"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Weekend of Failed Attempts

This weekend we wanted to go and do something fun and different as a family. I did some research and found that Saturday afternoons at the Salt Lake City Library they brought in therapy dogs that kids can read to improving their reading skills. Well I thought this would be something different and maybe help Matthew, Daniel and Sarah get over their irrational and total fear of dogs as well as help with reading. We showed up to find that the library is a favorite hang out place for the indigent (or homeless) people of Salt Lake and it was especially busy since it was raining outside. Once we found our way to the children's area riding in an elevator that smelled strangely of vomit (YUCK!!) and we waited for the dogs to show up. We waited and waited, and waited some more. They finally they told us the dog people hadn't shown up for a couple of weeks and it didn't look like they were going to come that day either (Fail #1). So we walked back outside by all the indigent people again to get to our car. That was fun. We then decided we would go look at the aquarium at Cabelas sporting goods store. I knew they were going to feed the fish that day and it would be fun to see. We missed the feeding of the fish by one hour (Fail #2). Oh well we still looked around at the fish and the rest of the store. Afterwards we stopped by and visited G&G Terry since they live right by Cabelas. The kids really liked that. Today for Valentine's Day I wanted to make some brownies the kids could decorate for valentines day. One year for Valentine's Day when we were growing up my mom made huge sugar cookies and decorated them for us. I was trying to recreate that, but only with brownies. Unfortunately, the egg replacer I used to make them Daniel friendly also made them hard as a rock. It was so hard you couldn't even cut it let alone bite it without breaking your teeth. The only way to break it into smaller pieces was to hit it on the counter as you can see I did that by looking at the picture(Fail #3). All I can say is that I tried this weekend--even if nothing really worked out according to plan. Hopefully tomorrow will be better since it is a holiday for the kids and Aaron, and it is another wide open day to fill with new adventures. Keep your fingers crossed they won't be anymore failed adventures...

2 comments:

The Crandall Clan said...

Hey at least you tried. Right? Thats all that counts. :)

Jeff n Jill said...

Sounds better than getting a letter from the IRS saying you owe them lots of $$$! (That is my major FAIL for the weekend!)