call from McKay Dee hospital saying that they were out of Josh's seizure rescue medication that the neurologist had called in and that they couldn't fill the prescription. Now this new rescue medication is only filled at a few specialized pharmacies. McKay Dee's pharmacy was the closest to our house so since they couldn't fill it we had to go down to Primary Children's Hospital pharmacy. That worked out great because I just happened to be going down to Salt Lake that afternoon so I could go and pick it up on my way home. I went down to take care of my traffic ticket which is such a rip off!! I had to pay for my ticket as well as traffic school which is held this next upcoming Wednesday night. That means, yet another trip down to finish taking care of this stupid ticket! Anyway, after paying my fines I headed up to Primary's to pick up the medication. I walked in to the pharmacy and they had the prescription ready to go. As they handed it over to me they were explaining how to use it. If Josh has a seizure lasting more than 5 minutes without a break I have to squirt this medication in his nose through a special nasal mister and call 911 because after 5 minutes a seizure becomes life threatening. They took the syringe out and showed me basically what to do and how to attach the nasal mister part. Now I have heard this before, but for some reason this time it really scared me. I held myself together long enough to get out of the pharmacy before I started getting panicky and teary eyed. Then I started having a pity party for myself as I was walking down the hallway to get to the parking garage. I was thinking, "This is so scary--seizures can be life threatening!! Why Josh? Why me? Why does my family have it so hard? This is so unfair! " However, my line of thinking was stopped immediately as I passed by a little girl about Josh's age who was completely bald surrounded by her family. She was undergoing cancer treatments and probably would have to spend Christmas in the hospital. At that point I had a reality check and a change of heart. I realized that things could ALWAYS be worse. That made me grateful that my trials aren't that bad and that I should be thankful my kids are as healthy as they are. I can't imagine spending Christmas in the hospital with a very sick child. I made it home in the late afternoon. I walked in the house to find Josh just shivering under a huge, heavy blanket. I felt his head which was quite hot. I grabbed the thermometer and took Josh's temperature to find it was a whopping 103.3 degrees. Eeegad!! We quickly gave him some ibuprofen and Tylenol to bring the fever down. A fever really lowers the seizure threshold making it a lot easier to someone with epilepsy to have a seizure. Which is scary especially with Josh!! Anyway, about dinner time his temperature had dropped to 100.5 so we were happy with that...considering. After a quick dinner Aaron gathered up the garbages from the house to take outside since Thursday morning is our garbage day. In walking the trash cans out to the curb Aaron found our next door neighbor crying outside. He asked if she needed help and she ended up telling him her troubles which were awful. She had just gotten home from work to find a huge letter taped to her door from the city telling her that her water had just been turned off for nonpayment of her water bill. After she found that letter a guy pulled up and gave her an envelope from her ex husbands attorney telling her he was seeking sole custody of their two daughters because she was a terrible mother. She was quite distraught. Aaron tried to talk to her, but didn't know what to say. He ended up coming inside our house and told me what had just happened. He wanted to offer her access to our bathroom and shower since she couldn't use hers, but he wanted me to go and tell her. He thought it would be a little creepy to have the next door neighbor guy offer a single woman to use his shower. I agreed that it would indeed be quite creepy, but that meant I would have to be the one to go over and talk to her. That about sent me into another panic attack since I am so shy and this type of thing is so out of my league. I swallowed my shyness and social awkwardness and headed over and knocked on her door before I lost my resolve. She answered and was just crying. I felt horrible for her. She was trying to read the whole document her ex husband's attorney had sent over, but couldn't see through her tears. I didn't know what to do so I gave her a hug and she just sobbed on my shoulder for a while. I offered her access to our shower and bathroom, but she said she would be staying with her aunt until she could get things resolved. As I walked back over to our house, again, I was humbled by how many blessings I have and knew that even if I think I have it bad, someone ALWAYS has it worse.
When I got home we decided to have Josh sleep in our room on the floor to listen out for any trouble we may have during the night since he had such a high fever. Of course Daniel didn't want to sleep by himself downstairs so he had to come sleep on the floor with Josh, too. Sarah wanted to join the sleepover party in our room and kept sneaking out of her room into ours when we weren't looking--the little stinker. Boy Josh and Daniel are the noisiest sleepers which made sleeping hard for Aaron and me. During the night Josh did end up having a seizure about 3 am, but it wasn't a very big one. However, it is a bit troubling since he currently is on three medications for seizures and he still had one. We finally got him up to the lowest therapeutic dose of the Trileptal Saturday night. He is supposed to go a week without having any seizures and if he does that we can start weaning him off the Keppra. SCARY!! At least I have the emergency rescue meds if there is a problem...that should be a comforting thing, but it's not. I just have to keep thinking it can always be worse, it can always be worse, it can always be worse...Luckily, Josh's fever broke that night and he woke up feeling great. What a random fever!!
Thursday morning Noah had his evaluation with Early Intervention. It was at 9 am so I really had to work hard to make sure all the kids were up and ready to go that morning. I had about 15 minutes to shower and get myself ready so I hurried and hopped in the shower. I didn't want to shower Noah or Sarah because I really didn't have much time. However, Noah came in the bathroom and screamed by the side of the shower until I undressed him and put him in. Next thing I know a naked Sarah is crawling over the tub to get in the shower, too. The disconcerting thing is she had a poopy diaper that I hadn't had a chance to change. That meant she had taken it off and left somewhere--AWESOME! She so needs to be potty trained!! Anyway, since it was a party in the shower I was a few minutes late in getting Noah to be evaluated. After all the testing, it was not unexpected, but still I was upset to learn that he was developmentally delayed enough to require services. Getting that news as well as not sleeping the whole night before and knowing Josh had had another seizure was more than I could handle and I started to cry. Since I don't cry very often it really bothers the kids when they see me cry. Sarah gave me lots of loves and kept asking if I had an owie or if the dinosaur had scared me. Daniel went and got me a drink without me even asking him because he thought I needed one. Even Matthew came over and gave me loves for a minute. That night Josh surprised us by leaving Aaron and me our Christmas present that he had made in school on our pillows to help me feel better. I really do have some sweet kids for all the trouble they give me ;)!
