"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, February 16, 2009

President's Day

Today since Aaron and the kids had today off from work and school we went to the Draper Temple open house. I wanted the kids to be able to see what the inside of the temple looks like and dispel any myths about evil queens living there for Daniel's sake. We left early this morning to be sure and meet up with my parents and make it in time for our 10:20am appointment. We actually left on time and thought we were doing well until we parked the car in the parking lot. It was very snowy and cold so we were trying to hurry and get inside. When I went to pull Sarah out of her car seat my hands immediately touched something wet and slimy. Seeing as that can never be a good thing I pulled her out to find a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) blowout all over her dress, tights, onesie, carseat etc. Since it was so cold Aaron waved me and the kids inside to find my parents while he dealt with the HUGE mess. I was glad I had packed a couple extra outfits just in case because we definately needed them! Aaron finished cleaning her up and found us just in time before we started out tour. We watched a movie and then rode a bus to the temple entrance. We all filed inside and started walking around the guided path. We were looking at all the beautiful wall murals when we turned to see Daniel, who was far off the temple path, doing a "Super Jump" off of one of the alters. After that Sarah decided she was absolutely starving and started screaming and couldn't be consoled. This was more attention getting than usual since they ask you not to speak, but if you do only use a whisper. She was NOT whispering to say the least. Anyway, once you start the tour there really isn't any area to stop, so I had to nurse her while walking on the tour trying to stay modest--easier said than done. All in all we made it and enjoyed seeing it. It was a very beautiful temple and I think the kids enjoyed it as well. I can say I think the temple patrons were probably glad to see us leave, however.

Afterwards we tried out a new ice cream place called Sub Zero. They make your ice cream to order while you watch using liquid nitrogen. The reason why we tried it out is they have different ice cream bases you can try. They even had a soy milk base that was Daniel friendly. We were so excited to have Daniel try ice cream and thought he would be excited as well. He took two bites and then said he was full and didn't touch it again. I guess you can never predict what kids will do. The rest of us really enjoyed our ice cream otherwise. We had a fun day with G&G T. Before we left Matthew and Josh were trying to get me to tell them the next time we were going to come to see G&G T again. They were thinking sometime tomorrow--hey who needs to go to school, right?!? Here are pictures of Josh and Daniel watching the liquid nitrogen freeze their ice cream while playing in the 'smoke'.

3 comments:

Waiting for the One=-) said...

What a wonderful day to have with the family... minus the blow out...

Nurse Heidi said...

Well, even if he wasn't overly impressed by his Daniel-safe ice cream, at least the boys enjoyed the process! We thought that place was fun

The Crandall Clan said...

Soundsa like a fun day Becca. I love jumping off the alter bit. Very funny. Sounds like domething my boys would try to do. :) You all look great. Tell your mom and dad hi for me. THe still look the same.