"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hide and Stink, Moving with Strep, Welcome Me!!

Wow, where to start?  I have been away from the blogosphere for about two weeks now, but I have a very good reason--WE FINALLY MOVED INTO OUR NEW HOUSE!!  Between packing, packing, packing, taking care of kids, actually moving and unpacking, unpacking and unpacking I have stayed pretty busy!!  I will hit a few highlights of the last two weeks.  Last week we were hitting very low reserves as to our food situation.  I had to run and pick up a few things to help us last through the move.  I wasn't at the store very long until I realized that with each turn Noah flopped onto my hands pushing the cart.  The poor kid fell asleep.  Too bad you can't see the drool dripping out of his mouth and down the cart in the picture. 
 During checkout he flopped back to get more comfortable and stayed in this position until I loaded him back into his car seat when we got to the car.  What I wish to be able to sleep that sound in those positions!!  The clerks were all laughing at him.
 Moving day finally came upon us last Friday (as in 10 days ago.)  During the day Aaron and I were packing stuff up.  Noah watched Aaron very intently as he took the dining table apart.
 Later on in the morning we went to pick up the big ol' moving truck.
 We had people scheduled to come and help us move the heavy things later on that evening so during the day Aaron and I made a few trips with the moving truck full of just boxes.  I kept thinking to myself how in the world had we acquired so much stuff (aka CRAP!!).  I guess having five kids will do that to you!  That afternoon Grandpa T came and picked up the kids to take them for the weekend--which was a HUGE help.  It seems while Noah and Sarah were around we had to pack each box three times at least.  Every time we put something in one they would take it back out and cart it off somewhere.  That was a little frustrating to say the least!!  Anyway, once the kids were whisked away for a fun filled weekend with Grandma and Grandpa T the real work began.  We got lots of help from our ward, friends and family and are so appreciative of all the help we got!!  Moving stinks big time!!  By late Friday night our garage and house were FULL of boxes.  Luckily we had some help in setting up our bed so we could crash when all the stuff (crap) was unloaded off the truck.  That night Aaron was completely wiped out.  I was tired, but Aaron was completely exhausted.  The next morning the unpacking began.  We truly had our work cut out for us!!  This is what the three car garage looked like (and that was just the garage and not the house!!):
As the morning went on Aaron continued to be exhausted and could hardly move.   I woke up that morning not feeling the best, either, but we both chalked it up to being old and moving so many things the day before.  However, as the day went on Aaron felt worse and worse.  He finally asked me to feel his forehead and he was burning up with a fever.  I sent him over to the insta care to get checked out because he felt so crappy.  While he was gone I got more unpacking done, but I wasn't feeling the best either.  Aaron came home to let me know he test positive for STREP throat.  Of all the weekends to get sick!!  Instead of messing around with pill antibiotics he just asked to get a shot in the bum.  He took a large dose of Tylenol and ibuprofen and laid down while I tried to unpack.  Unfortunately that night I started feeling really crappy.  I had a fever all night long and knew that Aaron had shared his unfortunate bug.  I ended up going in for my shot in the bum after testing positive for strep as well Sunday morning.  Again could there have been a worse weekend to get sick?!?!  Oh well, at least we didn't have to unpack and take care of kids which was nice!!  Sunday afternoon Aaron's mom, Jill and Sydney came for a visit and to help us unpack.  The kids came back from G&G T's house later on that afternoon, too.  Aaron and I didn't get as much done over the weekend as we would have liked, but we gave ourselves some leniency since we both had STREP THROAT!!  Anyway, we were very appreciative of all the help with baby sitting and unpacking because we really needed it!  The kids had a fabulous time with G & G T's house during their fun weekend visit.  We also now have a somewhat organized house (thank you to Jill and Grandma M who did a TON!) which is nice.  It was also nice to have the visit as well as help from Jill and Grandma M.  Don't get me wrong we are not done unpacking, but we have a pretty good start on it!  We are also feeling a lot better after our double shots in the bum, too.  I am glad I live in a time with antibiotics that's for sure!!

It's really hard moving because life still happens even while your whole house is in chaos and you still have to roll with the punches.  Two weeks ago right before we moved Matthew brought home this fun little paper:
 Aaron and I have been dreading this.  We had discussed this particular matter for a bit even before we got the notice, but hadn't come to a decision of what we wanted to do.  When we got the paper we had to make a decision of whether to send him or to keep him back.  We talked to his teacher and between the three of us, we came to the conclusion that Matthew was not mature enough to attend at this point.  We were afraid he would learn names and use them later on at very inappropriate times.  That's all I need is to have him repeat such things such as penis or other such terms in the middle of primary or some other place like that.  We will take care of it later on when he is more ready to hear things.  As for now we will just give him some deodorant and tell him to use it--and hopefully, he will.

The first Monday night  in our new house we had Family Home Evening.  After the lesson we played hide and seek for the activity.  The first round Daniel found an empty cupboard and hid in it.  It was an excellent place because he was the last one found.  The next round Sarah decided she wanted to hide in that spot.  She grabbed her blankie and hid.  Aaron was the seeker and saved her for last.  He walked around the island in the kitchen pretending to not know where Sarah was.  That's when the smell hit him.  He exclaimed, "P. U.!!"  That's when Daniel fessed up and said he was the stinky one because he had been tooting.  Now the smell had been explained, Aaron opened the cupboard up to "find" Sarah.  That's when Sarah crawled out and Aaron discovered that the smell was not coming from Daniel, but from Sarah's special cupboard.  She must have thought we were playing hide and 'stink'.  Sarah had found her special spot while hiding and took care of business.  The bad thing was she was wearing panties and a skirt.  That meant that when she slid out of the cupboard she "skidded" out if you know what I mean.  YUCK!!!  I got the lucky job of cleaning Sarah up while Aaron got to clean the cupboard.  Ewwwww!!  There's not enough Lysol...  I guess Sarah has taken it upon herself to really break in the new house!

Thursday night we had movie night and busted out the popcorn maker.  The kids loved watching it and every time they know we are getting it out they come running.
Yesterday we decided we needed to get everyone out of the house for a bit.  We decided to head down to Ikea to try and find a cheap TV stand.  While we were looking around Sarah kept sneaking off.  It was really annoying and scary because the place was pretty busy.  In the middle of the store she decided to hide under a dining room table.  I guess once she got under the table she decided to continue her hide and 'stink' game because she was very fragrant by the time we found her.  Again she was wearing panties and again it was a huge mess.  Luckily we were close to the end of the store, so we just bought our cheap TV stand and went out to the car.  I loaded the kids up and then I tried to help Aaron load the TV stand.  Any which way we tried we could not get the stupid thing to fit.  I had to sit out in the very stinky car with poopy girl while Aaron had to return the stupid TV stand.  Very frustrating (and stinky) to say the least!!

We attended our new ward today.  We left our mark, too.  Noah and Sarah were little stinkers today.  Sarah was a literal stinker, too.  I had to take her out at the end of sacrament meeting because she had pooped in her underwear.  Changing poopy panties with tights and a dress is not a fun thing to do.  I had forgotten the pull ups so I had to slap a diaper on her and she was not happy about that, but that's what happens when you poop your underwear!  We had sacrament meeting first and then headed to primary.  This new ward's primary is teeny!!  There are only about 50 kids on the rolls and only half of them attend.  There are only two kids in Matthew's class, four kids in Sarah's.  Because the primary is so small, they only have one sharing time and one class time.  They have class time first and then everyone comes into sharing time.  I went to drop Sarah off in Sunbeams and she would not let me leave.  I ended up staying in class the whole time with her.  When it was time to go to sharing time she made me come with her as well.  As we were all in sharing time someone in the primary presidency was making announcements.  When she supposedly finished she mumbled to herself, "I think that is all the announcements I have."  That's when Matthew spoke up and said in his monotone voice, "Oh, you forgot to announce that everyone needs to welcome me!"  She then agreed and invited Matthew up.  As he walked up he went straight for the microphone.  I was silently screaming NOOOOO in my mind.  He got up to the microphone and spoke in it saying, "Ya, we just moved in so everyone needs to welcome me to primary.  Thanks for all your help!"  She also called up Daniel, Sarah, and Josh so they could sing the Hello song to them.  During the whole Hello song Josh kept pulling stupid faces and Sarah kept inching closer to the microphone.  When the song was over she dismissed Daniel, Josh Matthew and Sarah to sit down, but Sarah refused.  She walked up the microphone stairs and sat there.  The presidency member gave her the chance to say something, but she didn't, but she didn't move to sit down either.  I finally had to stand up to get her, but she wasn't ready to sit down.  When I grabbed her she started SCREAMING because she wanted to talk in the microphone like Matthew.  She screamed for a bit, too.  It was even more noticeable because the primary is so small!!  Anyway, she finally stopped screaming, but insisted on sitting in my lap for the rest of sharing time.  What a crazy girl.  Well I can now say that people know who all my kids are thanks to Sarah, Matthew and Noah.  Oh well it was bound to happen.  I can't hide my light (kids) under a bushel for very long at their insistence :).  While all this was happening in Primary, Aaron attempted to attend Sunday school with Noah.  He was only in there a few minutes when he noticed that Noah was THE ONLY baby in the room.  Of course at that time Noah started screaming so Aaron took him to nursery and hung out there for the rest of church.  I don't think this ward knows what hit them when our crazy family showed up!!




2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Holy buckets, as usual! Never a dull moment. Glad you finally made it all in to the new house in one piece and hopefully germ free from here on out for a while.

KiLee said...

I'm glad you guys are feeling better & are getting moved in! Enjoy your new house!! :)