"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, April 2, 2010

Hospital Update and HELLP Syndrome Explanation

I got the second steroid shot last night to help mature the baby's lungs. They drew liver enzyme levels, red blood cell, and platelet levels last night as well (I am starting to feel like a pin cushion!). They also keep a close eye on blood pressure because all these things co inside with HELLP syndrome. If the blood pressure gets too high it can cause seizures and a stroke. Thankfully mine has stayed pretty low considering. They are keeping a close eye on my red blood cell count, platelets and liver enzymes because with HELLP syndrome the red blood cells start bursting, the platelet counts fall (platelets help in clotting), and the liver enzymes show how my liver is functioning and right now it's not so good. Basically the further the HELLP syndrome continues the more likely my blood will not clot which is not a good thing when you are going to have a baby. Luckily even though my red blood cell count is low, it's not too bad yet. My platelet count is still normal which is really good news and it means I still have the ability to clot. With HELLP syndrome it also effects your organ systems especially the kidneys and liver. They are testing my urine to see how my kidneys are functioning. The results show my kidneys are in distress, but they are still functioning ok for now. Anyway, I am still swollen and puffy so finding a vein isn't the easiest thing to do either and it really doesn't help that I am so NEEDLE PHOBIC it's not funny. Don't get me wrong I don't mind sticking people, but getting stuck myself I absolutely HATE!! Anyway the liver enzyme level labs came back last night and they had doubled in number the bad way. The doctor called and said they would probably induce me Friday afternoon after looking at everything. If left untreated HELLP syndrome will eventually shut down my organ systems which is scary. However, they would do labs the next morning to see if they were still increasing. This morning they came in took my blood and we just waited and waited. They also told me that occasionally the shot of steroid given to mature the baby's lungs can also slow the progression of HELLP in some people for a bit. Finally the nurse came back and my liver enzymes had gone up, but not by much. The doctor came in to see me and said the results had not increased enough to warrant an immediate induction. YAY I guess the steroid slowed things down for a bit! However, they were still going to keep a very close eye on me. Since the baby is so early the doctor wanted him to get the maximum amount of exposure to the steroid shots to mature his lungs which is usually 48 hours. That means we are tentatively scheduled for induction Sunday afternoon. The amazing thing about HELLP syndrome is after the baby is delivered everything returns back to normal--liver enzymes, platelet levels, red blood cells etc. That is crazy to me. No one knows what causes it, but the only remedy is delivering the baby. That is why I am sitting in the hospital on bed rest, being a pin cushion, and bored out of my mind just hoping to make it until Sunday afternoon for the baby's sake.

1 comment:

KiLee said...

Hang in there! I can't believe how much you have been going through. Good luck!
Is it bad to wish you a long labor so that you might not have your baby until the 5th? :)
Seriously, I know I'm obessed with the date of your baby's birth - but really I just hope everything goes well. Take care of yourself & we'll be praying for both you and the baby! Let me know what you name him!!!!!!