"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fun Trip to Primary Children's ER, Daniel's Allergist Visit, Family Pictures



What a busy and crazy week we have had!  I thought when soccer ended last week things would calm down.  I was wrong!  Tuesday night Sarah started complaining of a tummy ache.  Now what kid doesn't do this as some point or another so I didn't pay too much attention.  The next day she complained the whole day of having a tummy ache that seemed to be getting progressively worse.  I started to get really worried when her friend came over to play and when she went to go outside she started screaming and doubled over in pain and wouldn't move.  I tried to comfort her, but she was hurting so bad she wouldn't stop crying.  At this point she had my full attention because if you know Sarah she is one tough little girl and doesn't usually cry unless she is hurt quite badly.  Finally after quite a while she calmed down and she felt warm to me.  I took her temperature to find she had a fever.  Uh oh.  She had no signs of diarrhea of nausea and vomiting either so we called and made an appointment to the pediatrician's office.  Of course it was after hours and we couldn't see her regular pediatrician so we went to the 24 hour pediatrician's office.  They got us back and examined her and found her tummy to be quite tender especially in the lower right quadrant area.  Too rule out a urinary tract infection they told me to try and get a clean catch urine sample.  I looked at them and tried not to burst out laughing--now that should be very interesting indeed to try and get a little girl who is newly potty trained to try and pee into a tiny specimen container without contaminating the sample in any way.  They realized that it would be rather difficult so they gave me a hat to put in the toilet to have her pee into and then pour the contents into the specimen container.  Now this would be a little easier to do.  We got up to go to the bathroom and Sarah couldn't even stand up straight.  She slowly walked over to the bathroom hunched over in pain which was concerning.  We got back to the bathroom and I had to clean her off with an antimicrobial towelette which was just weird and she didn't like it any more than I did.  She thought it was weird that we were pouring her urine into a cup and bringing it back outside the bathroom to give to someone.  Her urine sample ended up ruling out a urinary tract infection, but she did have trace amounts of blood and protein in it which was unusual.  When that came back negative they sent us over to the lab to get blood drawn to see what was going on.  After waiting what seemed like forever they got us back and drew her blood.  Sarah just sat in the chair and didn't even make a sound when they put the needle into her arm.  They had to fish around to get the vein and she still just sat there calmly not even whimpering.  Then they sent us home and told us they would call us in about an hour with the results.  They did call us an hour later and told us that she definitely had something going on since her white blood cell count was quite high at 17--showing that there is an infection somewhere.  They then told us we needed to take her on down to Primary Children's Medical Center Emergency Room because they needed to get a CT scan to rule out an appendicitis and to not let her eat or drink just in case they would need to do surgery.  At this time it was 11 pm.  After a quick priesthood blessing by Aaron and our neighbor we set off down to Primary's while Aaron stayed back with the boys at home.  Luckily the pediatrician's office had called ahead so they knew to expect us.  They got us back into a room and Sarah who was still in pain just wanted to lay down on the bed and not be messed with.  She looked rather pathetic:
 They had us repeat the urinalysis since the last one wasn't 100% clean catch and it also had trace amounts of blood and protein in it.  Now this time they told us that I either needed to get a clean catch urine straight into the specimen container and not into a hat or they would have to catheterize her.  We went into the bathroom and I cleaned her off again and had to guess where to hold the specimen container in order to get the urine.  I guess wrong, unfortunately.  I got pee all over my hands (ewwwww), but luckily I did get enough in the specimen container to make it count.  Sarah just looked at me like um....why are you doing that?!  After that came back negative again they scheduled her for an abdominal ultrasound.  They like to do an ultrasound before they resort to a CT scan since they don't want to expose her to any more radiation than they have to.  Finally they got her back for the ultrasound at 2 am.  At this point I was expecting the worst so I was pleasantly surprised and quite relieved when they found her appendix and that it looked normal.  After the ultrasound they got us back to our ER room and then after another hour told us that they didn't find anything immediately acutely wrong.  They ended up sending us home and that I should just keep an eye on her as she might be starting into a stomach bug of some sort.  As we were leaving they gave her a dose of ibuprofen and a slurpee.  We got home around 3 am and we both crashed.  Unfortunately, the boys were up bright and early at 7 am to get ready for the day.  DOH!!   That morning it was Grandparent's Day at Josh and Daniel's school so Grandma T came up to spend the morning with them.  They were excited to see her and take her to school with them.  She said they introduced her to everyone as they walked down the halls which was funny.  When Sarah finally woke up later that morning she didn't have a fever anymore and she said her tummy didn't hurt anymore.  WHAT?!  I kept her home from preschool anyway since she had had a fever just a few hours previously.  She went on to have a normal day without any sign of a fever or complaint of a tummy ache.  During the day she did end up going stinky in the bathroom which she was quite proud of.  I let her put on her own pretty lips, but I immediately regretted that decision when she came out of my bathroom with her lips oozing lip gloss down her chin.  She thought she was beautiful, though.
 Whatever was wrong it cleared up and we haven't had any problems with fevers or stomach aches since.  I guess it was just one of those really random don't know what just happened kind of things...however, I am glad it wasn't anything serious!!

Friday was one of Daniel's semiannual allergist visits.  This visit it was time to get his blood drawn to check how allergic he is to different allergens.  We won't know the results for a week.  I have a feeling not too much has changed since he had an accidental exposure to milk and eggs in the last six months and reacted horribly to it.  Here he is getting his blood drawn.  Sarah is watching the phlebotomist's every move since just had the same thing done to her two days previously.
 Boy Daniel should get an Oscar for his great acting ability.  To hear him you would have thought they were cutting off his arm.  Jeez!!  I guess it worked for him, though, because they sure loaded him up with prizes and stickers afterward.
 Yesterday morning I took our family pictures in the park.  Afterward Daniel had a birthday party to go to.  For the second session of Conference we went on a drive up Sardine Canyon to Logan to look at the pretty Fall foliage.  When we got up there we were sad to see our regular ice cream shop we stop at had closed.  We ended up getting some ice cream and some squeaky cheese at the local cheese plant.  It was yummy, but hard to do since they didn't have anywhere to sit down and eat your ice cream.  We all stood in the doorway of the cheese factory trying to eat our ice cream and stay out of the way of the people coming and going.  We will need to find a new ice cream place next fall since that one didn't work out too well.  The fall leaves were pretty, though.
 Here's the family pictures we got:
We were going to borrow my brother's tripod for our camera, but luckily we ran into our neighbor at the park who snapped the family picture for us.  With five little kids it was impossible to get everyone looking at the camera at the same time.  It was Aaron's insistence that we all wore BYU shirts.  Go Cougars!
 Why is it in pictures you finally see what you actually look like?!  Maybe Weight Watchers will be in my future....I ended up taking the rest of the pictures, though.

Here's Miss Sarahbug:
 Bubba:
 Josh:
 Matthew:
 Daniel:
 Me and my hunna:
 The boys of our family (Noah was too fascinated by the ducks waddling by to look at the camera):
 Here's the girls of our family who are very few in numbers:
 Here's the kids:  We had to corral Noah in between his siblings to keep him from running away.  He's mad that he can't get out so that's why he is not smiling in the picture.
Aaron and I were looking forward to this weekend.  Our race was over and we didn't need to get up early on Saturday to do a long run and we had Conference instead of our usual 9 am church.  Aaron let me sleep in until 8:30 am Saturday morning so his turn to sleep in was this morning.  He got until 8:21 until we had two emergencies that I needed immediate help with.  Sarah had just had diarrhea in her pants that was leaking out and at the same time Noah had gotten a hold of the gallon of milk container and emptied almost the entire jug all over the counter and floor.  Not a nice way to wake up, but he only got shorted out of 10 minutes which isn't too bad........but that's not what Aaron thinks;).  Gotta love our crazy family life...

3 comments:

KiLee said...

Holy cow - that is so scary with Sarah! And so weird that it just cleared up! But, it's nice that it wasn't anything serious & that she's fine again!
Also, I love your family pictures. They turned out so cute! And I think you look incredible! Always have, always will!

Rebecca said...

You're so nice! It was scary, but I am glad it turned out to not be anything. How's the pregnancy going?

Rebecca said...

You're so nice! It was scary, but I am glad it turned out to not be anything. How's the pregnancy going?