"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kids in the Park...ROCKS!

Today was the last day for Kids in the Park. It was a sad day because that means the kids have no structured activities for the next week and a half. I hope I can handle it! Anyway, parents were invited to come today for the last day. Since I still had Daniel and Sarah I came for the last hour. I got to see the video slide show of all kids at their fun activities this summer. It was set music and just for Matthew's sake they put in the Fearless song from Taylor Swift seeing as he made everyone listen to it multiple times a day every day. I think they are as sick of that song as I am if that's possible! It made his day to hear that song on the video, though. The leaders got to know Matthew and Josh very well. They were able to handle Matthew's quirks and OCD tendencies and still enjoy him which is wonderful. They even had a mini party for Matthew for his birthday. They baked everyone cupcakes and sang Happy Birthday to him. He was so excited! The other kids who had had birthdays during the summer complained because they didn't get cupcakes on their birthday. After they heard the complaints they had to re-sing Happy Birthday to everyone and not just Matthew. As we were leaving today his teachers made me promise to bring Matthew to come visit them in their city office just so they could say hi and see him before Kids in the Park next summer. That made me happy.

During the time I was there today I also got to participate in a few of their activities and the other kids that interacted with Matthew helped him out a lot. Even if Matthew didn't respond to their question or said something totally off the wall they went with the flow and were still friendly with him. They also tried to help him when he needed help. This was very comforting to me because I worry about this particular thing quite a bit. We did the rocket launch where everyone made their own rockets. The kids also got fake tattoos on their arms. The line for the tattoos was pretty long so I grabbed the marker and did a quick one on Daniel's arm. After that I had to do a few more because other kids didn't want to wait in the in long line either. That was pretty crazy! They had hot dogs and cotton candy so the kids had lots of fun today. Sarah just hung out in the stroller trying to pull out her rainbows (hairbows) all morning. That kept her pretty busy--the little stinker!! Josh was excited to show me his friends. He kept telling me about his friend that was a girl and I kept asking him what her name was. He never found it out until today he finally asked her what her name was which was Gracie. I can tell they were pretty close friends...
I am excited because this means school is inching ever so much closer. I still can't believe I will have two kids in all day school. I thought Josh would be excited to go to school all day, but he is only excited because he gets three recesses now instead of just one. Oh, what the life of a 6 year old!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like they had a great time. I'm right there with you about having 2 kids in all day school. I'm not sure I will know how to act.

Unknown said...

I'm with you too...wow...two kids gone all day =( I'm kind of attached to mine and don't want them to go back. That kids in the park sounds like a great activity!