"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

IEP

It's that time of year again to update Matthew's IEP (individualized education plan) for the upcoming year. This is the meeting between the Speech Therapist, Special Ed teacher, principal and school Psychologist. It has just hit me that we only have about two months left of school. Matthew unfortunately has to change schools yet again for next year. We don't know where he will be going yet and probably won't find out until a month before school. We got to hear updates and some are good while others are bad, but that's what happens with special needs kids. It is funny because through Matthew's quirky behavior everyone at school knows him and for the most part that's a good thing. Walking down the hall a lot of people say hello to him. I find that comforting because I know how hard socialization at school can be (coming from someone who is so awkwardly shy it's not funny). I guess we will see what next year holds for him. I hope he finds himself in a school with as many friendly people, if not more.

In other happenings I try to have lunch with Aaron once a week. Since Cafe Rio is Aaron's favorite that's where we go--besides it has a very noisy atmosphere which hides most of the kids' screaming which is a good thing (especially today). Anyway last week it was very busy so I was saving a table while Aaron picked up the food. Sitting at the table right next to us was a stranger danger man with a very full beard and longer hair. I was just trying to keep my attention on getting a table when Daniel walked over and pointed within a foot of this guy and yells (since it is very noisy inside), "HEY! THERE'S JESUS!!!" Then he saw another guy with a bushy beard at another table that was somewhat close to us and said, "THERE'S ANOTHER JESUS!" Who knew Jesus frequented Cafe Rio? I guess He was taking a break from the temple for lunch...Gotta love a child's innocence.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that!! I love hearing kids' comments, they crack me up. Good luck with Matthew's IEP!!

Melanie said...

I just love Daniel!