"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wart Boy, Awesome Possum and Dancing Queen

Tuesday Sarah had her dance pictures taken.  I took this picture before we left for pictures just in case she didn't look as presentable at the picture venue.  I had that happen to me once.  It was picture day for me in kindergarten.  My mom spent a lot of time doing my hair and getting me dressed so I would look nice.  That all flew out the window when I decided to run all the way to school.  In my picture my hair is a mess.  I was hoping to avoid that with Sarah, but you never know what she is going to do!  Anyway, Noah heard me say I was going to take Sarah's picture and he came a running over.  When I said, "Cheese!" he sure hammed it up for the camera.  I am proud to say we made it to pictures pretty unscathed with no running aloud ;).  
Daniel has started T-ball.  He was so excited because I finally bought him some baseball pants so he looks 'professional' now.  Aaron even volunteered to team coach with another dad after our experience with soccer.  Daniel's last soccer team the poor coach had never ever played, watched, or had anything to do with soccer and it showed.  On the very first day of practice she turned to all the kids' parents and said and I quote, "I hope my kid doesn't ever get into soccer because I think it is a stupid sport."  What a great thing to say to a bunch of parents that just paid money to learn how to play soccer...Well seeing as we had not volunteered to coach a team we couldn't grumble too much about her lack of coaching ability.  That is why Aaron and another dad decided to coach T-ball so we could grumble about the coaches if we wanted to :).  However, it has been good so far. 
Josh for whatever reason has turned into the wart boy.  He had nine warts on the back of his legs that were driving me crazy.  To make an appointment  with the dermatologist to get them frozen off would have cost us $150.00 in a copay so needless to say we never made an appointment.  However, we did discover an over the counter wart freezer can and decided to try that instead.  Heck $11.00 sure beats $150.00 any day!!  Here's what they looked like right after I 'froze' the warts off:

A few days later they turned into blisters.  Josh swears that he didn't pick them, but I have my doubts because they now look horrible.  The blisters popped on their own (or so Josh said) and, again, they look horrible!!  I went out and bought some bandaids and some Neosporin with analgesic in it to help with the pain and liberally applied it all over the back of his bean pole legs.  Hopefully they will heal up soon because they look very ouchy and gross.
 We have a bird that has claimed our garden as it's own.  Every time we would go out to the garden we would be met with this charade:
My brother told me the name of the bird is a Killdeer.  I went home and looked it up and found out that if you get by its nest it acts lame or wounded and squawks really loud to lead you away from its eggs.  Sure enough I went outside and looked more carefully in the garden and found its very camoflauged nest with four eggs in it.  Now that I know it's nest is there I have noticed the bird patiently sitting on them day in day out until it has to act lame again.
The eggs gestation is only about 29 1/2 days so we are waiting and watching and hoping to see the baby birds before they leave.  However, it gets a little annoying to be squawked at every time I try to go and see how my garden is doing.  I guess it's a good excuse not to have to pull weeds for the next few weeks?!

Noah can be easily persuaded to do things by his siblings.  Noah had a sucker and Daniel begged to have a taste.  Noah obliged even telling me about his sucker while he was letting Daniel have a taste.  Boy it's no wonder why my kids get sick so often!!  I am all for sharing things, but I draw the line at suckers!  By the way don't pay attention to Sarah's horrible tantrum screams in the background.  That's just the norm around here, unfortunately.

Noah speech has really taken off.  He says quite a bit.  Most people can't understand him, but at least he is talking.  He even tattled on Daniel yesterday--I don't know if I should be glad about that though.  He thinks he is pretty 'awesome possum' as you can see: 
Last Friday we were able to get together for dinner with Aaron's friend Brad from Texas.  We had a good time seeing them and meeting their cute little girl.  Aaron was excited when he found out they were going to be in Utah for a week.  It was a fun night.  The kids especially enjoyed it since they all got to stay up until 10pm.  They sure weren't fun the next day though!!  Can we say ONERY!!??  However, I got to escape for a few hours to have lunch with some friends one of which is moving very soon to Arizona.  It seems like everyone from our old neighborhood is moving and it is sad to see them go.  I know we moved, too, but we are still somewhat close by.  I guess that's life, but I never have done well with change...

Last week we were invited to friend's house to have a water party.  I dressed everyone in their swimming suits and we headed over.  We hadn't been there but a few minutes when Sarah came running by me soaken wet.  That's when I noticed the brown water running down her legs.  **SIGH**.  Yep she had taken care of business in her swimming suit--GROSS!!  Someday I hope this girl will get potty training (especially #2) down.  I had to grab her, strip her down wash her off and wash out her swimming suit.  It was little on the embarrassing side for sure!!  That wouldn't have been that bad, however, she did the exact same thing again on Tuesday.  However, that time I made her wear a swim diaper, but that poor diaper can only hold so much and yes she started leaking brown water down her legs again.  I love my little girl, I love my little girl, I love my little girl....I guess we will just wait and see if we ever get invited over ever again.  She really keeps life interesting that's for sure!!

In keeping things interesting...The topic of deodorant came up at dinner and we even debunked a few myths about it. #1-No, deodorant does not make all your armpit hair fall out.    I would be really excited if that really happened, but that's because I am a girl.  I guess armpit hair is a desirable trait in boys/men and the boys were hesitant to use it just in case.  Also how can any armpit hair fall out if you don't have any to begin with?!  Anyway, #2-No, deodorant does not inhibit your ability to make armpit farting noises. Aaron even demonstrated this last fact (much to my dismay.). Don't you love our classy dinner conversations?! I guess that's what you get when you have 4 boys plus 1 husband. Sarah and I are sorely outnumbered!!!!  Hopefully now we have debunked a few deodorant myths we won't have anymore stinky boys (with armpit hair if it ever comes in) at our house.

No comments: