"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Daniel's Allergist Visit

We went to the Allergist last week for one of Daniel's semiannual visits. Each visit they evaluate his lung function and asthma. They also alternate each visit with the skin prick test and the blood draws. Unfortunately, this visit was for the blood draws. They had to stick him twice to get all the blood they needed. Daniel had a pretty hard time, but he stayed pretty still even while they were digging around to find the vein both times. Since we are starting in the cold and flu season the doctor started him on a daily inhaler of preventive medication to help Daniel not get the asthma reaction to the cold or if he does lessen the severity of reaction.
I just got the results of the blood test. He is still quite allergic to most everything he was allergic to before, but a few things are starting to go down. Milk is still WAY out of the question as well as eggs and most tree nuts. However, pecans and coconut have disappeared and peanuts are starting to decrease, but they still tell me not to introduce any tree nuts until all of the nut allergies have disappeared. They also reassured me that most kids, not all kids, have overcome their allergies by the time they are 5 or 6 years old. That gave me some hope. I guess we will wait until next visit in 6 months. The saga continues...

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Well, I guess you got a little good news. I just love him...he's so dang cute.

Anonymous said...

What a little trooper. I'm glad you did get some positive news.