"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

President's Day

President's Day was Aaron's last federal holiday from work until Memorial Day so we thought we would make the most of it. We took the kids bowling because they really love to do that. I have to say I was in last place the whole game until the last two frames when I got super lucky and bowled amazingly. I ended up winning the game by the skin of my teeth, but hey I WON and that doesn't happen very often. Afterwards we took the kids and grabbed some lunch. My one requirement for the day was to visit JoAnne's the fabric/craft store because they were having a pretty good sale and I needed a few things. Remind me NEVER to take a bunch of boys into the place EVER!! All I heard the whole time was, "This store is so BORING!!", "When can we go home?", "I hate this store!!" and my favorite most embarrassing one "WHO FARTED?" They liked to use that one because it elicited the biggest reaction from us--AWESOME--gotta love those boys! I knew what I wanted so I tried to hurry until I got to the cutting table to find a huge line. I grabbed a number and turned around only to find Matthew had grabbed a few more because he thought the ticket pull tab was fun to play with--grrrr. I was customer #25, #26, and #27 thanks to Matthew and they were only helping customer #1 so we had a LONG wait ahead of us. Matthew didn't last so Aaron had to take him out to the car, but that still left me with three other rambunctious children waiting in a very slow line. Finally it was our turn and I got what I needed then went to purchase the items to find the check out line was horrifically long as well. Unfortunately, we also got behind a very nice gentleman who wore oxygen. That prompted a lot of questions from Daniel. Daniel saw the oxygen tubing and heard the oxygen pump and asked in his loudest voice possible, "Why are you wearing that?" The guy was nice enough and explained he needed it to help him breath. I then told Daniel he wore oxygen for a few months when he was a baby too, but I don't think he heard me because he was too busy STARING at this poor guy. We made it home and I decided it would be easier to start my sewing projects with Aaron at home to corral the kids and keep them busy and away from me while I sewed so I got started. We are reusing Daniel's old infant car seat and it is not the cutest thing so I made a car seat cover to try and hide its not-so-cuteness. I also wanted to make a nursing cover. I bought a neat nursing cover when I had Sarah--one that not only covered my front, but covered my back as well when I nursed her. Unfortunately it was pink and since Aaron is paranoid about any of his boys being associated in any way with the color pink he made me find a new one. However, the company that made Sarah's nursing cover is now out of business which meant I would have to make my own if I wanted another one like the original one. I was nervous because I didn't have a pattern and would have to just eyeball it, but as long as you don't look too closely I think it turned out all right. Really don't look too closely because I really can't sew a straight line to save me, but at least it got done. Here's the pictures of my projects: I used Daniel as my nursing cover model because he is always up for any photo opportunity, but you can get the basic nursing cover idea. The pink one was the original and the brown one is the one I made. Afterward, since I had my sewing machine out I finally got around to sewing on Matthew's Bobcat patch to his cub scout uniform--hey it only took me about 4 months to do that, but now he's official right?!?

1 comment:

Jeff n Jill said...

I am totally impressed with your sewing skills! Those are awesome projects!