"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lil Miss Mind of Her Own!

Oh what am I going to do with my little girl? She has turned out to be the most stubborn, willful child of mine so far. Just a few examples of the last few days:
During Daniel's playgroup she decided to climb on the table and then climb on over about 2 long feet into her high chair--without any help by the way. I am glad she made it without falling on her head!!

At church last week she had had enough and wanted to wander around the aisle about 5 minutes into the meeting. I tried to wrestle with her and then the people in front of us took her for a few minutes until she tried to escape from them too. We got her back and while I was trying to find her a toy in the diaper bag she made her great escape. She crawled under our bench, under the bench of the people sitting behind us and she was free. She started wandering the aisle when I realized what had happened. I went to grab her and she threw herself to the ground and went limp--you know that lovely go limp, go stiff move babies like to do. She was doing all this while screaming. Luckily, we were pretty close to the foyer door so after I finally got a good hold on her we were able to to get out quick.

Earlier this week I took Sarah and Daniel to story time at the library. Sarah listened to the first book and then she wanted to wander. I wrestled with her for a bit, but she got too loud and I had to let her wander. Before I knew it she was almost out the front door with me still back in the story time area. I ran to get her and chased her for a few minutes. When I had had enough I grabbed her and sat down with a book so we could look at the pictures. A few pages into the book she grabbed and page and ripped it almost in half. It was ten times worse because everyone was very quietly listening to the book being read so the ripping noise really got everyone's attention. I could hear the collective gasp from all the other moms whose children were sitting like angels listening quietly to the story. I wished I could have disappeared right then. What I should have done was stood up and announced, "Yes everyone I teach my children to destroy books at home!" ending with a very evil laugh bwahahahahah. Instead I just closed the book and quietly slipped it back on the shelf while pretending nothing happened with a super fake smile plastered across my face.

We were out shopping and I was talking with Aaron in the checkout line. Since Sarah refuses to sit in the front part of the cart she usually stands in the basket while we shop. She tried to climb out of the basket only to be rescued by the observant lady in front of us in line who thankfully caught her mid fall before she would have hit the ground with her head.
Lastly, she will not let me hold anyone. If I try to snuggle with Daniel she runs over climbs up in my lap and forces her way in between Daniel and me. She will stay like this until Daniel hops down or I get up. If Daniel does get down off my lap she will then get down, but the same thing happens all over again if Daniel tries to climb up in my lap again. Hmmm--some jealousy issues perhaps?!

Maybe this is the reason why I will only ever be having one girl. I don't know if I could handle another little girl if all of them are this way!!! However, I seem to overlook all her independence when she gives me snuggles and loves. She also does a lot of sweet things, too. I do love her a lot and am glad I have her--also how could you ever stay mad at this sweet, innocent looking face?

2 comments:

KiLee said...

I had a roommate in college that was independent like that. She even tried to change her bandages from her roller blading accident on her own! Can you imagine? :)
Seriously though, Ryker is turning out to be like that too. He can be just so stubborn!!! It drives me crazy. Good luck!
Also, if you want to go on vacation - I here back East is really pretty! :)

Jeff n Jill said...

Isnt this the part in the commercial for Southwest Airlines where it says "Need to get away" after some horrible embarrasing thing just happened and it flashes a really cheap ticket price? :) You know I hear that tickets to Dallas are pretty cheap right now! :)