"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another Shot for Noah

We have had a small round of croup at our house. Noah got the worst of it though. Monday night I was awakened at 2:30 am with Noah crying. Noah usually sleeps through the night so I groggily walked into his room. When I got there I found him just fighting to breath. That woke me right up. Then I heard him cough that seal bark that comes with croup. He was just struggling to breath as well as slightly blue tinged around his lips and fingers. I bundled him up and took him out into the cold night air. That loosened him up a little bit, but he was still working pretty hard to breath. I took him into the 24 hour pediatrician's office to get evaluated. When we got there being out in the cool air had loosened him up even more so they decided to just give him a steroid shot in his thigh to reduce the inflammation around his vocal cords. That way it is easier for him to breath. I brought him home and stayed up with him for a couple more hours to make sure he was going to be ok and then we both went to bed for a few hours. Since then Noah has been doing great. He feels a lot better. Sarah and I caught the same bug but it doesn't affect us as bad as it did Noah. We basically have colds.

Noah is starting to sit up. He can sit for a few minutes before he tips over, but he seems pretty pleased with himself. He also cannot leave any socks on. He kicks them off faster than I can find them to put them back on. Must be Aaron's son!
Sarah has quite the fashion sense. She brought me over her boot and screamed until I helped her put it on. Then she grabbed one of the boy's Spongebob slippers for the other foot. Then she went and grabbed a red marker (thankfully it was washable) and colored on her shirt, pants and feet. This picture was taken before she got hold of the marker.Today I went to the store to pick up some cookie making ingredients. I found some Daniel friendly chocolate chips and bought some. When we got home I made the kids help me take in the grocery bags. Sarah got a hold of one package of chocolate chips and threw it into the air. When it hit the floor it split open and spilled about half the chocolate chips all over the floor. I told Daniel and Sarah they had to clean it up thinking they would throw them in the trash. I was wrong. When I looked they were stuffing their faces with chocolate chips as fast as they could. I didn't know chocolate could be smeared so far!

When I finally cleaned up the mess we made some vegan pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I had plenty of help. Sarah was the first to volunteer to lick the beater. Why I let her wear a white shirt on days like this I will never know...doh! Hopefully I can get the stains out. To keep things exciting right after this picture was taken Sarah scooted backwards and fell head first off the bar. She is ok, but I kept a close eye on her because she hit the ground pretty hard. Good thing she is so hard headed :)! Josh has been doing basketball and he is on the same team as one of his friends, Hailey. That has been nice because we can carpool. However, it was Hailey's Dads turn to drive and he got to listen to their conversation in the back seat. This is where he overheard Josh tell Hailey he knows where all the Christmas presents are and he and Daniel have peeked. He knows that someone is getting a spiderman toy among other things. Since we have moved Matthew into our storage room we don't have a good secret place to hide the presents. I thought I could hide them in our closet, but now I know that didn't work out so well. I need to somehow very discreetly find out what Josh and Daniel have seen so I can decide what presents need to be returned and what presents we can keep. Really?! The little stinkers!!
Today Daniel had preschool. He came home and showed me his work. He got to cut pictures out of magazines that remind him of his mom. The pictures he chose were a kid playing with their mom and a family having a picnic outside. He also chose a made up bed. Lately Daniel likes to "surprise" me by making my bed for me. He will tell me, "Mom I am going to have a surprise for you." Then after he has gone upstairs for a few minutes he will then tell me, "Mom, I dropped something in your room and you need to come get it." Then I will go upstairs and be surprised that my bed is made. Daniel just beams when I tell him THANK YOU!! This happens almost every morning and I think it's sweet. That is why he clipped a picture of a made up bed. The next picture is of a mop. I asked why he chose this and he replied, "Oh it's the one you got for free." I never got a mop for free, but I have gotten other things for free with coupons, deals, etc. He really pays attention. My favorite picture is the diapers coupon. Daniel told me, "Mom I cut out a coupon for you." I am a couponer and use coupons for anything and everything I can and he has picked up on that. I am teaching my kids how to be cheap--oh I mean frugal and how to spot coupons and not be afraid to use them--that makes me one proud momma!

2 comments:

Jeff n Jill said...

I took Sydney to the dr on Tuesday for her 6 month (we were about 3 wks late) check up...that is when I found out she has an ear infection in both ears. You would never know it by her disposition. I will take the ear infection (and the antibiotic diarrhea) over the croup!

KiLee said...

That's scary about Noah! I'm glad that he's ok.
Also, I think Daniel is adorable! I wish Kita would make my bed for me! It's cute to see what they are picking up on. Good job!