"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, August 15, 2008

The County Fair

Yesterday we made the annual trek to the Davis County Fair. I didn't enter anything this year because I procrastinated too late and also the kids have eaten all of my nice looking bottles of fruit and jam. Besides I didn't know if I would be around to collect my things after it was over so I will just wait until next year. We went yesterday for the famous all-you-can-eat Meadow Gold ice cream tent. We just brought a ton of fruit snacks, the Epi-Pen and Benadryl for Daniel and strapped him in the stroller while the rest of us dined on yummy ice cream. Daniel was in heaven with all-you-can-eat fruit snacks so it wasn't as bad as it sounds!! Matthew and Josh didn't enjoy it as much as Aaron and me, but it was still yummy!! I figured I had my last weigh in at the OB's office that morning so I could splurge a little--or A LOT!! After the ice cream we went around to see all the animals. Josh is our animal lover in the family. He kept trying to pet anything he could reach in between the bars to touch, but some weren't as friendly as others, though. Daniel was the opposite by trying to stay as far away of anything alive as possible. He even ran away in fear almost crying after a goat baaaaaaad--or whatever it is called--at him. Matthew was a happy medium, but mostly he just enjoyed looking at the animals. They had horse rides available for kids so all of them got a turn. They all loved it. Daniel liked riding the horse, but made sure he was only touching the saddle and not the horse in any way--like holding his legs up on the saddle while he rode it. They even had a petting zoo with a mule, goats, sheep, donkey, bunnies and a llama which Josh of course loved, but Daniel hid behind us every chance he got. Matthew took it in stride.
This morning Josh had his follow-up neurology appointment and everything looks good. We will go back in a few more months and if everything still looks good we will only have to make the trek for him yearly. I have been to Primary Children's Hospital so many times I think I could drive it with my eyes closed!! You know it's bad when you check in and they ask which one of your children they are seeing today!!

Matthew has not been one that is too patient to watch movies, but we have found the show Signing Time is one he and the other two really enjoy and it is pretty educational. Daniel has learned quite a few signs and likes to show them when he gets a chance. Yesterday at the doctor's office while we were waiting to be seen Daniel was doing a sign--or we thought-- and it was one we didn't recognize. Aaron then asked him what that sign was and he looked at us as a matter of fact and said, "It is booger, Dad." He had just picked his nose and was trying to get rid of the evidence when Aaron saw him make 'the sign'.

1 comment:

Nurse Heidi said...

You always have the best stories. The booger sign...hee hee : ). Plus I love that you equip yourself with an arsenal of medication and then go into the ice cream tent anyway. Hey, gotta live!

Happy labor vibes your way : )!! Wow, you made it to term. That's a first. I'm actually going to be up your way tomorrow, so I may give you call.