"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Weekend

We managed to keep ourselves pretty busy this weekend. Saturday morning we got up early and went to our city's Easter Egg Hunt. They divide up a huge field into different age sections. We were excited because this year they had a special needs section. This was what Matthew needed since he would have been eaten alive by the regular kids his age. Since there was just me and Aaron to supervise I went with Matthew and Sarah and Aaron went with Josh and Daniel. Josh ended up being in the five year olds because it was right next to the 4 year olds for Daniel--even though Daniel isn't 4 either. In Aaron's mind it averaged out and they both had fun and Aaron could keep an eye on both of them. Matthew had fun and was everyone's helper. He got some eggs for himself then he started loading down the other special needs kids' baskets to help out since some were in wheelchairs and weren't very fast. Can I just say how glad I am that they had a special needs section for kids like Matthew!

The bad thing was the Easter Egg Hunt was at the same time as Josh's soccer game. As soon as the hunt got over we headed over to his soccer game. We only missed the warm up part and by watching him play it didn't seem to affect Josh. Let's just say soccer is not his forte with or without the warm up ;). However, he did score his first goal. After that we came home and did a frenzied house cleaning and then headed over to Matthew's soccer game. In the last year with me being pregnant and postpartum I haven't been helping Matthew out on the field so yesterday Aaron turned to me and told me it was my turn to help Matthew. I sure got my exercise in running up and down the field with him trying to keep him paying attention to the game. After the game we came home and had movie night. We got some Daniel friendly popcorn and watched Josh's new movie he got for his b-day. Matthew had a hard time watching the movie because he had been outside playing and evidently touched something and rubbed his eyes. When he came back inside his eyes were swollen shut. I gave him Benadryl and started him on antibiotic eye drops just in case. After the first 30 minutes of the movie he was ready to go to bed. Benadryl will do that to you as well as not being able to keep your eyes open. This is a picture from this morning. His eyes aren't nearly as puffy as yesterday, but they still look bad.

The Easter Bunny visited our house and brought some colored pencils, markers (washable of course) and some crayons. Josh was so excited. He has been working on multiple masterpieces this morning. I guess I will have to wait in clearing off the fridge of all the masterpieces when Josh goes back to school. Matthew's eyes were still pretty puffy this morning so he stayed home from church with Aaron and Sarah. I was a little sad because Sarah wasn't able to wear her Easter dress, but hopefully next week we can make it.

One last thing I am excited to say--SPRING BREAK IS OVER AND WE SURVIVED IT INTACT!! The kids and I are excited for school to start again tomorrow--Wahoo!

No comments: