"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Faux Hawks, Science Saturday and Bearing of Testimonies

To try and downplay the beany flavor of the homemade soy milk, I tried adding some strawberry syrup to it. Daniel hated it, but Sarah loved it as you can tell by her strawberry milk mustache.Yesterday was "Science Saturday" over at Weber State University. It is a free activity for families to help the kids learn about science. We took the kids and I think they had fun. However, Aaron and I were frazzled by the end of it trying to keep track of everyone since it was pretty crowded. Sarah and Matthew had their own agendas and kept wandering off in opposite directions. We definitely had our hands full!! I have no idea what we are going to do when Noah gets mobile!! Maybe that's why the early saints instated polygamy just to have a few extra hands to help :).

Anyway, the first station we went to was about the Water Cycle. The teachers were asking questions about the Water Cycle and Matthew actually answered one of the questions correctly without any help. Maybe he occasionally does listen in school!! Yay for Matthew!! At the end of the mini class the kids got to make their own terrarium in a plastic cup with some soil, a seed, some water all covered with plastic wrap. I don't know if Sarah's seed will sprout since it got a bad case of "shaken seed syndrome". I am glad they put a rubber band around the plastic wrap to keep it in place because she really was shaking it for all she was worth. Even with the plastic wrap she still managed to spread the soil pretty far. The kids got to get close up to watch. In the picture Matthew, Josh and Daniel are in the front of the crowd wearing their hats.
In another class they learned about plants. They got to look at some leaves close up with the microscopes. Josh, Matthew and Daniel loved that.
Sarah was just a little too short to see, but she screamed and screamed until someone lifted her up so she could see, too. She had to do whatever her brothers did no matter what. At the end of the class the kids got their own mini plants to take care of. I personally think it will be a miracle if they happen to survive with all the abuse they got during the day.
In another class they learned about molecules. They got to build their own molecules with toothpicks and gumdrops. The boys had fun building theirs while Sarah just shoved the gumdrops in her mouth as fast as she could go. By the end Aaron and I really had our hands full of all their handouts because the kids refused to carry their own stuff. Even though I snapped the picture my hands were pretty loaded down as well. Noah was just happy to be there as always.
After Science Saturday we went home and changed into our Sunday clothes to attend the kids' cousin Annika's baptism. The kids did pretty well for the most part during the program. Josh was especially interested since he will be baptized in a couple months, too. Sarah started out being pretty good, but then she got antsy. She started climbing all over me and then at a very quiet moment she tooted quite loudly. I am just hoping people know it was her and not me. It was a nice baptism despite the extra distractions from Sarah.
Today for Sunday I was excited for everyone to finally be healthy enough to attend church. This is the first time in over a month that we ALL were able to attend together and STAY for the whole thing. In getting ready for church all the boys wanted faux hawks. Aaron asked me to try it out on Noah's hair as well since he finally has enough to do it with. Noah thought he was pretty handsome.Here's everyone sporting their faux hawks and church clothes:
Today was fast and testimony meeting. Matthew LOVES to bear his testimony and he was the second person at the pulpit. Daniel wanted to bear his as well. He got up there and started, but his mind went blank in the middle of it. After a few seconds of silence he recovered and finished. Later on Josh went up and bore his as well. They all did really well. Sarah tried to sneak up there, but she got distracted. She was distracted by a hard, dark brown substance stuck on the bench. Before we figured out what she was doing she had scraped it off with her fingernail and ate it. YUCK!! I don't know what it was, but what you don't know won't hurt you right?! I did, eventually, need to take her and Noah out to the foyer for the latter part of Sacrament meeting. Other than that we had a pretty good day at church.

2 comments:

Jeff n Jill said...

Wow! I can't believe that Noah has that much hair! Sydney seems to be growing hair only on her scar - I keep having to trim it so it matches the rest of her hair. I am kinda freakin' out...only 2 more months and Noah will be 1!!!! How could it already be almost a year since the craziness happened???? (1 month will mark a year for Josh's hospital stay...)

I swear...time use to go a lot slower!

bamatamb said...

Your new family picture (with the faux hawks) is darling! I can't believe you got all 5 kids looking at the camera AND smiling--that's awesome! :)