"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Day

While we were drinking our hot chocolate Christmas Eve Matthew was trying to bargain with us about what time everyone can wake up. He wanted to get up at 5 am. All the adults gave him a resounding "NO!!" I then said 8 am and Matthew came back to say 5:55am. We said no and finally decided on 6:55am because 7 am was too late. I guess 5 minutes makes all the difference. The next morning before the kids could come downstairs we had to wait for everyone to go potty, Noah to get fed, etc. Here are the kids waiting (not so patiently I may add) at the top of the stairs. Mark, set... GO!!
Get out of the way, Mom!!
Noah was the youngest so he got to go first with some help. He was more happy sucking on the paper than the actual toy.Unwrapping while standing up on the couch seems to work better for Daniel. Daniel had fun and loved every present he got. He was excited to get his Santa gift a remote controlled car. He also liked his remote control helicopter.Josh was a little punk this year. We thought we had picked out the best presents for him, but he didn't agree. He just looked sullen faced and we asked him what was wrong. He just said, "Well, I am trying to be happy." He finally got super excited when he saw his set of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. After he opened those he exclaimed, "This is the best Christmas EVER!!" He was also excited to see Santa had brought him his beloved Blizzard Maker. Sarah was the little opportunist. Sarah went and stole everyone's candy canes and ate them while they were busy opening up presents. That way they weren't paying attention to her to stop her. She got so loaded up on candy she was not interested in eating breakfast at all.
Matthew was so excited to get his High School Musical CD from Santa he left the rest of his unopened presents to go down and listen to it. We had to call him up from his CD player in the basement every time it was his turn to open something. Noah was about finished with everything after his first two presents and just needed loves. Daniel got Grandpa T to read him his new comic books. We found a model Union Pacific train that we thought Matthew would love since he is really into Union Pacific Trains at the moment. However, we didn't have the right battery size to fit it as luck would have it. We had every other battery size, but that one. Later that morning we went over to Walgreens (the only place that was open) and bought some batteries to fit it. The bad thing was it didn't work even after the batteries were put in it--poor Matthew!! That will be a return for sure!!
The family room got super trashed in record time!! It's two days later and we are still trying to get everything cleaned up!!Sarah had to take a small detour during the present opening. She dirtied her diaper and then stuck her hands in it. Luckily we got to her before she could finger paint with it. She had to get a scrub down in the shower, but she came out super clean and better smelling for sure. Afterward she loved playing with her pink shopping cart. She even got Noah in on the action by using his exersaucer as her check out register. She piled all her food up on him getting it ready to purchase.Noah was just happy to be here.
To get away from the post Christmas mess and to prevent making another one by cooking lunch we headed over to Burger King (besides it was the only place that was open on Christmas Day). We have hit this same Burger King every Christmas day for the last 4 years because we are classy like that. Like Aaron's dad says, "If it weren't for low class we would have no class at all!" I just look at it like a small Christmas present to myself--no cooking or cleaning up for me. Plus we already had our big Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. When we got there I took the kids back to the play area. Daniel was in heaven when he heard the song Dynomite being played on the speakers. He started dancing to the music:
After a while Daniel came over and said his arm hurt. I took a peek and found that he had all the silly bandz he had gotten in his stocking wrapped around his wrist. It appeared they were cutting off the circulation to his hand. We took them off and it left his wrist looking ouchy.Burger King had another plus. Although I HATE playlands, by taking the kids there Aaron and I get a few moments of peace where we can talk to each other without too many interruptions. When we get home, though, all the kids get thrown in the shower to clean off the play area nastiness. The kids really look out for each other, too. Sarah is just a tad too short to climb up to the top. Matthew got in and lifted her up to each step so she could get up to play with everyone, too. Sweet boy!When we got home Josh was excited to try out his new night light clip that attaches to his bed. Getting him to go to bed was a piece of cake that night. I got a few fun things, too. I got another Willow Tree figurine from Aaron. I love those! I also got a few books to help me learn how to use our new camera. I also got a much needed new cookware set. I did have a few faux paus this year, though. I thought I had gotten the most perfect gift for Aaron. He wanted a Peyton Manning football jersey. Well I was looking around at them and they were expensive!! I finally found one online that was a lot cheaper so I ordered it. I also ordered him the Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD thinking he would love that as well. When the jersey came in I didn't get a chance to look at it because I was too busy. I put it away until it got wrapped a few days before Christmas. It wasn't until Aaron opened it I noticed how small it was even though I ordered an XL. I looked at the tag to see much to my dismay it was XL child size. No wonder it was a lot cheaper--DANG IT!! Right after opening the jersey he opened the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He graciously acted excited, but later on told me he already had those movies. NICE!! However, all in all it was a pretty good Christmas even if we have a few returns we need to make...

1 comment:

Jeff n Jill said...

Merry Christmas! Love Y'all!