"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oops, Hardware Ranch, Night Action, Meet Bunsie

In unpacking and other generalized stuff I haven't had a chance to catch up blogging until this morning.  It is somewhat of a long, random and jumpy post, but there has been a lot to catch up on!!  We are continuing to unpack, unpack, and unpack some more.  I think it would go a lot faster if I didn't have so much 'help' from little hands!!

In unpacking the toys the kids thought it was Christmas all over again.  Here's Noah sporting Aaron's boyhood Superman cape that we had just found...again:
 Unbeknownst to me it appears Daniel got a hold of my cell phone and took some candid pictures.  Don't you love it when you come across pictures like this?! Um...Thanks for the laugh, Daniel:
 In unpacking we have found Sarah's princess shoes.  I can't tell who was more excited Sarah or Daniel...
 or Noah...
I am sure Aaron will be excited to see his boys decked out in Cinderella shoes (or as Sarah calls them Snow Wipe shoes).

 With our laminate flooring we have a new dust mop/broom that Noah thinks is tons of fun to play with.  He will sneak into the pantry, get it out and play with it for long periods of time.  It isn't until I trip over it later on that I find it again.
Sometimes when home life gets boring, Noah makes his own fun.  I will always wonder what it is with boys and farting noises...They start thinking it is the best thing ever at such a young age!  Geez!
 Noah is just like his Dad and brothers.  As soon as we get home, he pulls his shoes and socks off faster than anyone else that I know.  I have found dirty socks in the strangest of places! No wonder we lose so many socks since they randomly get tossed wherever the wearer happened to take them off at.

This weekend we ventured a trip up to Hardware Ranch.  To learn more about it click here.  Anyway, we try and do this as a family every year.  Last year we didn't make it so this year we really wanted to try and get there this year.  We ended up waiting until the very last weekend it was open to go and, of course, it was FREEZING!!!  The outside temperature was 32 degrees, but the wind was blowing and that made everything feel so much colder!!  Since many sane people didn't want to come out in such cold weather there weren't too many people around, which was nice.  We got on the horse drawn wagon and waited to ride out into the elk field. Have I mentioned it was FREEZING?!  
 Here's the elk just watching the wagon drive by very uninterested like.
 Some of the bulls hadn't lost their antlers, but they should soon.
 The kids didn't want to spend too much time looking around after since it was so cold.  We tried to get another person to take a family picture of all of us standing around the pair of horses that pulled the wagon, but that didn't happen.  Aaron handed him the camera and explained how to use it.  The poor guy thought he had taken a few pictures and assured us that he did, but he hadn't done anything at all.  DOH!!  We didn't realize it until we were all back in the car and none of us wanted to go back outside in the cold for a retake.  Oh well, maybe we can try again next year...Here are the rest of us hurrying back to the car to get out of the icy wind, except for Sarah who is always up for a photo op.
Of course no trip to Logan would be complete without stopping for ice cream (even if all of us were still freezing from the Hardware Ranch visit).  We were excited to find out that Logan has a Sub Zero ice cream shop which is the only place that has Daniel friendly ice cream.  On the way over we were talking up the place to Daniel making him excited that he would be able to eat ice cream along with the rest of us.  You can imagine how horrible we felt when we pulled up to Sub Zero to find it had gone out of business and was no longer open.  Oops.  We decided to go back to our usual ice cream place, Caspers, but to help Daniel feel better about not eating any ice cream we stopped by a store and let him pick out any candy he wanted to eat while the rest of us ate our ice cream.  He seemed to be ok with that because he did give me the double thumbs up sign (I think ordering him the extra orange soda to go with his candy helped a bit, too).
Do you like his HUGE bag of gummy bears?  He also has a big glass of orange soda that you can't see as well.  Nothing like a good ole' sugar high?!!  In trying to keep all the kids appeased we ordered their ice cream first.  Even Noah got his very own first small scoop of ice cream, too.  However, since the kids only got one scoop of ice cream, by the time Aaron and I had sat down with our ice cream the kids' ice cream was long since eaten and we had to endure the puppy dog stares until we gave in and shared our bowls of ice cream as well.  Here's Sarah after her bowl of ice cream ran out:
Good thing Dad was willing to share his ice cream because that was the only way to get her to stop crying.
We try to have family movie night every Friday night.  Lately we have added a hot air popcorn popper to our routine.  We have even found a dairy free 'butter' flavored seasoning that everyone likes to sprinkle over the top of our popcorn.  Isn't it a little troubling to have it 'butter' flavored without any real butter ingredients in it?  Anyway, I try not to ponder that too much as all of us can eat it and enjoy it.
The kids love the popcorn so much that I don't think they have any left to eat when the actual movie even starts.  As soon as we set down the bowl everyone dives in like ravenous dogs.  I fear for my hands when I do set down the bowl, but I haven't lost a finger.....yet.
In unpacking we have found Sarah's barbies.  One of them, however, seems to be missing all of her clothes. I picked that one up and was looking at it yesterday when Daniel just casually mentioned, "Oh you found Bunsie."  I guess that is one name you can call a naked barbie doll in which you can see her naked bum...Bunsie.  Sarah found a Barbie tiara and decided to wear it and make herself princess Sarah.  What a funny girl!
In other happenings Josh had a follow up neurology appointment yesterday morning.  Aaron stayed home to get the other kids up and ready for school while I took Josh down to his appointment at Primary Children's Hospital bright and early at 8am.  We were pleasantly surprised as we were walking inside the hospital to find IHOP making and giving out a free pancake breakfast to anyone and everyone to celebrate national pancake day a day early.  Josh was so excited.  He loaded up his plate with two pancakes he would have taken more, but they limited you to just two.  He doused them in strawberry syrup and was in heaven.  After the appointment he wanted to get another plateful, but they had already cleaned up so he was a little disappointed.  During the appointment Josh is doing great.  His gross motor control is getting better, too which was nice to hear.   When the PA was wrapping up our visit she asked Josh if he had any questions about anything that was going on.  Josh, ever the opportunist, asked, "Ya, what do I get for coming down to see you today?"  Not the exact question the PA was expecting, but she rolled with the punches and ended up giving Josh a word search book for all his 'troubles'.  I was little embarrassed, but what can you do?  Anyway, we don't have another appointment until 6 months barring no problems/seizures before then.  Hopefully this time we can actually make it to the full 6 months before he needs to be seen again.  In talking with a friend she had mentioned something about a nighttime camera to monitor stuff.  Aaron looked more into it and found this nice night vision camera.  It normally is used as a security camera, but it really works well for our needs.  It only records when it senses movement and it does have night vision capability so we can keep an eye on him all night.  It starts recording after sensing movement then it records the movement and 20 seconds after the movement stops.  That way we can really see if he is having seizures or not at night. We just hook it up to the computer and watch the video snippets the next day to see if there were any problems or seizures throughout the night.  It is a blessing since everyone is able to sleep in their own beds which makes for a better night's sleep.  However, when we first set up the camera the boys loved messing with it.  Here's a small sample of what happened the first few minutes it was set up:
The next night we couldn't get the stupid thing to record so Aaron went downstairs to look at what was wrong to find that someone had put a sticker over the camera lens.  DOH!!  Luckily, the newness has worn off and the boys have pretty much left the camera alone since then.

