"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Our Crappy Trip to McDonalds

We gave the kids a choice of what fun thing they wanted to do today after we cleaned the house. They decided they wanted to go to a restaurant with playground in it. I had a hard time with this because I don't really care for fast food all that much and also I am a GERMAPHOBE and have a hard time with my kids playing in the playland. To help with the germaphobe part we made a special trip home after running errands just so the kids could go potty since I HATE public restrooms especially with kids who insist on touching everything. I also had some pretty sweet coupons for McDonalds so we decided to go there. I don't know what it is about Josh--he has been this way every since I have known him--every time we step foot in to a playland he has to go potty and it is not #1 we are talking about. This has happened and I really mean EVERY time we ever go to a playland. It was the WORST when he wasn't #2 trained all the way--we had to throw away so many Scooby-Doo (or Scooby-Poo as we nicknamed them) underwear it wasn't even funny. Anyway, we hadn't even gotten our food before Josh came and told me he needed to go potty. I asked him why he didn't take care of it when we were at home not more than 5 minutes ago and told him that he would have to hold it. He was fine for the first 15 minutes and then it became apparent it was a pressing issue. He came back and asked to go again. Aaron went to take him to the bathroom, but after smelling the horrible smell and the seeing the locked door of the McDonalds bathroom (and after some coaxing from Aaron because he really didn't want to take Josh inside there) Josh decided he would try and hold it some more. Finally after being there for about 30 minutes Josh and came and sat down because he just couldn't play anymore. Aaron decided to have pity on the poor kid and loaded him up in the car while leaving me there with the rest of the kids to take him all the way home to go. Afterwards when they returned I asked Josh if he was ok and he said, "I feel like a person." I think he meant like a new person, but I got the meaning just the same. We let the kids play some more when Matthew came back to tell us Sarah was stinky. After that we decided it was time to leave especially when we discovered it was a pretty bad diaper that was so full it was about to burst. We had to change it in the parking lot because it was so full I don't think it would have handled a trip home without leaking everywhere. So that was our crappy trip to McDonalds ;). The kids must have had a good time because Sarah was truly "pooped" by the time we got home. She stayed asleep transferring her from the car to the family room floor. She is still asleep as I write this. Who knew that even with potty trained kids the potty could still be this much of an issue!

2 comments:

The Crandall Clan said...

You and your bathroom issues. :) I remember one year at girls camp and you HELD IT THE WHOLE TIME!!! I couldn't believe it. :) Poor kids, look what you have passed on. ;) Hahahaha

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm with you.....I too am a germaphobe and hate playlands...yuck! And I detest public restrooms!!! Oh, and hand sanitizer is a staple in the diaper bag!