"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's Official

Josh and Daniel got there yellow belts in karate. They had the belt ceremony at the beginning of the week, but I am just slow in posting the pics.
In other happenings we have the cold bug or something going through our house. Sarah got it first and it has spread from Daniel and now Josh has it. I have a very mild form which is more of a nuisance than anything. Daniel had some gastrointestinal symptoms accompany his, but Josh just has a runny nose and mild cough. The concerning thing is Josh has a super high fever 104.5. I can get it down to 100 degrees with Tylenol and Motrin, but that's as low as it goes. It is doubly hard because a side effect of his seizure medications are he doesn't sweat. That means that when his fever breaks he has a hard time cooling himself off. I have resorted to dousing his clothes with water, but it is a little uncomfortable for him. I hate to take him to the doctor because we can't get in to his regular doctor for a few days and I don't want to go to someone else because we have had too many run ins with stupid practitioners that don't know his history. I also hate to wait for the appointment just to be told it's a virus which most likely what it is. The scary thing is that a high fever is what gave Josh his first Grand Mal seizure at 18 months old. At first we thought was just a febrile seizure, but the seizures never stopped until he was started on seizure medication after a suspect EEG and diagnosed with epilepsy. I get nervous because every time Josh gets a fever, which thankfully isn't very often, he gets really twitchy and jerky to the lightest touch. We haven't had a seizure with this "cold" or whatever it is, yet and I am hoping we don't have a problem, but you never know. Hopefully, it will pass soon. In the meanwhile everyone is sleeping upstairs so I can keep an eye on them just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone gets feeling better. That is scary with Josh. I hope it passes soon without any trouble.