"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Scared

I kept finding this bear out in the hallway. Time and time again I would put it back in the bedroom only to find it back out in the hallway again. I was starting to get irritated because I didn't know who was taking it out of the room to the hallway. Aaron finally told me after putting Daniel to bed that Daniel was really scared of the bear and asked if Aaron would take it out of his room. I felt awful. It is now hidden in our room not to scare any little boys anymore.

Speaking of scary things...Sarah is thoroughly NOT enjoying her rice cereal. We have been giving this to her for almost a week and every night she screams and cries her little eyes out. She hates the rice cereal. I don't know what to do. None of my other kids hated "real" food. I took pictures of what happens--

She is happy and cooing.

She then notices the spoon.

As soon as she feels the spoon on her lips she clamps her gums down as tight as they will go while all the cereal runs down her chin.

She then screams for a while. While she has her mouth open screaming I shove a bite in. She spits everything out and screams some more. Then she finally calms down and starts cooing then we start all over again.

She hates bottles so I can't give her a spoonful and shove a bottle in her mouth to help her get it down. Any suggestions? I am truly at a loss of what to do.

5 comments:

Waiting for the One=-) said...

Does she like to use a sippy cup? Maybe she can hold her sippy cup and take a drink after each bite.

I don't know, They had us start Ethan on cereal at 5 wks. He was too young to know any better.

kim said...

One of my boys (I think it was Trevan) hated it too. Our Doctor told us we could minx in some applesauce. We did and ... it worked. Maybe somebody has a sweet tooth!

The Crandall Clan said...

Ya Maddy isnt to into the cereal right now as well. The first time I gave it to her she was fine. Not any more. But at least I do have the bottle trick I can work with. :)

Anonymous said...

That's too funny about the bear! It is a little scary looking! After the 2nd time I saw it in the hall I probably would have thrown it away!

Good luck with the solids! Kenzie never liked the rice cereal, when we switched to the oatmeal she ate sooo much better!

Unknown said...

Try the oatmeal cereal, my kids preferred it to rice cereal. Also, I used to mix baby foods like applesauce, or pears with it and they loved it. I also mixed sweet potatoes and squash as well.