"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What?! , Chatty Cathy, Disintegrating Wipes IS BAD!!

I thought my kids could properly dress themselves so I haven't been double checking their clothes.  That was until Daniel came home from kindergarten with his shirt on inside out.  I didn't realize that the reason he had trouble doing up his front buttons was because his shirt was on wrong.  What a funny kid!
 All the kids had dental checkups last month and thankfully no one had a cavity.  We even got a call from the dentist's office today saying that Josh had won a $20 Toys-R-Us gift card from being entered into the cavity free drawing.  WAHOO!!  Anyway, during this visit we did find out that Daniel had broken two molars and they happened to be the same two teeth with cavities he had gotten filled last visit.  I guess they give you a three year guarantee on fillings and his fillings lasted less than 6 months so they had to be replaced.  We made the appointment for an early afternoon last week so I wouldn't have to pull Daniel out of school.  When we got to the appointment they led Daniel back to 'the chair' and got him set up with some nitrous oxide gas and some video goggles.  That worked well until they tried to put the ear buds into Daniel's ears.  Daniel has the strangest shaped ears.  He has had these weird ears ever since he was born.  With these 'interesting' ears consequently no ear buds will ever fit into his ears--poor kid.  After trying and trying for a few minutes the dental assistant gave up and taped the ear buds on Daniel's ears because that's the only way he could listen to the movie and not hear the drill.     

Here Daniel is awaiting the laughing gas to relax him.  He chose to watch the movie Tangled (with the ear buds taped to his ears) while he was waiting.
 Once they started work on him, they closed the door so the other kids couldn't hear Daniel whimper once they gave him the shots to numb up his mouth.
Of course I had my sidekicks Sarah and Noah with me.  Since the appointment was during naptime Noah thought he'd make himself comfortable first by pulling off one shoe and one sock, throwing the shoe and sock (because Noah loves to throw things) and then by dirtying his diaper.  Of course I ran out of the house not thinking this appointment would take very long so I didn't bring the diaper bag.  Everyone got to smell Noah's sweet aroma--it was great.

After being there for a few minutes, he either knocked himself out with his sweet aroma or the naptime sleepiness was setting in:
 Noah got his second wind, though and decided to play the game 'come get me while I try to run away from you'.  He kept running down the hall and trying to walk into different patient's rooms.  Of course, I had to try and stop him which made him think I enjoyed playing his fun game.  He would run down the hall and try to walk into someone's room and see how long it took me to come and scoop him up.  I tried to stop him, but he kept sneaking by me.  One point and dental assistant came to talk to me about how to care for Daniel's new fillings.  Noah took this opportunity of my lack of attention to him and took off.  Another nice dental assistant saw him run down the hall and she went to pick him up and bring him back.  I think she caught a strong whiff of his stinky pants and didn't help me the next few times he ran away from me.  I don't blame her, Noah was pretty stinky!  While I was trying to keep Noah contained I gave Sarah my phone to play with.  She stayed quiet and busy with it and it was nice.  However, I found out what she was doing while she had my phone later on when my memory was almost full.  She was playing with this hair salon game and they let you take pictures of your 'clients'.  Sarah had filled up most of my phone memory with her salon 'clients' like this:

Luckily, I have a DELETE button!  It took a good long time to delete all those stupid salon pictures, but it kept her quiet so I can't complain....too much anyway.

Saturday we were getting a strong case of Spring Fever so we headed outside for the day and did some geocaching.  We found a few microcaches which is fun to do.  Of course while we were looking for stuff Noah made his own fun by taking off one shoe and one sock and throwing them as far away from the stroller as he could. 
 The boys had fun and all of them fought for the chance to sign our geocaching name to each cache.  Here's Aaron trying to open one of the micro caches:
 After a while Sarah was getting slower and slower in her walking.  The boys had scooters so they could go a lot faster and she just couldn't keep up.  We did let her try and ride a scooter, but she didn't like it so she just walked with me and Aaron.  Aaron tried to help her by putting her on his shoulders.  She did NOT like that and would only hold on by covering Aaron's eyes.  That didn't work so well so we just had to walk a little slower for her to keep up.
 Daniel is a funny kid.  He came to me yesterday and told me to watch him.  He started pulling all these weird faces with his eyes closed.  When he was done he asked me if I saw that.  Not know what he was exactly talking about I asked what I was supposed to see.  He did the whole weird face thing again (this time I recorded it) and then asked me if I saw his ears move.  I think I saw everything else but his ears move with all that face pulling.  He is so funny!
He is also a pretty friendly kid and will talk to anyone and everyone.  In moving into a new house we have had a few things that we have had to get fixed.  Daniel LOVES the fix it guy that comes.  The fixit guy came last week to fix our back door.  When the fix it guy came in and was looking at the door, Daniel started chatting it up with him.  He followed him everywhere the fix it guy went.  When Mr. Fixit went out to his car to get tools Daniel followed him out there talking the whole way out and the whole way back inside again.  When they were back inside Daniel went over and drew him a picture of Daniel and him standing outside in the sun.  When Daniel was finished drawing the picture he presented it to Fixit.  Mr. Fixit said he loved it.  However, when Fixit left, he left Daniel's masterpiece here.  Daniel was devastated.  I told Daniel that Mr. Fixit had to come back in the morning to finish the door and that I would give his picture to him.  Unfortunately I forgot to give Fixit the picture and I forgot to get rid of the picture before Daniel got home.  When Daniel saw his picture still here, he was upset all over again.  Luckily, Mr. Fixit had to come back yesterday to finish up and he came right as Daniel was getting home from kindergarten.  Daniel was so excited to see him again.  He went over and started talking to him and didn't stop until Mr. Fixit left, but this time Daniel made sure Fixit left with his picture. 

