"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, May 16, 2011

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese and Painting Some More

I am almost willing to try anything new especially in Daniel's case. The other day I was in the health foods store when I came across a vegan cheese alternative. This is a cheese alternative that is dairy, egg, and nut free. I was curious about what it would taste like and if Daniel would actually like it. I went and asked the employee about which cheese alternative was the best tasting and she replied she had never tried it before. She came over and started looking at the different vegan "cheeses" with me. She picked up this particular one: and told me to try this one because it says on the package that it melts. It is also never a good sign to be told by a health food store employee that if you try the cheese alternative, you need to cook it while having your window open because it can stink up your kitchen. Nice! That made me cringe even more to try it, but I like to live dangerously. To tell the truth, I thought all of the vegan cheeses not only sounded disgusting, but looked disgusting as well. If I was going to buy one, hey, why not get one that melts--as long as I cooked it with the window open--right?!

We tried it out tonight. Well let me rephrase that--Daniel tried it out tonight while the rest of us had macaroni and cheese with real cheese that actually does melt and taste good. I have tried so many different things for Daniel to try and get some variety in his diet since he is so limited in what he can eat due to his allergies. However, about 99% of the time he HATES anything new that we try, but I keep trying to give him something different. He is the pickiest eater out of all my kids and that is just wrong!! He is the one that has the most limited diet anyway and for him to be picky it is not a good thing!! Anyway, I made him up some vegan macaroni and cheese with cheese alternative--which by the way did NOT melt you had to mash it up to spread it around. In mashing up the cheese alternative to help it melt it also smashed up all the noodles so it was just a pile of mush Y-U-M-M-Y!: I tried to talk it up to Daniel to make him excited to try it even though I thought it looked absolutely disgusting. I did sample a small bite and much to my surprise it wasn't too bad. It doesn't make me want to give up the real cheese, but for someone who has never tasted real cheese, they don't have anything to compare it to so it actually tastes good. Daniel took a bite and much to my surprise he said he liked it. I had to have him repeat that a few times to make sure I understood him correctly. Yup, he said he liked it. Interesting....maybe he can mix his diet up between poptarts and chicken nuggets we can throw in some cheese alternative mac and cheese--mmmm makes my mouth water (not really).

I am excited to say we got our basement ceiling put back together finally!! It is so nice to see it go from this:
to this:I painted the whole ceiling today and what a mess!! I am so sick of painting and this job was especially bad because it splatters the paint everywhere when you paint the ceiling!! I got it all over my face, arms, hands and hair. It looked like a had a killer case of dandruff, but luckily most of it washed out in the shower. I only have a minor case of dandruff now thanks to the rest of the paint flecks still in my hair. However, I am just glad it is finished. After all this Aaron have come to a silent understanding--that paying for plumbing installation is cheaper than paying for the repairs of a do-it-yourself plumbing installation gone bad....I still love my husband, but these unspoken agreements keep us both happy--and dandruff free ;).

2 comments:

KiLee said...

Congratulations on the ceiling being finished!! Way to go on the painting, by the way!

Jeff n Jill said...

and you wanted me to stay for that?!?!?! :)