In finding new things to try out for Daniel's strict allergen free diet I came across this little number:
I am always willing to try something new and it fit in perfectly for our family dinner of macaroni and cheese the other night.  However, Daniel's dairy, egg and nut free version as you can see from the box was mac and chReese. After I made it Aaron informed me that he was NOT even going to try it because it smelled and looked  disgusting.  I had to agree it did look and smell gross, but someone had to try it along with Daniel so I was the guinea pig.  Daniel tried it and didn't like it so when I bit into it and almost gagged I didn't feel too bad for not ever wanting to make it again.  It was worth a try, but that's as far as it will get for us--BLECH!!

One thing I did forget to write about was something that happened the first week after moving in to our new house.  That first day we had told Josh and Daniel that they shouldn't ride the bus home anymore because we are no longer on a bus route.  We told them over and over again that first morning that we would be there to pick them up from school.  So when I went to pick up Daniel from kindergarten, he was no where to be found. I parked the car and went in to talk to his teacher to find that he was, in fact, on the bus.  I drove over to our old house hoping to catch him, but the bus never showed up.  That's when I called the transportation office and started in to the explanation when the dispatcher stopped me and just asked me if my son's name was Daniel.  I said yes and she told me the bus would have to make it's rounds and then it would drop him back off at the school.  In further discussion I guess once the bus made it to Daniel's regular stop he realized that he shouldn't have ridden the bus at all and burst into tears.  He tried to explain what happened to the bus driver, but it was a substitute bus driver and she didn't quite know what to do.  Luckily, Aunt Jill stayed at his usual bus stop while I drove over to the school to wait for him.  After making all the stops the bus driver made one last loop around the old bus stop and that's when Aunt Jill was able to grab a very upset Daniel and bring him home.  When we all got home I asked Daniel what had happened and he just burst into tears.  Luckily we got him home in one piece and everyone (including his teacher, the bus driver and dispatch) was now aware that Daniel was not supposed to ride the bus anymore.  It was a pretty traumatic experience for the poor kid!!  Thank goodness for cell phones and that we were all able to stay in contact the whole time to track him down!

No comments: