"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Slacking Off and Playing Catch Up

I have been slacking off in the blogging department lately. So here's a last ditch effort to catch up the last week. Saturday morning we had a birthday breakfast at my brother's house for my Mom who is turning 29 AGAIN. When I grabbed the #2 and the #9 candles for the cake and put them in the cart to buy them Josh asked if Grandma was really turning 92 years old. I had to stifle my giggles and tell him no that Grandma was turning 29. He then asked me how I could be thirty something if Grandma was turning 29. I told him that's just how it works. He still is confused about it. Here's the birthday girl cuddling Noah and visiting with everyone. For the breakfast I was in charge of making the birthday cake. I also made a few Daniel friendly options so Daniel could have some good eatin' for Saturday morning. I made some vegan blueberry muffins. I put them on the stove to cool. When I wasn't looking Sarah grabbed the bar stool and scooted it over and helped herself to one. I guess they were good because she ate the whole thing minus the wrapper and all the crumbs she left all over the floor. She was reaching for another one when I caught her red handed--or with crumbs all over her hands and face.
Saturday after the breakfast we headed out to do some fun stuff. I had checked out the Utah State parks pass from the library earlier in the week so we decided to head down to Salt Lake to the This is the Place Monument to check it out. On our way down we like to point out all the temples to the kids. When we got off the freeway in Salt Lake we were driving down the road when Daniel asked seeming quite annoyed, "Ok, Where's the Stupid temple?" I guess he was asking to just get it out of the way because he knew we were probably going to point it out anyway. After giggling from such a direct question, I nervously waited for the lightning bolts to come and get us from showing such disrespect to the house of the Lord. Lucky for us they didn't come. Phew. It wasn't until we had driven all the way down there and parked at the visitor's center of This is the Place Monument we found out that the parks pass was good at all the Utah state parks EXCEPT This is the Place Monument. What?!? I was not in the mood to pay $27 to check it out so we left and headed back up to our neck of the woods to do some geocaching.

We ended up at a park with a walking path. In the middle of it we took a break to help Josh cool down. Aaron snapped a quick picture.
We went to a park and tried to find one microcache that was pretty difficult. The kids jumped in to look even though it required crawling under a poky pine tree. We never found this elusive cache, but the kids had fun looking. Sarah even crawled all the way under the tree following her brothers so she could be in the middle of the action, too.
Afterward we took a scenic drive up Farmington canyon. Holy cow that road gets really narrow really fast with a sheer drop off to one side. It was really nerve wracking to try and pass another car on the road. Most the time one of us had to back up to find a turn out in order to make room to pass especially with the WIDE suburban!! It was a breathtaking view especially with the trees changing color for fall.
We are definitely a modern day family. Here's what I found the other afternoon. Both Dad and daughter playing on their Ipods. Impressively enough Sarah actually knows how to work it and play a few of the games on it. Unfortunately she also knows how to work the phone part, too. That has resulted in a few unintentional phone calls. She's only 2 years old for crying out loud!!
Sarah loves her brother. When he was born I thought we may have jealousy issues, but we haven't had any problem at all. She loves to hold him and love him. She even takes care of him by getting a wet wipe and washing off his face--he does not like that, though. She likes to give him loves body slam style while he's on the floor. He is such a good baby and does not mind too much most the time.
Sarah is quite an independent little girl. The other morning no one got her a drink so she crawled on the counter and got her own. I guess messing with a sippy cup was to much bother so she went right to the milk container. Thankfully even though the milk container was half full she didn't spill too much of it before I caught her. That's a little gross, but I am trying not to think about it. Thankfully we finished that gallon of milk the next day so the rest of us don't have to share anymore Sarah backwash with the new gallon.
I believe our immediate family has two genetic traits that some of us share. One is thumbsucking--3 1/2 of my kids suck their thumbs--Sarah does it when she sees Daniel suck his thumb. That has to be genetic!! The other is rolling around on the ground during any soccer game. The orange ball in the middle of the picture is Daniel playing around DURING the game. Josh does the exact same thing during his games, too. Matthew did it when he was playing soccer a few years ago, too. At least they can keep themselves entertained--even though it is at their team's expense.
Sarah's brothers really take care of her. They got her breakfast this morning. Much to my chagrin it was cereal WITH milk. While she was preoccupied eating breakfast they also did her hair for her. They thought she looked pretty when they were done.

No comments: