Yesterday I went in to see Noah and everything was going great. They had removed his feeding tube because he was taking all his feedings by bottle. Then I was able to go in to rounds where the neonatologist, nurse practitioner, developmentalist, dietitician, social worker, charge nurse, bedside nurse all get together to discuss Noah's plan of care. That is when they brought up the topic of going home. That is the first time I had heard about the possibility of going home soon. In order to take him home we have to be trained in infant CPR as well as trained on how to use the apnea monitor and the oxygen. I went ahead and scheduled Aaron and my training for Saturday morning and we got a tentative discharge day of the following Monday if Noah continued to do great. Aaron and I were so excited! That lasted until I came in this morning to find out Noah had had an "episode" with his 5 pm feeding the previous night. During his feeding he dropped his heart rate and oxygen rate dangerously low and couldn't recover. The nurse ended up putting the resuscitation mask on him and using the bag to squeeze 100% oxygen over his mouth to help him recover. That is scary and it also means that a Monday discharge date is out of the question now. However, I had already set up babysitting for Saturday so Aaron and I will still be trained on the equipment, but we won't be needing to use it for a little while. We are definitely learning patience!!
As for my sis-in-law Jill she continues to be on complete bedrest (they aren't even letting her up to use the bathroom). They are trying to keep her pregnant as long as possible so she can't have any pressure on the cervix to keep her from going into labor. She has made it passed the critical 48 hours so now the next "goal" will be making it to 30 weeks which is in 4 more weeks. They are even hoping she can make it passed 30 weeks, but we are taking it day by day. Her body could go into labor at any minute so keep her in your thoughts and prayers please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Can not wait to see everyone!
Thanks to all of your friends and Ward members for the support they have given to your family.
We have a young couple in our Ward that is expecting triples. I hope that our Ward can follow your example of service.
Post a Comment