"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Speeding Scooters, NICU Reunion, Mooooore Gooooood!!

I have been trying to come up with various activities to keep the kids busy during these last few weeks of summer.  The kids helped me out by pulling out our game of Twister.  Daniel and Matthew enjoyed playing for awhile.  When Sarah and Noah saw them having fun they came over to play as well, but their idea of playing Twister was piling on Matthew.  Matthew didn't like that 'game' too well and we had to put the Twister game away shortly after because Matthew didn't like getting wallered by his two youngest siblings as you can tell by his face.
 Noah has discovered the bar stools can help him achieve his goals of reaching things he shouldn't be able too.  The other day I was getting ready for the day in my bathroom when I heard him just screaming outside my bedroom door.  I went to check it out only to find he was quite upset because he couldn't get his bar stool to slide across the carpet so he could get into stuff in my bathroom.  Poor guy.  It's hard being a little shorty ;)--I didn't mind too much though.
 Lately the kids have discovered the yumminess of Ramen noodles.  However I think they drop more on the floor, counter and themselves than they actually get inside their mouths as you can see.  What a mess!!
 Sarah loves watching Dora the Explorer.  The other day she went and found this whole outfit by herself and got dressed.  Don't you love the Velcro shoes, backpack, tight shorts and matching socks?  What a funny girl.  Afterward she wouldn't answer to Sarah anymore she would only answer if you called her Dora.  If you dare called her Sarah she'd firmly tell you that her name was Dora and to call her such.  She is one strong willed girl!!
 Last Thursday was BYU football teams' open practice.  You could go see the team have their practice on the field.  Aaron thought it would be nice to take all the kids to watch them.  He also had some ticket vouchers he had to exchange while we were down there.  While we were there we went inside their sports museum and looked at all the different awards the BYU athletes had won.  I didn't know who most of them were, but Aaron did.  The kids did find someone I did recognize ,though, which was Jimmer Fredette.  We took a picture of them standing in front of his jersey.
 After that we went and met up with my old college roommate KiLee and had lunch with her and her two kids.  It was lots of fun to catch up on things.  Her husband just finished physical therapy school in Pennsylvania and they have since moved to College Station in Texas for his first physical therapist job.  She happened to be in town for her brother's wedding so we were lucky enough to meet up.  It was nice to see her again.  Thank goodness for blogs and Facebook these days.  It makes keeping up with people a little easier.

In the downstairs bathroom the kids have been having trouble getting the shower curtain all the way closed.  We have tried to teach them how to close it completely, but we keep finding all kinds of water all over the floor every morning.  The last straw happened a few weeks ago when Aaron went to clean that bathroom and pulled the wet bathroom rug away from the kick board to find mold growing on it.  Ewwwww!!  That's when we decided to buy a shower/tub door and install it.  This is what Aaron did on Saturday and we are hoping it keeps the floor dry and the mold away:
 Hopefully it is easier to completely close than the shower curtain!  It doesn't look very nice, but we are going for practical rather than looks at this point!

Last night I went to turn out Noah's light before I went to bed only to find him asleep on the floor again.  At least this time he made sure his baby was next to him and was covered with her blanket.  What a sweet boy!  I then noticed he had pulled off the door stop again.  I can't count how many times I have had to put that stupid doorstop back on only to have him yank it off again.  Also as you can see I still have not cleaned off his crayon wall art yet from the time he snuck a crayon in with him during quiet time.  What a stinker!!
 This past week Aaron has been MIA quite a bit.  Between working late and soccer he has been really busy.  That has been really hard on me since it is summer, Kids in the Park is over and I am with the kids 24/7 without a break.  I finally had hit my limit of kid craziness and went on a girls day out with my mom sans kids on Saturday.  We left that morning to go school shopping and I didn't get back until that afternoon.  It was a splendid day!  Aaron knew that I was pretty frazzled so while I was gone he cleaned the whole house for me and installed the new shower door in the boys' bathroom downstairs.  What a nice guy!  It was a great day!  I finally regained some of my sanity, but I am still counting down until the start of school which is three weeks away.  I can do it, I can do it, I can do it....

While we were out shopping I picked up a new princess backpack for Sarah since she will be starting preschool this year.  She was so excited when I showed it to her.  She has been toting it around ever since she got it. 
 She even packed it full of random stuff.  I peaked in it this morning only to find the carbon monoxide detector, a toy phone, a baby rattle, the Password game buzzer and other various items.  I think her preschool teacher will be all set with such things ;).  What a crazy girl!

Noah is turning into quite the chatter box.  He lets his wishes be known and if talking doesn't work, he has perfected the shrill scream that will certainly get anyone's attention within mile radius.  He has figured out that the squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease (attention) in our family.  Geez you would think he has four other siblings to compete with or something ;).  However, he does let you know when he really likes something.  He says, "Moooore Gooooood!"  I finally got him to say it in front of the camera this morning:

He really loves to scream it after receiving the bread for the sacrament on Sundays.  It's pretty awesome (aka embarrassing).  At least everyone in church knows that he really enjoyed his bread and that it was, "Mooooore Goooooood!"

