"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thankful

Yesterday Matthew was invited to go to a birthday party. I am so grateful for the wonderful people we live around. Knowing that Matthew is not a "typical" child I am always thankful for those willing to include him whether it be in scouts, birthday parties or any other activity. I know this won't always be the case when I see the developmental gap widen between Matthew and his peers as they get older. So for the here and now I am so grateful for these acts of kindness extended toward him. Matthew had a very good time at the party and was happy to be there with his friends.

In other randomness I always like to sign up for the continuing adult education classes offered in our county. I, unfortunately, waited a little too long to get into the class I really wanted to take for this fall so me and my sister settled for a Belly Dancing class. Last night was our first class and it was interesting, but also fun. Believe it or not we are some of the younger people in the class. It really showed me how uncoordinated I am, but I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. The teacher's main goal is for us to have fun and it shows. I am supposed to be practicing some of the 25 moves we learned last night, but I can't seem to remember any of them this morning. We'll see what happens next week.

Yesterday a barrel full of Mommy Guilt finally started spilling over. Matthew has patiently been waiting for me to paint his train on his wall since the other kids got their murals painted already. I have put painting the mural off over the summer because I didn't think leaving 4 little kids unsupervised for that amount of time would be wise. The kids are back in school and Matthew keeps asking me when I will paint his train. The guilt finally got me so yesterday I painted a blue base coat on the all the walls in his room to get it ready for the mural. Now I have to work myself up to painting the actual mural...I guess that will happen when the next barrel of Mommy Guilt washes over me--hopefully, sooner than later for Matthew's sake.

3 comments:

Jeff n Jill said...

You know...if "Mt. L" is cleared out...doesnt even have to be "gone" we can paint your room! :) We could totally decorate, get some plum satin bedspread....curtains, candles, fluffy throw pillows. You know how I like to spend your money decorating your house! Now if I could only figure out what to do with my own house!

KiLee said...

Thanks for your help with getting the blog started. Now I will have to think of things to post... :)

Nurse Heidi said...

Belly Dancing, eh?? Wouldn't I like to be a fly on the wall... ;).

I have a low functioning boy with Fragile X in Ethan's primary class. We've invited him to a few birthday parties. He really doesn't get it much and gets frustrated and freaked out by the noise and change in routine, but his younger brother who is higher functioning just loves to be in on all the fun. I am always pleased when I see kids in the ward go out of their way to be nice to those boys rather than shy away or make fun of their odd behavior. I can only imagine what it's like to be the mom rather than a friend of such special kids.