"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Betting, Snowbird, Oops, Conscious Sedation

Last week we had the opportunity to go up to Snowbird resort with our friends to stay overnight.  Since we never got a chance to have a vacation this year we counted this as our vacation.  We had lots of fun.  We went up Thursday night and let the kids stay up and play games or watch movies while the adults played games.  The next day we went on a hike where we got to see some pretty views.  It is nice because everyone has a buddy their age except for Matthew, but he's everyone's buddy.  Here are all the kids sitting on the rock:
 They then had a platform you could stand on.  It was just perfect up there no too cold not too hot and very pretty.
 After the hike we played at the playground then we went swimming in the outdoor pool.  It was a tad chilly, but doable and fun.  It was a fun minivacation.  The kids loved it because they got to miss Friday of school.  It was just fun to get away and to spend some fun time with friends.

We got home Friday evening.  The next morning we headed out and about and came across a children's safety fair.  The kids got to spin the wheel-o-prizes and Josh and Daniel both spun free swimming passes to the aquatics center.  Saweet!!  However, that means they want to use the ASAP and remind us every five minutes.  Oh well, I am sure we will go soon because I have another coupon to get everyone in for 1/2 half.  I see swimming in our future :).
 Saturday night was the annual rivalry game between BYU and the U of U.  Aaron made a bet with a guy at work that BYU would win the game.  If they didn't he would wear a U of U shirt all day and vice versa if the U won.  As you can see Aaron lost and had to wear a bright red U of U shirt all day.  He was not happy about it, but that's what you get when you lose a bet.  He wouldn't even look at me for a picture he was so not happy wearing that shirt!
 Sarah finally got her stitches out.  I thought she would do great, but I was wrong.  The nurse tried twice to take them out and Sarah had a fit.  I ended up having to hold her down while they got them out.  Now she has a pretty sweet scar.
 Daniel learned the hard way why you don't leave your homework out with little siblings around.  Sarah got a hold of some scissors and went to town on Daniel's homework.  Once Daniel saw it he was quite upset, but hopefully he learned his lesson and will put his homework away when he's finished.  As for Sarah she got lots of practice of using scissors :)  trying to stay positive here.
 Last year we had a running joke with the BYU U of U rivalry game with the Einzingers.  They switched our BYU license plate with a U of U one.  This year we had to do something back.  Early in the week Aaron got a Y sticker to put over the U that they had on their curb address.  It took them a few days to notice, but Aaron thought he was pretty slick.  Aaron then tried to secretly put a BYU magnet on the back of their car, but Josh can't ever keep a secret.  Right after Aaron put it on Josh told them all about it 5 minutes later.  So much for trying to keep it secret...

Well BYU lost the game horribly.  We don't have cable so Aaron had to listen to the game online instead.  While he was listening we got to fold laundry--Boy do we know how to keep the romance alive in our marriage :).  We just tried to forget that the game even happened, but we got a nice reminder Monday evening when we heard our doorbell ring.  We answered the door to find the Einzingers standing on our porch with a bright red bag full of all RED things like Swedish Fish, licorice, etc.  They even made this little note to rub BYU's loss in even more:
 It was funny.  Noah and Sarah got to the note before I could take a picture if you can't tell by the nice artwork that is on the front of the U.  I can't wait until next year....hehehehehe.

Well Sarah is teaching Noah all her little stinker ways.  The other morning I was reading the newspaper when I noticed that it was awfully quiet.  That usually doesn't mean anything good.  I finally found Sarah and Noah in my bathroom brushing their teeth with Josh and Matthew's toothbrushes with puddles of water on the floor and toothpaste smeared all over my tub.  Awesome.  While I was cleaning that up they went back into the kitchen and started eating butter by the spoonful out of the tub that got left out on the counter after someone had toast for breakfast.  Good thing I love my kids is all I can say....
 The other morning after Sarah woke up I told her she had dance that morning.  Well she decided to get herself dressed.  She came out wearing her recital costume from last year and her school shoes.  She completed the ensemble with her nice bed head hair.  She was pretty proud of herself and got very angry when I tried to get her to change into her regular dance clothes.  I did get her to pose for a picture that Noah immediately jumped into because he is always up for a photo op.  They are also both holding their babies.  What crazy kids!
 Last week the kids had dentist appointments.  Unfortunately Sarah and Noah had a cavity :(.  Since Noah was so little in order to fix his cavities they would have to sedate him using IV medication.  We had our appointment very early this morning at 6 am--yawn!  They got him distracted wtih a toy bucket while they gave him a shot in his arm.  He was not happy, but it only took about 2 minutes before he became quite floppy.  They then came and took him.  It was hard to have them take Noah away out of my arms.  They wouldn't even let me stay back there with him.  After they finished they came and got me, but wouldn't let me pick him up until he woke up.  I felt bad for him because I could see the left over tape marks around his eyes where they had taped his eyes closed.  I also saw tiny bits of blood around the corners of his mouth.  It was hard not to just scoop him up and give him loves!
However, when he did start to stir he was pretty mad.  He wanted to go home, but he did sweeten up  little bit when he got to eat an Otter Pop to make sure he could keep some food down before he could go home.  When we got home he was pretty woozy, so I just had to sit and hold him.  Tough work, but someone's got to do it ;).  If you even tried to put him down he would scream and then try to wobble off the couch, but he was really unsteady so I didn't dare leave his side until he was more steady on his feet.  He had a hard time for quite a while.  I was starting to get a little worried, but he finally snapped out of it and started being Mr. Stinkerpants by the afternoon.  Sarah gets to get hers fixed on Monday, but, thankfully she doesn't need IV sedation to do it.  It should be interesting.... 

No comments: