"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Insomniac Terror and Daniel's 4 Year Old Stats

For the past few days Daniel and Josh have been extra tired. We finally found out why last night when Aaron went to check on them before he went to bed and saw the alarm on their clock had been turned on. Josh and Daniel had played with the buttons and had turned the beeper alarm on for midnight. This particular alarm also goes off for about an hour if you don't know how to turn it off--which they don't. I am surprised they didn't come upstairs and get one of us. I guess this has happened for a few nights, but we didn't catch it. I should have suspected something when Josh said he heard loud beeping really early in the morning, but that could have been anything--garbage truck, delivery truck, etc. Hopefully after a couple of restful nights they will be back to their happy selves instead of the bears they have been for the last little while. However, I don't know if Daniel's clock has reset. Last night I had tried to fall asleep for a couple hours without success so about 3am I gave up and decided to come downstairs to let Aaron sleep without my tossing and turning. As I reached our bedroom door and opened it I saw a small black figure rush toward me. It scared me enough that I started screaming which woke everyone else up. Poor Aaron just doesn't do well when awakened from a deep sleep. It was just Daniel covered in his blankee out for a 3 am stroll for some reason. I scared Daniel half to death as well. He started crying and saying, "It's just Daniel, Mom." It took everyone a little while to calm down enough to go back to sleep. Daniel is currently taking a nap so hopefully he will be his happy self when he wakes up.
Today was Daniel's 4 year old check-up. Now for a variety of reasons I have held off on Daniel's vaccinations since he was 6 months old. Today we played catch up and he ended up getting six shots in the legs--OUCH! They also had to make sure they had an Epi-Pen available just in case since the MMR has trace amounts of egg in it. Luckily, we didn't need it. The last shot he has gotten was the Epi-Pen which was over 2 years ago so the poor kid doesn't even remember what a shot is like. He was quite traumatized. It made it worse because after the shots we had to wait in the room for about 30 minutes to make sure he wouldn't go into anaphylaxis which was scary. All he wanted to do was go home. I even promised him anything--Sonic drink, french fries, toys, etc. but all he wanted to do was come home. I know vaccinations are a necessary evil, but I feel AWFUL because I had to hold him down while they gave them to him. Hopefully, he will forgive me soon. Anyway here are his stats: He is 33.6 pounds (25%) and 40inches tall (25-50%). I am so amazed he is back on the growth chart and thriving since he spent the first two years of his life off the growth chart. He is doing great--until his 5 year old appointment when we will finish his catch up in the vaccination department. At least we have a year to prepare until then. Here's a picture of poor Daniel sleeping it off:

2 comments:

Jeff n Jill said...

Poor thing! I was about in tears when he got his blood drawn that day. I can't imagine holding him down for the shots! That is definately going to be a "Jeff" job when it comes to our kids!

KiLee said...

I totally laughed out loud when I read about you screaming - that is hilarious!! So funny!!
That sucks about the shots for Daniel. Kita had to just get one last year at her three year and it took a long time to recover. I didn't prep her for it at all because I knew that she wouldn't be ok with it no matter what. Good luck next year!