"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, July 11, 2011

Keeping Things Exciting

Sarah decided it was time to get dressed this morning and couldn't wait for me to help her. She picked out her own ensemble can you tell? I think the Daniel shirt (put on backwards) along with Noah's flip flops and the nice bed head really looks well together. What do you think?As for other happenings...about a month ago we all went to a children's health fair. Josh and Matthew were lucky enough to win some free swimming passes. Ever since then Josh has been asking every day if we could go swimming. We finally decided to go last Friday. Aaron had to work so we couldn't go until he got off work around 3 pm. I made sure the kids were dressed and all the swimming gear was together so we could leave as soon as Aaron got home. Now as a side note Sarah has been really into locking doors lately. She loves to watch her brothers go outside and then run over and lock the door behind them. Her brothers HATE that, but that just seems to make Sarah want to do it that much more. Well back to swimming...as soon as Aaron got home from work we were getting the kids into the car in the garage when Aaron needed some things from inside the house. He went to go and open the house door inside the garage to find it locked. Now all the kids had actually obeyed me and were all inside the suburban so that left no one inside the house to unlock the door I presume Sarah had locked. Doh!! Now I usually have house keys on my key chain, but we had gotten the locks fixed in the suburban a week ago and I had taken off all the keys off my key ring except for the suburban key. I am paranoid about giving my house keys to strangers so I had taken the house keys off my chain. Unfortunately I hadn't put the house keys back on my key chain, yet. Aaron had used his spare set of house keys to put in the realtor's lock box on the front door knob--so that left us with no spare house keys to unlock the door with. Awesome--we had no way of getting into our house short of calling a locksmith. Aaron and I did walk around the house hoping to find an unlocked window or anything so we could get back inside. We didn't find anything much to our chagrin. Insert a couple big deep breaths and a few, "I love my children, I love my children, I love my children..." thoughts. At this time I remembered my friend's husband was pretty adept at breaking and entering--a skill he had somehow acquired while on his mission in Boston. He had learned it from being in a not so great area and learning this skill from his fellow apartment dwellers. Anyway, we decided to ask him if he could give it a try. Unfortunately, both Aaron and my cell phones were locked inside our house so we actually had to drive over to my friend's house to ask her. Her husband happened to still be at work and wouldn't be getting home for at least three more hours. At that point we decided to go ahead and go swimming to kill the time until we could hopefully get into our house without calling a locksmith. We had lots of fun swimming. Josh even was able to jump off the diving board and swim to the side numerous times. He thought he was pretty awesome. Everyone had a great time. As we were on our way home we swung by my friend's house and her husband was home. He followed us over to our house and had our locked door opened in milliseconds. It was amazing and also a little scary how fast he got the door opened!! Good thing he is a good upstanding citizen and not into breaking and entering for a career!! I glad to say that I now have my house keys on my key ring and am planning on making house key copies to hide around in case we ever have this happen again. I should say when it happens again because Sarah is pretty persistent and still loves locking the doors!! Good thing I love my kids!

1 comment:

Jeff n Jill said...

Can't wait to go swimming with y'all!