"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Adventures in Car Shopping

We have finally come to the sad realization that our almost 7 person family is not going to fit into our minivan when the baby comes--meaning we need to get a bigger car to fit everyone in including all five kids' carseats. I am sad about it because I was really enjoying not having a car payment...but I am trying not to think about that part of it. Since Sarah has been feeling better, we spent today out looking at cars. To see how everyone was going to fit inside the new car we brought along all four kids--yea, not so much fun. I must say they were better behaved then I expected, though. At one place we got this poor salesman who was a very young single guy with no children. Getting in the car, Matthew, within milliseconds discovered how to fold the middle seat in half while collapsing it forward with the touch of a button--unfortunately, Daniel was trying to climb in his car seat on the middle seat at that particular time so he got smashed by the seat with his car seat on top of him. That started Daniel into a fit of hysterical screaming which is normal for him at any given time, but not normal for the average young, single guy to hear. When I heard the screaming I went over and got things straightened out and settled. Then the poor salesman had to sit in the back seat with the kids so Aaron and I could sit in the front to test drive. Daniel was really excited to have a new buddy to talk to and turned into a Chatty Cathy telling him all kinds of things. Where's that mute button in kids when you need one? Daniel struck up the first conversation with, "Hey, my sister Sarah had a huge booger on her cheek, but I got it off for her." The guy just nodded and smiled and mumbled something like, "Um, yeah, ok." Then during the test drive the kids were getting loud and rather rowdy. Aaron asked the salesmen the rhetoric question, "And you wonder why we are having another one." The guy answered a resounding YES! before he thought about it. I just wanted to chime in--yea, us too. Oh the adventures in car shopping and parenting.