"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Allergist

Daniel had an appointment with the allergist today. He, unfortunately, has not outgrown any more allergies yet :(. He is developing even more allergies if you can believe it. That's the course for these type of food allergy patients or so the doctor says. He is starting in to the bad seasonal allergies now, but at least his medication is preventing the brunt of his symptoms--watery eyes, asthma, runny nose, etc. At this visit we had the skin prick test. He only gets this once a year and I am glad because it is pretty bad. They place the allergen protein on his back then scratch it into his skin to see what kind of reaction happens. Here are the before and after pictures. He was a very charming patient wrapping the staff around his finger because he left with pocketfuls of suckers and stickers. At our next visit in six months we will have to get his labs drawn to test his reaction that way. Keep you fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, he might be able to expand his food horizons.
BEFORE

10 MINUTES AFTER

In other news I started a Yoga and Pilates class last night with my sister and sister-in-law. I have to say it is harder than it looks or rather I am more out of shape than I thought. It should be interesting to see if I get better as time goes on seeing as I have always lacked balance and coordination anyway. Even if I don't it is still nice to get out of the house without kids with me even though Aaron has to deal with a sad Sarah the whole time I am gone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor guy!! What a trooper.

Anonymous said...

Poor kid! I'm so sorry he has to go through all that!

Johanna said...

That looks terrible. I hope he doesn't have to go through it for too much longer.
And, I'm glad to hear you got a good workout last night. I can't wait... three more days...

The Crandall Clan said...

Ohhh Poor baby! I remember going through this stuff my self. Since I was 6 years old. I so remember the prick test and the meds and the shots. Yuck

Nurse Heidi said...

That back.... :(. So sad. Ethan had to have a few pricks in his forearm for penicillin testing, and that was bad enough.

I had a few posts to catch up on here. I LOVE those baby pictures! Sarah is getting so big and cute.

The Wife!! said...

Oh buddy!! I am so sorry!! I have had that test done only mine was on the back of my arm, and I was 25 not 4... :( My allergies ar worse right now too. I hate pring! My worst allergy is mold so when the snow melts I just die. Headaches every day, my contacts dry out itcy eyes. All things I am sure poor Daniel feels!! So sorry bud!

kim said...

Holy Cow!!! Poor guy! I'm thankful we don't have to deal with that kind of thing. I don't know who is the bigger trooper.... you or him. Way to go good Mama!