"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Decorating for Christmas, Helpful Sarah, Sweet Smelling Desk, Fancy Hair, and Daniel's Shots

Today for church I got ready early (which doesn't happen often) and had some extra time. I decided to try something fancy with Sarah's hair. Here's how it turned out: Now if she would have held still I could have gotten a better picture, but she had things to do and too many toys to play with. You know how being a toddler is!
Whew, we got our workout at church today! We have sacrament meeting last and since Aaron is in the clerk's office during Sunday School he usually sneaks out for a few minutes to save us a bench. We need a bench for containment issues. It's easier to contain the kids when there is only one exit (unless you count under the benches, but most the time the kids don't think about that escape route). Unfortunately, Aaron didn't get a chance to save a bench today. That meant we had to sit on the chairs in the back with way too many escape routes. At the beginning of the meeting I had to leave to feed Noah because he was quite starving. To help Aaron out, I took Sarah along with me to the Mother's lounge. Not the funnest thing, but I managed to stop her from playing with the diaper pail, sink and changing table. When we got back to sacrament meeting Aaron traded me Daniel for Noah since Daniel needed Momma loves instead of Daddy loves. After the trade Noah made one whimper and Aaron took him out to the foyer ASAP. I don't think I have ever seen him move that fast!! That left me with the other four kids sitting in the chairs with--may I remind you--too many escape routes. I also think Sarah should count as at least 3 kids because she is one active little girl. We ended up being the side show entertainment for sacrament meeting. When I quietly yelled at one kid the others started misbehaving--except for Matthew who was quite the little angel today. Sarah ran around and screamed every time her brother's didn't give in to her wishes. However, we hung in there and lasted the whole meeting. I am patting myself on the back even if the people sitting around us weren't.
Aaron loves Christmas and always wants to decorate early. This year we ended putting up our Christmas decorations a few weeks before Thanksgiving. For every year our children were born we have bought them a First Christmas ornament. Here's Noah's:
This summer I was able to find a killer deal on stockings with free monogramming. Knowing we are done adding to our family I splurged and bought 7 matching stockings with everyone's names on them. While we were hanging them up we were in awe with how many there were. I know, I know--we have five kids, but seeing all those stockings was shocking. How did I end up with five kids?!? Yes, I know how it happened, but I still feel like I am 21 and not old enough to even be married let alone have five kids!! It's a good thing we are done because I don't think there would be room for another stocking on that mantel!!Sarah has been "helping" me out lately. She forcibly crawled up in my lap tonight while I was feeding Noah. She had grabbed a spoon and tried feeding him along with me. He didn't appreciate her spoonfuls as they went clear to the back of his throat, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. The other day I got out a bottle and put juice in it to see if I could coax Noah into taking a bottle. He absolutely refused so I set down the bottle and did some other things. I looked over to find Sarah had picked it up and was trying to feed him. Of course she wouldn't take no for an answer even if Noah didn't want it.However, she tried feeding Sydney while she was here. Sydney didn't mind as much as Noah did. She is quite the little momma.We were having a rather rough day on Saturday so we sent the kids for some quiet time that afternoon. When they came out of quiet time Josh and Daniel smelled awfully sweet. I asked them why they smelled so good. Josh said, "Oh we cleaned the desk downstairs." My uh oh radar started going off and I probed even further. I asked what he had cleaned with. He said, "Those little bottles downstairs." I had him go downstairs and show me what "little bottles" he was talking about. I was upset to find he had gotten into my stash of teacher Christmas gifts. I had gotten a bunch of smaller bottles of Bath and Body Works lotions to give teachers, bus drivers, aids, etc. for Christmas. Josh and Daniel had found them and used them to "clean their desk" which means they just smeared the bottles all over the desk. I was not happy, but at least I won't need to use an air freshener downstairs for a little while. The "clean" desk will be the new air freshener.

Thursday, a week and a half ago, Aunt Jill was picking Daniel up from preschool. Daniel insisted he only wanted Aunt Jill to come and NOT me. Complying with his wishes because I didn't want to hear his complaints (aka whines) Aunt Jill showed up--only to be sought out by Daniel's teacher. She told Jill that Daniel could NOT come back to preschool again until his immunizations were up to date. I had gotten most of Daniel's immunizations up to date at his 4 year old pediatrician's visit. He still needed to finish the 3rd shots of his Hepatitis B, and his MMR series. However, me and his pediatrician decided to wait until he was ready to start kindergarten to finish up the last of the shot series he needed. I guess this would not work out for his preschool class. That meant I had to get Daniel in for a check up in two days. I called the doctor's office and pleasantly surprised they could squeeze him in Monday morning. I took him in and they did the full physical. Daniel weighs 37.1 pounds (25th percentile) and is 42 1/2 inches (30th percentile). Although he is little, it is so great to see him on the growth chart. Getting him on the growth chart was such a struggle for us all when he was a baby. It's a relief to see how much he has grown since then. His vision was also 20/20. I am so glad all the kids got my good vision unlike Aaron's!! Then came the shot part. I had told Daniel nothing of him getting any shots. When he saw the medical assistant rubbing his legs down with alcohol he started getting curious. The MA then told him he was going to get some "school medicine" to keep him healthy. He just figured the bandaids had the medicine on them and was actually excited to get them put on his legs. It wasn't until miliseconds before he got jabbed with the needle he figured out what "school medicine" actually meant--SHOTS. He screamed loud, long and hard. You would have thought we were cutting off one of his legs by the way he screamed. However, the magic power of stickers, bandaids and oreos calmed him down. I am glad we won't have to worry about any more "school medicine" for him for a while. I am sure he is, too. Since Daniel was going to be in school Tuesday afternoon since we had gotten his immunizations up to date that meant I would only have Sarah and Noah along with me. It would be prime Christmas shopping time and since Noah and Sarah don't talk too much they are great at keeping secrets. Aaron decided to take a half day off to help me do the Christmas shopping. However, Tuesday right before Daniel was to go to school and after Aaron had taken the half day off, Daniel's teacher called and told us preschool was cancelled because of the supposed BIG blizzard we were going to have. It made me even more unhappy when the "Big Blizzard" turned out to be a dud. I guess you win some you lose some right?!?

No comments: