Way back when I got pregnant with Noah they ran the standard blood tests which showed my Thyroid levels were low. They weren't low enough to treat, but they were definitely on the low end of normal. This qualified me to participate in a study of low thyroid levels of moms and how it effects the baby's development (namely IQ) as they are born and when they grow. They are trying to see if they should treat the lower end of "regular" levels of the thyroid in pregnant women to help the baby's development. Studies have shown that moms with low thyroid levels (lower than normal) during pregnancy, their babies have slightly lower IQ test scores than with women whose thyroid levels are normal. They weren't treating me because my thyroid levels were still within normal limits, but definitely on the low end of normal. When I got started in the study I got pills I was asked to take. It was either a placebo or thyroxine. Since it was a double blind study I didn't know if I got the placebo pills or the thyroxine pills. I took the pills my whole pregnancy and stopped after Noah was born. Since they had to monitor my thyroid levels during the pregnancy I had to get my blood drawn at every prenatal visit. I didn't like that part at all because I am so needlephobic! Anyway, after Noah was born we get to follow up with this study once a year for his first five years around Noah's birthday to test Noah and see how his development is. We had our first follow up study appointment Tuesday morning down at the University of Utah Research Park. When we got there they had to draw my blood. After a few sticks they finally got some blood--have I mentioned how much I HATE needles?! After that they took me back into a room with Noah to test his development. They wouldn't let me bring Sarah and Daniel back in the room with me so the nurse that drew my blood offered to watch them in the waiting room while they tested Noah. I wasn't too thrilled about leaving my kids where I couldn't see them for about 20 minutes--especially Sarah since she has a knack of getting in to all kinds of mischief faster than you can shake a stick at!! However, we went back to the room and they tested Noah. They can't tell me the results of anything until after his last visit when he is 5 years old. When the testing was done I came back into the waiting room to round up my kids and make sure they were ok. As soon as I entered the waiting room I was hit with a invisible wall of stink. I guess while they were testing Noah, Sarah had to take care of business in her diaper. PEEEE EWWWW!! I felt bad for the poor nurse that had to watch them. I am sure that was a really long 20 minutes sitting in a really stinky waiting room!! I was a little embarrassed, but luckily we won't have to see them again for another year--hopefully by then Sarah will be potty trained!
After that we left to come home have a quick lunch and then head over to Daniel's last real day of preschool. It was Bubble Day--the day that everyone looks forward to. I had heard so much about bubble day that I asked if we could come to help out and participate. The teacher said it wouldn't be a problem so we showed up. I thought there would be other parents there as well, but I was the only one. Oh well. I had to bring Noah and Sarah with me, too. I was a little nervous about that because you never know how well behaved they are going to be. However, they were mostly good through the whole event. We started out in the big bubble station. The kids got to stand in a small swimming pool filled with bubble solution. The teacher then grabbed a hula hoop and pulled gigantic bubbles over all the kids' heads. They loved it!
Sarah, of course, had to participate as well.
One of the stations she had some homemade bubble wands you could blow some big bubbles from. Sarah didn't quite get how to do it, but Daniel loved it.
They had another station where you could blow bubbles out of straw in a cup filled with bubble solution. Sarah didn't get that you had to blow the first few times. She got a mouthful of bubbles a few times until she figured out she needed to blow instead of suck through the straw. YUMMY! Noah was just happy watching and smearing bubbles all over the table with his hands.
Another station they had a big tub filled with bubbles and all kinds of wands you could blow bubbles from.
Noah was just happy to pull himself up to the bubble tub to watch.
Another station you could blow bubbles from different colored cups and have the bubbles pop on your paper to make some neat designs. Daniel loved it, but Sarah didn't really find it too interesting.
Another station was a pool full of balls you could play in. It only fit two kids at a time so there was always a line to play in this one.
They finished the day off with drinking bubbles--rootbeer/orange floats. Daniel just had orange soda and his snack from home. Sarah went to town on her float and didn't leave the table until her cup was licked (as far as her tongue would reach) clean. It was lots of fun. It makes me sad preschool is now over for Daniel, though.
Yesterday we got notice that someone wanted to come by and see our house in two hours. It was a disaster area because we were in the middle of laundry and there were clothes spread all over the family room floor. Aaron and I had to do a mad cleaning frenzy. During our mad cleaning frenzy our poor kids were quite neglected. Noah could see us from the bottom of the stairs, but we weren't picking him up. I guess he decided to take matters into his own hands and next thing we knew he was half way up the stairs.
The crazy kid figured out how to go up the stairs!! I think we may be in extra trouble because he can now reach lots of things. Luckily about this time we had finished our mad cleaning frenzy and were able to pick him up. When it was time to leave we went and hung out at McDonald's while the people were looking at our house. Since we had been cleaning we had a later dinner than usual and the kids were starving. When we got to McDonalds and got our food, we had a whole lot of screaming going on. The kids were quite impatient and in the process of trying to grab their food they knocked a full 32 ounce drink over spilling all over the floor. We went and got an employee to come clean it up and while she was cleaning it up we got all the food handed out. As soon as the employee finished cleaning it up, Noah reached out and pulled another full 32 ounce drink over spilling it all over the floor. The employee sighed and got to work cleaning that huge mess up while Aaron and I were profusely apologizing. What a crazy day!! Also FYI a suburban's trunk can hold 5 huge overflowing baskets of laundry. We got to find that out yesterday because we didn't have time to put all the clothes away so we had to stash and dash. It looks like we are living out of our suburban, but really we aren't ;).
Also yesterday Josh had a talent show at school. He had brought the talent show paper home a few weeks ago and showed it to me, but never said anything about it. If you have children in school you know how many bazillions of papers they bring home every day. If Josh didn't say anything about it, I didn't think he was interested in participating. Well I was wrong. He brought home another paper Tuesday afternoon announcing the talent show at school for his whole second grade class and their families. Then Josh casually mentioned he was going to play the piano. At this my ears perked right up. I asked him what he was going to play. He told me he wanted to play the hymn Praise to the Man. He had just gotten this music from his piano teacher a few weeks ago and really hadn't practiced it much. I had him play it for me to see how much he knew of it. Just as I had feared he didn't know it very well yet. I tried to talk him in to playing something else that he knew really well. He wouldn't hear of it and insisted he wanted to play Praise to the Man. I "discussed" this with him all Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning long, but he still insisted he wanted to play Praise to the Man--he was so insistent that he even went and hid his other sheet music so I couldn't find it so I couldn't make him play something else. Wednesday afternoon rolled around and Aaron and I showed up to the talent show with Daniel, Sarah and Noah in tow just waiting to see how this would turn out in front of his whole second grade class and their families. Josh's turn came up and he unabashedly went up to play Praise to the Man. He played it and, no, it was full of pauses and wasn't perfect but he still played it. He was not embarrassed in any way he just wanted to show his talent. As any parent knows it was hard to watch him play and not help him, but I did it for the most part. At one point, though, I did have to go up and sit with him because he seemed to lose his place, but he didn't lose his courage. Wow, how would it be to not fear anyone's opinion of you? Way to go Josh. However, I think that next time I see a paper for a talent show I will be paying a bit more attention so we can both be a little more prepared. Here's the proud Josh walking back to his seat after his performance:

No comments:
Post a Comment