"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, November 22, 2009

What are We Thinking?

Sometimes, well often times, I wonder what goes through my kids' minds and I am sure people wonder what goes through my mind. Here are some examples: Thursday morning Josh woke up early of course, but good thing for him he obeys and stays in his room until it is time for breakfast. I was up pretty early because I can't sleep so I was listening to them play. I heard Josh cough a few times, but didn't worry about it. When it reached the right time for breakfast Josh came upstairs and said, "Mom, I just ate a button." I guess that is what caused the coughing I had heard earlier. Now this stands to reason--why did you eat a button. I asked him, but he just looked at me blankly and didn't have any reason. Wonder what it tasted like, but not enough to try one myself. I do feed my kids honest!! I don't know why he felt the need to eat a button. I have heard of pica, but what nutrient could possibly be missing from his diet to drive him to eat plastic buttons?

Another example happened just this morning. Josh and Daniel took a shower and while in the shower they stopped up the tub to get a few inches in the bottom of the tub to play with. Usually this isn't too much of a problem because they keep the shower curtain closed which contains most of the water. After their shower Daniel came downstairs saying Josh was washing his clothes. Fearing the worst and needing more details Aaron called Josh downstairs to see what was going on. I guess Josh felt the need to "wash" the towel in the nasty post shower water in the stopped up tub to get it "clean". He then shoved the newly "cleaned" towel in the dirty clothes hamper while being sopping wet. Awesome! I guess we will be doing a load of laundry today, Sunday, of all days. We are trying not to let Josh see us laugh, but we can't help, but wonder: Honestly, what was he thinking?

Another example happened yesterday. Josh and Daniel had a shower in the morning and my kids are not picky about what they wear. Aaron or I usually just pick something out and put it in the hallway for them to get dressed in when they finish their shower. Josh and Daniel got out and dressed. It wasn't until the afternoon that Aaron went upstairs and found some underwear laying in the hallway that suspiciously looked like the pair he had given Daniel to put on that morning. He asked Daniel if he was wearing underwear and Daniel swore he was wearing underwear so we believed him and went about our business wondering where the suspicious pair of underwear came from. It wasn't until Daniel decided to go potty later in the afternoon--the kind where you sit down--when he yelled, "Dad, I don't have any underwear on." I would think that would be uncomfortable while wearing jeans, but I guess it wasn't that bad for Daniel at least because he went for most of the day like that.

People are going to be wondering what I was thinking when they drive past our house. We decided to put up our Christmas decorations yesterday. I know it's before Thanksgiving, but Christmas takes so much work to set up I want to get my maximum amount of enjoyment from it. That way by the time New Years comes I am more than ready to get everything back to normal. Here's a picture of part of the living room. Last night we all went to a rodeo. We won some tickets from a radio station and decided to go because, hey, it was free. We had a few strikes against us, though. One strike was it started after my kids' bedtime. On the drive to the rodeo all the kids, except Matthew, fell asleep in the car and some of them are not fun to wake up--the biggest offender would be Daniel. He takes after Aaron in that department. We stayed as long as the kids were good and left when we couldn't stand to hear the whininess anymore. It was a fun thing to do and I think the kids liked it, but they would have had more fun if they weren't asked to stay up so late--9:30pm. That's when you know you have little kids vs. big kids because my kids still like to go to bed early unlike the tweens/teenagers that can stay up all hours of the night. I like this age, though despite the late night whininess.

No comments: