"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Serious and Reflective Post

Today I went to my sister's Father-in-law's funeral. It got me thinking about how much I take for granted. I just expect there to be a tomorrow with all my loved ones around me. That has been the case ever since I can remember because I still have both my parents and both sets of my grandparents at this point. However, I know that will eventually change. Leon passed away with cancer at a very young 64 years of age. From the funeral I learned how much he did with his life and how much he accomplished. Since the funeral I have been a little reflective today and started counting my blessings. Yes I must admit that occasionally I feel there is a target on my back when I look at my trials, but I have a lot to be thankful for as well. It made me look at all the petty things in my life that get me upset like the dishes not being done, the house not being picked up, etc. How important are those things anyway? Sometimes I have to let those things go to a point just to take time to enjoy life. My kids won't be little like this for long so I need to take time to enjoy them now. Who knows when there won't be another tomorrow. I need to be more thankful and appreciative of many things in the here and now. I need to learn how to let the little annoying things in life go because most are not that important. I would like to become more forgiving and lenient on trivial things. I am thankful for my family and extended family for the positive impact they have had in my life. I am also very thankful for the support I have been given through the many difficulty trials our family has faced and are currently facing. Most of all I am ultimately thankful for eternal families. Even though there might not be a tomorrow with everyone here, there will eventually be a tomorrow with everyone together in the next life. So tonight I will start by hugging my family tightly and tell them all I am thankful for them and how much I do love them. As for now my thoughts and prayers are with the Williams family.

1 comment:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Hi, Just wanted to say that it was very good of you to go to the funeral today. It is a kindness that will always be appreciated and remembered.
Unfortunately, I know that from experience. I am 34 without parents as of March 31-my Mom. I have also lost all my grandparents. It is a lonely feeling but it does help me appreciate life. We are all given trials, one of mine is to have lost many family members at such a young age. I was 22 when I lost my Dad.
I thank the Lord for my blessings everyday, try to say sorry quickly so that no hard feelings are left. I never say goodbye to my husband without saying I love you before it. I also try to repent quickly just in case.
I am so happy for you that you have your parents and grandparents. Be so thankful.

Amyjoy (Jill's friend)