"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chicken, Chicken and More Chicken

Our local grocery store had boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.19/lb this week. Knowing that I can't pass up a good deal I bought a 40 pound box. I didn't realize how much chicken that is until I started canning it. It took me pretty much all day to clean it, cut it up and bottle it. My poor kids were neglected yesterday!! Good thing they like to watch movies and play on the computer!! I ended up getting 36 pints of chicken and they all sealed. We only had one casualty bottle that broke. They are currently sitting on the counter so I can look at them and pat myself on the back for bottling something this year. Hopefully next year I can bottle some more things like juice, tomatoes, pears, peaches, etc. Yesterday Aaron also volunteered me to make dinner for a work friend's family. His friend's wife got her tonsils out and didn't feel so great. So while I was doing chicken I had to make something in the crock pot. I didn't mind, but after doing so much cooking I had dirtied almost every dish in my kitchen. I loaded up the dishwasher and turned it on to find, much to my chagrin, it had died. I spent the rest of the night washing dishes in the sink and cleaning up the kitchen. I really have dishpan hands today!! I am not all that upset because it wasn't a very good dishwasher, anyway. It will be nice to get one that works better. Needless to say we will be shopping for a dishwasher today. Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me! It's just what I wanted for Christmas :).

Yesterday Matthew started some special needs swimming lessons. It is a one-on-one lesson for 20 minutes. His teacher also has a 7 year old autistic daughter so he kind of knew what makes Matthew tick. Matthew loved having all the attention and also going to swimming lessons. Hopefully he can progress in his swimming ability.

I can also pat myself on the back again because I remembered picture day this year since I had forgotten the two previous years. I even got up and ironed their shirts. That happens so rare that the kids were wondering what I was doing. I am glad Matthew's bus was late this morning because it took me extra long to get them ready this morning because I did iron :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...You have been busy. That is too bad that your dishwasher died. Our's died last year and I was secretly glad because the other one was so loud. I love our new one. Check at Home Depot, sometimes they have some good rebates going on for their dishwashers.

Waiting for the One=-) said...

OH! Could you pleeeease show me how to can. I want to so bad but I don't have a clue where to start.
I pat you on your back too. You're amazing.