Speaking of Sunday....Matthew seems to keep things very interesting every Sunday.  Lately he has been really excited to let everyone know that he will receive the Aaronic Priesthood on his next birthday.  He tells anyone and everyone he runs into about it whether they know what he is talking about or not.  This last Sunday right after sacrament meeting ended he felt the need to tell the bishop about it.  As soon as the closing prayer was over, he jumped up out of his seat and ran up to the stand and I mean jumped up and ran up to the stand.  He then proceeded to tell the bishop about how he was going to receive the Aaronic Priesthood on his next birthday.  It happened so fast that Aaron and I didn't have a chance to grab him before he took off.  The whole chapel could hear his whole conversation with the bishop, too, because that kid only has two volumes--loud or louder when he talks.  Finally Aaron was able to run up to the stand and grab him.  The bishop was gracious enough to talk to him about it until Aaron went up and grabbed him.  Hey at least he is excited about it--that's one positive way to look at it. 

One exciting thing happened yesterday--after dinner Aaron and I heard Sarah tell everyone that she needed to go stinky and went into the bathroom and locked the door.  Aaron and I had to look at each other to make sure we weren't dreaming.  That is the first time she has ever done that on her own initiative.  After a few minutes we decided to check on her to make sure she was ok.  Since she had locked the bathroom door, Aaron had to grab the door unlocker and unlock the door.  When he went into the check on her she jumped off the toilet and Aaron could see the toilet was filled with toilet paper.  He then asked her if she went stinky.  She exclaimed, "YES!" and before Aaron could stop her she proceeded to stick her hand inside the toilet and pushed away all the wet slimy toilet paper so Aaron could see that she had actually gone stinky.  He was so grossed out that he almost forgot to get excited for her.  She was so proud!  I was excited for her until Aaron told me what she had done to show him her stinky.  Umm I don't think you can ever have enough hand sanitizer for that.  Ewwww!!  But I need to stay positive and just be glad that she actually took care of it on her own without kicking, screaming or fighting me in anyway!!  Yay for Sarah.  Now we just need to teach her that the toilet is disgusting and to never put your hand in the water without a very good reason...

This last Saturday we got the opportunity to attend the McKay Dee NICU reunion.  It was held at a water park Saturday night.  They had one last year, but we didn't make it so this was the first one that we have gone to since Noah had been born.  The kids were excited to finally go swimming this year for free--that is if you don't count the $105,000 NICU cost.  Thank goodness for health insurance!!  Anyway, when we got there Aaron and I had to split up because the older boys didn't want to spend their time in the kiddie pool with Sarah and Noah.  They even provided dinner for us, but when we went to get dinner, Noah screamed during the whole thing because he didn't want to get out of the water for any reason even if it was for food.  He LOVED swimming!!  He would follow Sarah around and when she went into water that was too deep for him he still followed her.  I had to rescue him a few times, but he got mad anytime I tried to pick him up for any reason even if it was to get his head above water.  Don't come between a baby and his swimming--Geez!!  When it was time to go we went over to dry off.  Noah was just a screaming.  That's when a guy Aaron used to work with up on base came over to say hi.  He had since retired and was helping to take care of his grand kids.  He brought his daughter over who was a tech at the NICU to introduce her.  Aaron started telling her about Noah's NICU story and about how not only Noah had a NICU stay, but his cousin Sydney had a NICU stay there as well.  She knew all about our story which was funny.  Her 5 year old daughter then came up to stand next to her mom.  That's when Josh told her, "I thought all your kids would be grown up!"  meaning boy you sure look too old to have young kids!  Aaron and I were so embarrassed!  Good thing Noah was screaming his little head off so we were able to get out of there ASAP!!  Noah continued to scream all the way home because he was so mad we took him out of the water.  What a crazy night!

A few weeks ago we were able to have the missionaries over for dinner.  The kids were pretty excited to have some guests for dinner.  While I was fixing dinner Josh was talking to me about having them over.  I told him he could ask them any questions he had about going on a mission.  When they first walked through the door one of them was darker skinned.  Josh immediately asked him if he spoke English.  Seeing as he was from Missouri I tried to quietly tell Josh that he did speak English, but he wouldn't take my word for it.  He kept asking the missionary what language he spoke until the missionary answered and said English.  Oh, Josh, what are we going to do with him?!  We are trying to teach him tact, but as you can see it is not sinking in very well....During dinner our conversation happened to bring up food allergies.  I have been wondering about Daniel's ability to serve a mission since he has such severe food allergies.  We were so excited to hear that another elder in their district did have some severe food allergies and he was able to go on a mission.  That made my night.  I am hoping that Daniel will be able to go when his time comes which is only 12 short years away.  EEEK!! 

On a final note of our family craziness....Matthew has been really fascinated with policemen lately.  It doesn't help that we have three policemen living in close proximity to our house, either.  If he ever sees them drive up in their police cruiser he immediately runs over to them and asks them if they put anyone in jail that day and if they will turn on their police lights and siren for him.  Well a few weeks ago we went to a parade.  One of our police neighbors was helping patrol the parade and Matthew saw him and ran up to him.  That's when the policeman gave Matthew a police badge sticker.  Ohhh boy....Matthew went berserk!!  He started yelling trying to sound like a police siren.  Right then a little girl came scooting past up on a scooter.  Matthew took off screaming at her with his police siren yell.  She looked at him like he was crazy and tried to get away from him on her scooter.  That just encouraged Matthew to go after her even faster.  Finally I caught up to him and stopped him, but not before the little girl was freaked out and kept looking back at Matthew like he had corn growing out of his ears.  I told Matthew that he couldn't do that, but he just told me that the little girl was speeding on her scooter and he needed to give her a ticket.  What a crazy kid.  He certainly keeps us on our toes.  Good thing school starts in three weeks!!  Not that I am keeping track or anything ;).  I can last three more weeks, I can last three more weeks, I can last three more weeks.....Hopefully we have no more speeding scooters come by us in the next three weeks or they will be in trouble!

No comments: