"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring Break Part 2, Doctor Visit, Birthday Week

Thursday morning, Noah's birthday, of Spring Break I got the fun opportunity of taking all five kids to Noah and Josh's well child appointments.  I had made the appointment for Noah about two months ago not realizing that it fell during Spring Break--DOH!!  I didn't want to reschedule since the well child appointments take months to get in so I thought I would brave it.  I also hadn't made Josh's well child appointment yet so I called Wednesday afternoon and much to my surprise they were able to squeeze Josh in as well--WAHOO!!  That morning we had to be up, breakfasted, dressed hair done and out of the house by 9 am which is not an easy task especially with 5 crazy kids, however, we made it.  That morning amongst the craziness the kids did find time to play with the balloons Aaron had gotten up extra early (like 4:45 am) to go to the store and get.  What a nice Dad!!
Anyway, here is the bright, shiny, brand new two year old (with his stinker sister posing for the picture as well)!!
In getting ready for the doctor's visit I told the kids they could wear their flip flops only if they had a matching pair since Josh had brought mismatched pairs with him to G&G T's house.  I didn't specify if they had to fit or not because I didn't think I would need to.  But because I didn't, Josh thought it would be ok to wear Dad's flip flops that are WAY too big for him.  He figured they were matching and that would be enough.  Too bad they were so big he kept walking out of them and tripping over them when we were walking into the doctor's office.  Here's the nice HUGE flip flops:
The visit at the doctor's office went as well as can be expected with bringing all five kids with me.  I am happy to say Sarah did not poop her pants and that always makes any outing positive!  Noah is growing so big.  Noah is 26 pounds (48th percentile),  34 3/4 inches tall (55th percentile), and his head circumference is 48.3 cm (55th percentile).  He still fits on the baby growth chart, but he can also fit on the child growth chart now as well which makes some changes as to his percentiles--his height changes to 69th percentile and his weight changes to 33rd percentile, and his head circumference changes to 50th percentile.  He is growing up way too fast.  He is doing well on all his milestones and is an all around happy, laid back kid most of the time.  He is learning some not so much fun 'tricks of the trade' from his sister regarding trouble making, but he is a fun cuddly, kid.  Josh is growing as well.  I was surprised when they told me his weight of 46.5 pounds was in the 61st percentile since he is just skin and bones.  However, when they told me his height of 56 1/2 inches was in the 95th percentile is all balanced out.  His BMI is 11 which is underweight for his height and weight together.  I am not too worried since he eats so much food.  For example if you feed him pancakes he can eat up to 15 in one sitting and I am not lying!!  Everything was going great until they did an eye screening.  The poor kid couldn't even see the HUGE E at the top of the chart.  That meant he FAILED his eye test and we got referred to see an optometrist to get a more in depth vision screening.  I was so  hoping Josh would get my eyesight as I still don't need to wear any glasses or contacts at all yet.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  Aaron had to start wearing glasses in 3rd grade and it looks like Josh is following in his footsteps. 

When we got home it was around lunch time.  I was not fast enough to fixing lunch and before I knew it Sarah and Noah had gotten into the potato chips and had spilled them all over the floor.  See what I mean about Noah being Sarah's mischief apprentice?!
That afternoon I tried to make a fancy birthday cake for Noah that was Daniel friendly.  I cooked the cake in two different 8 inch round pans because I wanted to make something cut.  Well when the cakes had cooled I tried to get them out of the pans and it was a complete FAIL!!  I thought they would come out so easy since I had completely coated the pans with PAM until they were dripping.  Oh well that wasn't the case.  After I scraped out the cake pieces I tried to mold them into something which was another FAIL.  I then thought if I got enough frosting I could hide the cake disaster.  That didn't work out either.  The cake was so crumbly the frosting wouldn't stick to it at all.  By the end of it all this is how it turned out:
Not very pretty.  I called Aaron and told him to pick up a birthday cake for Noah on his way home from work and make things easier since I didn't have time to make another one.  I did keep the cake FAIL around since it was still Daniel friendly so he could eat that while the rest of us ate the store bought cake which ended up being Smurfs.  The picture is upside down, but I can't seem to fix that...
Noah didn't care what his cake looked like--he just knew it tasted GOOD.  However, he refused to use a fork and only ate it with one finger at a time.  He would poke his finger in the cake and ice cream and then lick off what was on his finger.  Needless to say it took him FOREVER to eat his cake!!
When we finally took Noah's cake away he got to open his presents.  He loved his new car set.
Everyone else did too as you can see this is how we spent the rest of the evening:
The next day we had an optometrist appointment for Josh.  He was not happy about needing glasses. He kept saying about how much of a nerd he was going to be.  Here are the frames he picked out:

And, no, I don't think he looks like a nerd AT ALL!!  We think he looks handsome and distinguished.  Aaron and I kept telling him this, but when it comes from your parents it doesn't mean much in Josh's opinion--the little twerp!!   It will take the office about a week to get the glasses made so he has to go this whole week with not being able to see, but it is not much different than what he has been doing for who knows how long!!

No comments: