"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Owie Tantrums, Craziness, Parades, Manti Pageant Fiasco, 4th of July



On Monday, a friend invited us over for water day after they got home from Kids in the Park.  We went over and spent a few hours and then it was time for us to come home.  Of course all the kids ran to the car and left me to clean up everything.  After picking up everyone's towels, various clothing items and toys my hands were full.  I was trying to herd Noah out through the gate and he wasn't done playing yet so he was trying to get around me to go back in the backyard.  I couldn't pick him up because my hands were full of stuff so I nudged him with my leg.  He did NOT like that at all and started into tantrum mode.  He threw himself down to the ground.  Unfortunately he hit the sidewalk full force and did some nice road rash to his chin, cheek, nose and head.  This picture was taken a few days after the initial incident, but you can see it looked owie.  Maybe he will learn that tantrums are not good to do (I can only hope). 
Friday Aaron and I wanted to attempt going down to the Manti Pageant after he got off work. So that left me all morning long to entertain the kids.  Luckily, I was down one kid since Josh went to Cub Scout day camp that morning.  After Josh left I think Daniel really missed his talking buddy because he followed me all around the house with his incessant chatter.  He has all kinds of things to tell me that I don't hear when Josh is around.  As the morning went on I was starting to miss Josh, too, because I wasn't able to get anything done with Mr. Chatter Box following me all around the house!  Later that morning I attempted to take the other four kids to the Dinosaur Park.  However, Matthew was having a rather difficult day so didn't stay for very long before we had to come home.  In the few minutes we were there the kids had tired themselves out pretty good.  When we got home all the kids crashed except for Matthew who was still wired for some reason.  It was probably a good thing since we were going to have a late night.  Sarah crashed on the floor with her blankie.
We left for the pageant as soon as Josh got home from day camp.  He had lots of fun at day camp.  He was extra excited about his purchase at the trading post which was a pocket knife.  Eeee gads that makes me just a little bit nervous.  We made him put it away before we left down to the pageant because we didn't want the back seats of the suburban carved up by the time we reached our destination.  What is the fascination with pocket knives anyway?!  On the way down to the Pageant, we hit dinner time sometime around Nephi.  Since Matthew lives and breaths for meal times, we HAD to stop or endure the incessant demands for dinner and I mean incessant!!!  We were hoping we could find a McDonalds or Burger King since Daniel can eat their hamburgers, however, we were not so lucky.  We did find an Arby's but Aaron went in to grab a menu ingredient guide and we found that everything had milk in it.  Our next choice was a Wendy's where we lucked out to find that their hamburgers were Daniel friendly.  Phew!!  We parked and went inside and much to our dismay the line was HUGE!!  Now waiting in line with 5 very hungry and active children is not fun at all.  I finally gave up and led the crew over to some tables to wait for Aaron to order the food.  Matthew waited with him to make sure Aaron got the order right.  We let everyone pick two menu items off the dollar menu.  Matthew wanted a baked potato and a hamburger.  When it was finally their turn to order, the clerk told Aaron that they had run out of baked potatoes.  When Matthew heard that he came undone with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I had to come over and lead him back to the tables because he was so distraught.  Finally after a few minutes Aaron came over with everyone's orders.  I was dividing out the food when I split Noah's hamburger in half to find the whole thing still bloody red raw in the inside of the burger.   Ewwwww!!!  I stopped everyone from even taking a bite of their burgers to find that everyone's burger was still raw.  I had to gather all the food back up and have Aaron send it back to be recooked.  In the meantime everyone was fighting and in a bad mood.  We were questioning our sanity for even attempting such a trip at this point.  Finally we got the recooked food and their doneness was still very slightly questionable, but we didn't want to risk the wrath of five kids again so we let them eat it.  Thankfully we did not get sick from eating them...yet anyway.  From there we continued on our way and finally made it.  After parking the car we found a nice spot to watch the pageant.  We got to see the beautiful temple, too.
 Here we are waiting for it to start and this picture says it all.  Matthew is goofing off and trying to chit chat with all the people around us about if they saw a train on their way down to the pageant.  Daniel is needing 'lubs' while sucking his thumb (we are seriously trying to get him to stop this terrible habit, but nothing has worked so far).  Sarah is sitting still for 5 seconds while I took the picture before she is insisting she needs to go pee pees.  Noah's trying to wriggle out of Josh's arms to run away and play the not so fun game of Chase Me While I Run Away From You.  Josh last of all is just hanging out. 
 As the Manti Pageant started everyone watched for a bit.  By the end of it, however, everyone was asleep except for Sarah who kept wandering up and down the aisle to keep herself awake.  So much for having the kids see the Pageant.  Oh well maybe they got something out of it subconsciously while they were sleeping away.  After it was over we headed home and finally reached home about 2 am.  Aaron and I put everyone to bed in their regular clothes and then fell into bed ourselves.  However, the next morning was the Syracuse parade.  We try to go to this parade every year because it is a fun one to see it also has lots of candy which is an added bonus.  The downside is this parade started at 9 am and seeing as we got to bed at 2 am that was a little early to drag our sorry selves out of bed.  We did it, though even though not everyone was excited about waking up early.  On our way down to the parade we saw there weren't many people out.  Aaron looked up to make sure about the start time only to see it started at 10 am instead--DOH!!  That extra hour of sleep would have been lovely, but oh well.  We saved shady spot and drove around for a bit before the parade started.  When it was nearing time to start we parked and started walking to our spot.  We happened to walk by an InstaCare who was giving out free snow cones--SA-WEET!!!  Everyone got one except for I had to share mine with Noah who ended up eating the majority of it DOH!!  Here we are enjoying our freebie snow cones waiting for the parade:
 As you can tell Sarah thoroughly enjoyed hers.  She had blue raspberry which left her with blue teeth, lips and tongue.
 When the parade started all the kids got into their parade candy gathering stance with their bags ready:
All of the kids except for Noah who had not yet learned the art of candy gathering at a parade.  Instead of gathering candy he was gathering rocks and putting them into his sack.  Oh you have much to learn, my little padowan.  Luckily he figured it out by the end of the parade that he could get candy if he just turned around the other way.
 After the parade we tried to do some other activities, but Matthew was not cooperating.  We had to drop him and Aaron off at home because Matthew was having a very difficult day of not obeying.  After dropping those two off I took the rest of the kids bowling.  It was fun, but it took FOREVER for everyone just to get through one game.  After that I threw in the towel and we came home had a quick dinner and the kids went to bed. 

 The next morning Daniel came up wearing his awesome pajama ensemble:
 He then raised his arms and said, "Mom, MOM!!! Look at my hairy armpits!!"  Leave it to a boy to come up with something like that.  Daniel is full of funny sayings.  The other day I told the kids we needed to clean up the house.  After a few minutes of cleaning Daniel came over and told me, "Mom, I can clean up faster if I have a piece of candy.  Candy gives you energy so if I get a piece of candy I can clean up really fast!"  Haha nice try, buddy!

The other day things got a little too quiet if you know what I mean.  I went on the hunt to see what my children had gotten into and found Noah giving himself a nice, cold bath.  He had climbed all the way inside my tub, plugged up the plug and had turned on the faucet.  He was sopping wet, but having a fun time.  What a turd!!
 Sunday we actually had a pretty calm day which is rare for us.  However, Noah has figured out that the sacrament means he gets bread and water and he is a little impatient guy.  We were sitting in the middle of the chapel--alas our family does not fit on a small bench anymore :(--anyway since we were in the middle it takes them a little longer to get to us.  Once Noah saw them start passing out the bread he wanted it right then.  He started calling out rather loudly, "Bread where you? BREAD WHERE YOU?"  Until it finally got to us and then he grabbed a handful before I could stop him.  He did the same thing with the water.  He called out, "INK, INK WHERE YOU?"  He calls drinks inks.  Luckily after he got the ink he was done calling out, but he did turn to me and inform me, "More good!"  Just letting me know that what he ate and drank was pretty good.

For the 4th of July we had G&G T spend the day with us.  They came up the night before and had a sleep over so they could come with us to the parade in the morning.  The parade started at 8:30 am and we were ready in our seats.  Noah had remembered his candy gathering skills from the previous Saturday so once we passed out the bags he was ready to get his share.
 After the parade Grandpa T and Aaron put together our trampoline.  The kids were so excited.  After the trampoline was put together we had a BBQ.  I found this neat drink trick online and decided to try it.  You can make red white and blue drinks by getting separate drinks and having big cups of ice.  The kids thought it was pretty neat.
After eating dinner of hot dogs and hamburgers we had our 4th of July cake that Josh and I had made the previous day.  I forgot to take a picture of it yesterday so when I took a picture of it this morning it had been discombobulated by Josh.  He got up extra early so he could eat the cake for breakfast while I was still in bed--the turd.  Anyway it was our red white and blue cake and Daniel friendly to boot.
 
After lunch we headed over to the Hot Rockin' 4th celebration in Ogden.  It was a demolition derby with fireworks after the show.  When we got there we went and saved our seats.  However, the bleachers have open bottoms and Sarah decided to kick her flip flop through the slats.  DOH!!  Luckily Josh and Daniel were small enough to squeeze through the fence to go and get it.  The only down side is that Josh ripped his 4th of July shirt coming back out of the gate.
 Sarah was glad to have her blue and white star flip flop back.  Here she is sporting her festive 4th of July look. 
 Now I know the front of her hair looks like Cindy Lou Who, but it let me put a star in the back of her hair to help her be more festive.
 While we were waiting for the demolition derby to start they had all kinds of freebie activities for the kids to do in the park.  All the kids got a chance to go down the slide:
 See the clown on stilts:
 And play on all the other air filled toys. 

Since we had had such a big lunch we gave the kids snow cones for dinner.  I ended up having to share mine with Noah again while everyone else had their own.  When Noah's and mine had run out Noah went down the bench mooching tastes off anyone else that would give him some.  Here he is trying to hit Sarah up:
 The Demolition Derby although extremely loud was fun to watch.  Noah loved it and sat through every round just fascinated by it all.

 However, in between rounds was another matter.  He kept crawling and pulling on the poor guy who was sitting in front of us.  Thankfully, that guy was pretty laid back with it.  The guy even offered Noah some fruit snacks at one point.  Then when the crawling started again he offered Noah a small pack of Nibs.  I do believe he had figured out what makes Noah stop moving--food.  If you feed him he will hold still.  Unfortunately we didn't have any extra food to feed him so once the treats ran out Noah was back to moving and shaking and touching and kicking everyone around us no matter what we did to try and restrain him.  Finally it was time for fireworks, however, about this time G&G T had had enough fun for one day and decided to go home since they had to both go to work the next morning.  We stayed because we were glutting for punishment I guess.  However, the kids all loved the fireworks show at least I thought so until I looked over at Sarah and she had the most frightened look on her face.  I asked her what was wrong and she burst into tears and grabbed on to me.  She was really scared.  That is really weird because Sarah isn't usually scared of anything.  I passed her off to Aaron because Noah wasn't about to share my lap with anyone else.  Towards the end of the show someone messed up and turned one of the huge stadium lights on.  After the light went on Sarah wasn't scared anymore and decided to stop hiding her face in Aaron's chest and watch the show.  What a crazy kid. She wasn't afraid of fireworks, but afraid of all the lights being turned off in the stadium.  When the show was over we were inching our way out of the stands when Sarah lost another flip flop down the stadium slats.  DOH!!!  She went into major tantrum mode because she didn't have her shoe and we weren't about to stop to get it because there were mobs of people everywhere not to mention we weren't in the best part of Ogden either.  Aaron had to carry her all the way to the car and by the time we got there his arms were about to fall off because we were parked so far away.  When we finally got home the kids all went straight to bed and fell asleep.  I made them wait to come out until 8 am the next morning instead of their usual 7 am since we didn't get home until 11:30 pm.

At 8 am this morning I was awakened to Matthew running into my bedroom yelling at me because one of our neighbor's cows had gotten out and was in our yard.  I jumped out of bed and chased it off, but not before it left a HUGE chocolate button behind to let me remember him by.  YUCK!! 
 
 After the cow was taken care of Sarah noticed the trampoline on her way to eat breakfast.  She bypassed breakfast and went outside pajamas and all to jump on the trampoline for two hours.  Noah followed her out in his diaper as well as Josh and Daniel.  It was nice and quiet for a few minutes before the fighting and tattling began.  Oh well a few minutes is better than no minutes right?!



No comments: