"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What To Do With These Kids?!!

Well Summer vacation has started and I am already counting down the days until school starts again. I am shamed to say that I don't think I could make it (or my kids either) as a home schooler mom. Anyway, we are stuck at home until Noah is off his oxygen and apnea monitor so it makes for some long days and a touch of cabin fever all around. However, my kids have been making their own fun at everyone's expense. Sarah decided to get her five a day fruits and veggies by eating my Cucumber Melon lotion the other morning. I am sure that tasted terrific. I hope it tasted so bad she won't attempt that again.

Sarah is also great example of monkey see monkey do. She has made many attempts at trying to put different cds or dvds in the Wii, but we have always caught her in time before she actually got them inside. Yesterday she was just a titch faster than Aaron was. The bad thing was it was a toy cd that is only about 2 inches big. The Wii accepted it and pulled it inside, but now it is stuck and we can't get it out. It happened in slow motion. Aaron saw her heading toward the Wii, but didn't make it in time to stop her. Right after she did it she turned around and looked at Aaron with a triumphant grin that said, "Look what I just did. I am such a big girl." Aaron didn't have the heart to get mad at her--she has him wrapped around her little finger. Aaron went to take the Wii apart to see if he could get the toy out, but it requires a special screw driver to open it. Aaron ordered one and requested overnight shipping on it. At this point being stuck home because of Noah this is a NEED and not a WANT so, yes, to save my sanity he overnighted it. Hopefully, we can fix it and get it up and running tomorrow. How could you get mad at this face?
Matthew has found his own fun. Matthew has finally decided at the beginning of this year that riding his bike was fun. I guess just riding your bike got a little boring so he has been playing chicken with cars. It started with me backing out of the drive way. He came up and parked his bike behind me and just sat there smiling and laughing because I couldn't go anywhere while he was there. I got mad, but that didn't stop him. He has been doing it to the neighbors as well. Once I found that out I had a talk with him and told him if he does it anymore he won't be able to ride his bike. I am keeping my fingers crossed he actually LISTENED to me this time.

Matthew and Josh started Kids in the Park Monday. It is a recreational program sponsored by our city to help relieve some summer boredom. Monday and Tuesday they play games and do activities for three hours. Wednesday is water day where they play with water guns, sprinklers and play water games. Thursday is field trip day where they go to places all around for fun field trips. Tomorrow they are going to a theater to see a movie. This is the third year Matthew and Josh have done this so they have gotten to know them. The leader that really got close to Matthew last year had a baby and did not come back for this year. Instead the lady in charge of the program hired her daughter who works with special needs kids to come to help out (mostly with Matthew) which was awesome. So far things are going well and I am hoping they stay that way.

Josh had a Neurology follow up appointment on Monday. He is doing well and staying seizure free as far as I know. The new medication he started made him quite moody and hard to be around. However, we had to lower his dosage because he ended up being on too much for his body weight. Since we have lowered the dosage he has become a lot more pleasant to be around. He is still more moody than when he started it, but it is tolerable now. We have another follow up in four months and I hope things will be going as well then as they are now.
So for now summer is in full swing and I still can't believe it. It seems like this school year went by entirely way too fast! Hopefully Noah will get off all the equipment soon so we can get out and have some fun that I decide to do instead of letting the kids come up with their own fun at our expense ;)!

No comments: