"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Volleyball a Contact Sport?

Aaron's work allows them to have exercise time. That means they get to work out for 3 hours a week during work hours. Aaron works with a bunch of guys and they usually like to play basketball, racquetball or volleyball together. This last Thursday they went and played volleyball and I didn't think that could get too dangerous--well I was wrong. Aaron was at the front of the net with his leg sticking out when another guy went to jump to spike the ball. On the way down from the other guy's jump he landed right on Aaron's knee forcing it to bend backwards pretty far. Ever since then Aaron has been hobbling around not being able to put much weight on it. We have nicknamed him Gimp. Walking has gotten a little easier over the weekend, but he still has a hard time. He went and saw an Instacare physician Thursday night, but that was not very effective since the doctor was an idiot just told him, "Yep it's swollen." All I could think was I just paid $35 for that great piece of advice and knowledge. No offense to all those super smart doctors in our families because they aren't idiots like that! Anyway, after wasting our time there Thursday night, he has an appointment with an orthopedist on Monday. In the meantime he can't straighten out his leg because it will bend backwards, it is still hugely swollen, it will occasionally it lock up where he can't bend it, and when he can move it, it clicks all the time. I am hoping it will just heal on its own, but I am fearing this might need a surgery to fix it. I guess we will find out tomorrow--send healing vibes our way please because I don't want to have him go through surgery!!

In other happenings Josh lost a tooth and took a page out of Matthew's book. He lost the tooth and then he actually misplaced it. He had to write the Tooth Fairy a letter to let her know what had happened. The sign says, "I lost a tooth by Josh" with a nice picture of a tooth drawn below. Josh set out two papers with the same message out to make sure it wouldn't be missed. He was also hoping to double dip, but we told him that wouldn't work that the Tooth Fairy was smarter than that--at least I hope so. Anyway, I thought Josh would be excited the next morning to see some money. He instead came upstairs and said, "All I got was a freakin' dollar." I told him with an attitude like that he won't have to worry about any more freakin' dollars maybe next time it I will tell the Tooth Fairy to bring just be a freakin' penny for his tooth! Geez, what a kid!
Matthew earned his Bobcat in scouts and received the award at Pack Meeting last Tuesday. I for some reason didn't take any pictures, but he is pretty proud. I got to paint some stuff on his face and he got to paint some stuff on my face--I will admit I was a little worried about that one, but it turned out ok. Now I have to figure out how to sew the award on his shirt without sewing his pocket closed. Any advice would be appreciated!!

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Patches: merit badge magic. It is a sticky stuff you apply the patches to, then iron onto the shirt. Much easier than sewing.
Congrats to Matthew (and mom)!

Jeff n Jill said...

Whoo Hoo Matthew - Congrats on the Bobcat! That is so awesome!

Nurse Heidi said...

"All I got was a freakin' dollar" CRACKS ME UP!! Oh my word, kids are funny. Rachel recently lost her first two teeth, and was quite careful to show me where she left it and stage whispered that she knew it was really me. Drat. Ethan lost a tooth once before managing to set it out for the tooth fairy so I made him write a love note in lieu of the actual tooth.