"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Shoes Can Change a Girl's Life

"Cinderella is living proof that a pair of shoes can change a girl's life." That is Sarah's new motto. She has developed a LOVE for shoes. Yesterday I was at the store and happened across the little girl shoe section. I picked up a pair of shoes and tried them on Sarah, but I put them back because I didn't want to buy them right then. Sarah had different plans and started screaming. She pulled off her regular shoes and refused to let me put them back on her. She tried to crawl out of the cart to grab the shoes I had just put back or any other shoe she could get her little hands on. We ended up getting those shoes just to appease her. She insisted on wearing them throughout the store even though they were still tied together with the elastic band new shoes come with to keep both mates together. She loves having her shoes on so much that in the morning the first thing she does is get her shoes on mismatched or not--even before breakfast. This morning she even screamed for over an hour straight because I made her wear a pair of church shoes she didn't want to. When I wouldn't take them off her feet she threw a very LONG tantrum. I guess she got over it, but Aaron had to load her into the car to go to church still screaming this morning because she did not want to wear those shoes. I also must add she gets them on the wrong feet almost every time. She is a funny girl.
Sarah, even though not talking, is very socially appropriate which is a big relief. Yesterday she got some girly sunglasses, but did want to wear them right away. She only put them on and left them on when she saw Jill and me put ours on. The other day all the cousins got together to celebrate their uncle Jeff's birthday at the park. There is a big hill the cousins started rolling down. Sarah couldn't quite figure out how to roll down so she got on her bum and pushed herself all the way down the hill. She thought she was doing it just like everyone else. Yesterday her and her idol, Daniel, came up missing. She just loves Daniel--anyway, we found them a few minutes later. She had followed Daniel upstairs and crawled into our bed with him. They were just "talking"--more like she was listening to Daniel's chatter since she doesn't say too much right now.
Lately she has been awakened pretty early in the morning by her brothers to play. Since she is getting up really early she has been falling asleep at the counter during lunch. She has done this three times this week. One time she even fell asleep during mid bite of her chicken nugget. Here she is after church just today:Here she is mid bite of her chicken nugget that is still on her fork:Here she had finished her lunch and decided to take a snooze: I am happy to say that our truck is working for now. Aaron with some help from Uncle Bryan and some more "help" from Josh and Daniel changed out the fuel filter and fuel pump. Hopefully, we can keep it working this time. Aaron appreciated the help from everyone. Since Noah is connected to oxygen and the apnea monitor bathing isn't too easy. I get the little pink basin from the hospital and carry it downstairs and bath him right next to his equipment. That way I can slip him off the oxygen and apnea monitor for as little time as possible while I wash his face, hair, and chest. I love it when they are little enough to fit inside the pink tub. I have a picture of all my kids taking a bath in it when they are newborns. I tried to censor the picture--just trust me he's a boy.
In other happenings just to keep things exciting and our savings account low--our garage door spring sprung (aka broke) Thursday night. Luckily it was Aaron's Friday off (he gets every other Friday off) because both cars were stuck inside the garage with the garage door wedged into place. The truck wouldn't start either. I am happy to say it is now fixed with a LIFETIME warranty--lately I am becoming more and more of a fan of warranties with our luck....we even got all the rollers and door lubricated so it is even quiet to boot. Aaron didn't know how boring and rich he was until he got married with children and everything changed...

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Your kids are so cute. I love the pictures of Sarah sleeping. She is looking like a big girl instead of a baby. I think all girls are born with a love for shoes, you just gotta go with it. Especially since she is your only girl.