Noah has discovered the upstairs railing and not only that, but he has also discovered how much fun it is to throw toys over the railing to hear them clatter on the floor below.  I caught him just after the fact here as he is walking back into the bonus room to gather another handful of toys to throw over the railing:
I must say the funniest time he did it was when Josh was sitting at the desk below the railing and Noah threw a big truck over the railing and hit Josh squarely on his head.   Josh was MAD, but I couldn't stop laughing in order to get upset at Noah because it was so funny.  Noah, of course, wore his most innocent expression that said, "Who, me?!  I wouldn't ever do such a thing!" when he heard Josh howling after being hit.  The kids now know to watch out down below when Noah's upstairs.

Josh has told Aaron he wants to run the Clinton 5K again this year.  He went out jogging with Aaron yesterday and during their jog he told Aaron that he really wanted to run with him instead of Mom because Mom slows him down.  WHAT?!  Josh also told Aaron that he was embarrassed last year because it was all my fault that the ambulance almost passed us at the end of the race because I was running so slow.  WHAT, AGAIN!!??  When Aaron told me what Josh had said I was bothered by it.  Let me set the record straight here.  Last year when the race started Josh took off sprinting as fast as he could.  As you can imagine he tired out pretty fast, but I did the slow and steady thing.  However, since Josh was so tired he begged me to walk a while.  I kept trying to encourage him to jog with me, but he was too tired so we walked even more.  I was the one that was trying to jog while Josh was begging to walk.  Who was slowing who down here?!  Luckily we did finish the race before the trailing ambulance passed us.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Aaron 'slows' Josh down this year.  I do believe Josh must have a case of very selective memory loss because he was the one begging to walk last year....I promise!!!

Speaking of Josh...they had their end of year pictures taken at school a few weeks ago.  In looking at Josh's picture, it appears he got his picture taken AFTER lunch since he has lunch smeared all over his shirt.  It looks like Josh really enjoyed his lunch at least!
Aaron learned a lesson the hard way last week, however, it was my fault.  Sarah, after flushing the majority of the flushable wipes down the toilet, she left the flushable wipes bag open.  They dried out pretty quickly since the package was left wide open.  I tried to salvage the flushable wipes by rewetting them.  I poured some water on them and left them to soak up the water and remoisten themselves.  A few hours afterward Sarah decided to poop her underwear and Aaron being the nice guy went to clean her up.  He grabbed a wipe and started wiping when the wipe disintegrated in Aaron's hand leaving him wiping a dirty bum with his bare hand.  YUCK!!  Aaron gave up didn't want to 'chance it' with another wipe so he just threw her in the shower and scrubbed his hands.  He wasn't too happy about my trying to salvage the wipes because they don't salvage very well.

I am very nervous because our family gets to speak in church this upcoming Sunday.  It should be very interesting.  I don't know where to have the kids sit or if they should talk or just bear their testimonies.  I guess we will figure it out this week sometime....again it should be very interesting to say the least. We have a hard enough time trying to contain everyone while NOT sitting on the bench it should be interesting to see what happens when we are sitting up there for everyone to see....

2 comments:

Jennifer Rasmussen said...

Good luck with the sacrament talks. You could always sit in the audience and then just take turns on the stand when you speak. That way you won't have "performances" while everyone is watching.

KiLee said...

It looks like you are settling in good - I wish I could come & get a tour of your house!
Good luck on Sunday - I hope it goes well for you!!