Speaking of trouble Noah is a little stinker when it comes to eating. You can only give him one mouthful of food at time a time on his tray or he will throw the extra on the floor. I forgot this rule last night as I gave him a little spaghetti and meatballs. Next thing I know I have cut up meatballs flying past my plate because Noah had more than he could eat and started throwing his food. What a mess. There was spaghetti splattered on the wall, floor, Noah and me since I sit the closest to him at the table. What a stinker!
Noah has also been practicing his pitching at church as well. Last week during Sunday School he got a ball out of the diaper bag. When he was done playing with it he threw it. I tried to grab it before it hit someone. Unfortunately instead of grabbing it I ended up hitting it sending it flying across the room. How embarrassing!! It got passed back to me from a few rows away. I quickly put it away hoping that not too many people saw, but how could you not see a ball flying through the air in the middle of a Sunday School lesson?! Yesterday during sacrament meeting Noah was playing with a toy truck. When he finished with it instead of giving it to me he threw it full force at the guy behind me hitting him right in the shoulder. I put the car away, but somehow Noah got a hold of it again and when he was done playing with it he launched it and hit the guy sitting in front of us this time. What a stinker!
Friday night was Sarah's dance recital. The dance teacher recommended putting makeup on the girls to make them stand out a little more. Of course Sarah was more than happy to let me put makeup on her. She was excited I was putting it on her instead of her sneaking into my makeup and putting it on herself. She was excited to "color" her eyes with the pencil (eyeliner), have some lip gloss put on and to have some blush put on. She was even more excited to have her fingernails and toenails painted. I LOVE having a girly girl! Here she is letting me do whatever I want girly wise the afternoon before her recital:
Here she is with her costume and makeup:
I can't figure out how to post the video of her performance, but when I do I will post that. Here is a picture of her doing one of her two dances: (she is on the very end with her hands up by her face)
Here is the final bow of everyone that participated in the performance:
Sarah's eyeliner got smeared a little bit since she did not want me to leave her backstage with her teacher before the performance and cried a bit. She did great. I can't wait to see her next recital in May. The three year old class is so fun to watch!! We were also glad G&G T were able to come and see her perform. Everything was great until we got ready to leave only to find the people sitting behind us had spilled their coffee all over everyone's coats and bags. Doh!! Oh well nothing that a washing machine can't handle, right?!
Saturday we decided to head down to Gardner Village to check out their Christmas decorations. We wandered around the shops and thankfully, no one broke anything! Phew! We did pass by a candy store and decided to go in. In looking around it reminded me of when my mom took us kids shopping at the mall. She would stop by the candy counter at ZCMI first and let us each pick out $0.25 worth of candy to keep us entertained and occupied while she shopped. We decided to let our kids do the same. They were so excited to pick out what they wanted. However, it was mass chaos because all the kids wanted to get their stuff all at the same time. When each kid had gotten their bag of candy they went and stood in line to buy it. While we were in line I asked Aaron where Noah was. He thought Noah was with me and I thought Noah was with him. About that time Noah came wandering over to us with both of his hands full of candy and some in his mouth. In all the chaos of helping all the other kids Noah helped himself to a bin of taffy. The taffy in his mouth he hadn't bothered to unwrap it and was eating it wrapper and all. Yummy! We pried the other taffies from his hands and put them back which didn't make him very happy, but you gotta do what you gotta do right?! When we got up to pay we noticed they wouldn't take any credit card/debit card payments under $5. Uh-oh because we didn't have any cash. Aaron and I decided to help out the cause and bought a couple bucks worth of egg nog fudge. It was a small sacrifice to make :)! The candy made everyone happy and the fudge was divine!! It was a fun little trip! Here's the kids showing off their bags of candy:
Later that night we went to Burger Stop in Layton and rode the hayride over to look at the Layton City lights. They were so pretty. It was quite chilly, but we all had fun!Waiting in line to get our hay ride tickets at Burger Stop they had Santa there. The kids wanted to tell Santa what they wanted except Noah who was NOT happy to be put on Santa's lap:
Sarah wasn't too happy about it either:
Josh finally got a chance to tell Santa he wanted an iPad. Aaron and I about choked when we heard that.
Matthew, just like last time, didn't even let Santa get a word in edgewise as he immediately started into his list of wants.
Daniel was just happy to be there.
It was a fun weekend. I can't believe how close Christmas is getting. I need to get in gear and start my wrapping as I haven't done a thing with it. Also be thinking and keeping Josh in your prayers this week, too. He has finally gotten up to the therapeutic dose of Trileptal and needs to go a week being seizure free before we can start weaning him off the Keppra. That means he will be sleeping on the floor of our room this week so we can listen and make sure he is not having seizures throughout the night. That also means Aaron and I will not be getting much sleep since Josh and Daniel are some of the noisiest sleepers EVER!! What a crazy time, but we are hoping for the best!

1 comment:
Wow--what a week! Praying for the best with Josh! Hopefully this medicine will do the trick.
ps--Sarah looks so dang cute in her dance costume!
See you Saturday :)
Post a Comment