
Yesterday morning the neurology and pediatric team rounded on Josh and decided to take him off the medication they started (Depakote) because it didn't appear to be working. They also decided to keep him on his regular medication, Topamax, and increase his new medication, Keppra, to see what would happen. They also had mentioned about doing a MRI which I strongly encouraged just for my piece of mind to rule out tumors, malformations, etc. They first attempted the MRI without sedation, but Josh just couldn't hold still enough to get the pictures clear. They had to retry a few hours later with sedation. They got good pictures, but the sedation didn't quite agree with Josh. Josh is more prone to the seizures during sleep and with all the sedation he has received in the last few days--let's just say it hasn't been pretty. He had a few seizures yesterday afternoon so they decided to increase his new medication even more and to keep him through the night because he just wasn't waking up very well after the MRI sedation. They also had a little mix up with the increased medication dosage. Unfortunately, he didn't get as much medication as they wanted and he had a small seizure last night. However, he went all night long without another problem. In the meantime with all the sedation Josh has had, he has not been able to eat basically anything for two days. After he finally woke up...enough (he still was pretty sleepy) after the MRI sedation he ate a HUGE dinner of two bowls of mac and cheese and a pudding. He was still pretty out of it and spilled food everywhere, but he didn't care and ate EVERYTHING because he was so hungry. He started complaining again of being hungry this morning at 5 am so he had half a banana. For breakfast he ended up having two huge breakfast trays of food and he is still complaining of being hungry--I guess he is making up for lost time. Just to add we just placed
another order for some cereal, pancakes, cake and ice cream--there's nothing like an all you can eat menu for kids...We now have our fun loving, very energetic Josh back who does not want to be in bed anymore and I can't blame him. I am very thankful especially after seeing some of the other patients on this neuro/trauma floor. If all goes well it looks like we might get to come home today. I must admit I am nervous to bring him home, but at least he is a lot better off now then he was a few days ago. I also got to know the emergency medication directions inside and out so if I need to (which I hope I NEVER do) I really know how to give it. I also included the pictures from his infamous EEG from the lead placement to the final wrap up. Yes he does have very dark circles under his bloodshot eyes and I also unfortunately have matching huge dark circles under my bloodshot eyes as well. Hopefully they will disappear soon, but I don't know about all the new gray hairs I now have after this whole experience...

3 comments:
Hang in there! We're praying for you!
Amyjoy
Glad y'all are home now and things seem to be going better! I am "on call" if you need me! We love y'all and are glad things seem "under control". Our thoughts and prayers are still with you for the next hospital stay (hopefully you can actually deliver him at a hospital instead of the bathroom!) ;)
Many many prayers coming your way!!! Joshy is such a cute little boy and I am so sad that he and you are having to go through all of this!!! CHANLER SAYS TO TELL JOSH HI AND TO GET BETTER! We are thinking about you and please know that if you need anything please do not hesitate to ask!!!
Post a Comment