"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, March 22, 2010

A Very Long Day that Includes an EEG

I have a very long day in store for me. Josh is continuing to have seizures that have not been controlled with increasing his medication. We have increased his medication twice so far and it does not appear to be working. He ended up having a seizure in the car on Friday and two more on Saturday--one being at Walmart. I called the Neurologist this morning to see what the next step would be. I am also concerned since he hasn't had daytime seizures since he was 18 months old until now. I am wondering if something else is going on and I mentioned this to her. She decided to do another EEG tomorrow to see if his seizure patterns have changed in his brain. That would give her a better understanding on what's going on and how to treat it. In the mean time we have increased his medication yet again and are hoping for the best. The EEG is scheduled for tomorrow morning which means Josh and I get to have an all nighter tonight--I am NOT looking forward to this at all! I guess we will be hanging out at IHOP and Walmart since they are open 24 hours. If you want to join the party we will be there sometime between 1-5 am. If you have any other suggestions for places that are open 24 hours they would be much appreciated since it's easier to stay awake if you are up and moving around. The point of the EEG is to bring the patient to the brink of a seizure and see what the electrical activity in the brain shows. To do this he needs to be sleep deprived which explains the all nighter. They also shine lights at him at different frequencies to see what his brain does. Last time we did this he did end up having a seizure, but after we had gotten home and he was trying to go to sleep. Anyway, I am trying to stay positive, but I am having a hard time. Hopefully we can get this under control sooner than later. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers! So for today we will try to keep ourselves busy since all the kids are out of school and also to keep my mind off things.

2 comments:

KiLee said...

You guys are in our prayers! Good luck with the all nighter - that's got to be especially rough while pregnant! I hope they get everything figured out quickly for you. It sucks when it's your kid. Love you!

Johanna said...

Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you. Meaning that you get this all figured out sooner rather than later. We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.