"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Idol Hands...

Summertime can be an interesting time. Matthew and Josh have Kids in the Park every morning so Sarah and poor Daniel is stuck with boring old Mom. After Matthew and Josh leave in the morning that's when I start getting ready. Lately Daniel has been curious about how I get ready. He has been watching me put on my makeup the last few days. Yesterday he even asked why I was painting my lips and coloring on my eyes. I mumbled something about how girls wear makeup to be pretty. He then left and I was finishing pulling my hair back when Daniel came up and tapped me on my leg. I didn't look right away and he tapped me again. I turned to see Daniel had put on his own makeup with his pens and markers. He proudly showed me his masterpiece. I hope my makeup application looks a little better than that!! I also have to say I really don't spend that much time getting ready--the kids just know that's when they can get away with murder because Mom is preoccupied for 15 minutes. He also got a little carried away and colored his arms and legs too. That kid is a crazy kid!!
To keep the kids busy so I have less episodes like the previous paragraph we have been doing different things. We go bowling quite a bit. The people at the Bowling Center know us pretty well and are getting to the
point we don't even need to tell them the boys' shoe sizes anymore. Yesterday to break up the monotony (crazy or brave you pick) I took them all swimming by myself. Aaron has been working crazy overtime lately so I have been a single parent for the last few weeks. The kids have been wanting to go swimming and I didn't know when Aaron would be able to go with me so I just decided to go alone with my four kids. It went better than I thought it would which is great. We went to the local aquatics center which has something fun for everyone. Matthew and Josh spent the whole time going down the big yellow slide while I sat and watched Daniel and Sarah at the little kids play area. From where I sat I could keep an eye on all four which was good. I even brought a swimming mask to play with and Josh and Daniel loved it. However, they
couldn't quite get it on by themselves very well. The picture shows how Josh liked to wear it--it basically covered his eyes and pulled up his nose. It didn't seem to bother him so I let it be. Sarah even loved playing in the water which was a plus.

Today we went and saw a movie after Kids in the Park and for the afternoon I gave them a choice between bowling or making cookies. They chose the cookies. I found some Daniel friendly dairy free chocolate chips and made a chocolate chip cookie recipe Daniel friendly and then we cooked away. I had some very eager taste testers to make sure it tasted ok--which it did. This is the second time Daniel has ever had chocolate chip cookies. He LOVES them! I am such a bad mom that's is what we all had for dinner. I will make up for it tomorrow ;). We've been staying pretty busy to avoid idol hands because you can see what happens when they are left with idol hands...even Sarah gets in on the action by hanging out at the computer desk with all the paper and fun buttons to push...If I can't find her this is the first place to check.

2 comments:

Johanna said...

Wow! Can I borrow some of your energy?

Melanie said...

Your kids are hilarious. I'll bet you get to laugh every day.