"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Before and After Pictures at the Dentist and Some Future Blackmail!!

Over the summer Josh went swimming at a water park. While he was running over to get in line for the water slide, he slipped and fell. Unfortunately his two front teeth broke his fall which chipped them pretty badly. A few days later we were shopping at Costco and my well behaved children (yea right) were led by Josh in climbing all over the pallets. Josh climbed up one pallet and slipped and fell breaking his fall with his teeth yet again on the cement floor. That chipped them even more--great! Costco seems to be bad for my family's health! With Josh chipping his teeth and Daniel breaking his foot there we should probably avoid shopping there--geesh!! Anyway, after chipping his teeth twice, as you can imagine, his teeth were super sensitive so he would jump anytime they got brushed or ate anything cold. The dentist recommended we get them fixed. So we waited until the beginning of the new year so our flex spending account would be reset. That flex spending account of ours was just burning a hole in my pocket anyway :). Here are Josh's teeth before the fix:I had to bring Sarah, Daniel and Noah with me as well as Josh so I wasn't looking forward to this fun trip. When I parked the car I told the kids to wait until I got out the stroller and strapped Noah into it before we could go inside. I must have spoken that in some foreign language because they didn't even wait for me to get out the stroller before they were inside. I hurried and threw Noah in the stroller and went inside to track down my kids. They weren't in the front lobby so I went back into the waiting room. Luckily they were side tracked by the huge aquarium so that gave me time to catch up. While I was checking in, the kids found the play room. However, by the time I was done checking in I found they had emptied the play room's toy box and Josh and Daniel had climbed on top of the toy kitchen that was across the room. They had all the toys piled up and were throwing the toys across the room trying to make a basket in the open toy box. I was getting them to stop and put everything back when we got called back. On the way back I remembered I had forgotten to brush Josh's teeth. In all the rush of that morning that little chore had completely slipped my mind. I am sure that is the last thing the dentist wanted to work on was Josh's slimy, un-brushed teeth--YUCK! I told the dental assistant so she took care of cleaning off his front teeth for me, but still, that was rather embarrassing! When Josh got back into the chair they have movie goggles complete with built in ear phones they put on him. After that Josh was in the "zone"--which is the "the whole world could explode and I would never notice because the TV is on" zone. They dental assistant was trying to talk to Josh and ask him questions, but she couldn't break into his "TV zone" so she finally gave up.
In the meantime Daniel and Sarah were in the small waiting room watching a movie on the TV adjacent to Josh's room. That is when Daniel discovered the huge water jug with cups. He insisted he was so thirsty and he needed a drink right then. Unfortunately, Sarah also saw the water jug. When my back was turned she went over and turned it on and let the water run to play in it. After I stopped her she still had her eye on that water jug. That meant I had to stay out with her instead of watching whatever they did with Josh because she wasn't going to leave that alone.I did steal one minute to go back and watch them give Josh the nitrous oxide and numb up his gums and lips. That was the last I saw of the whole procedure. Good thing Josh was in the "TV zone" so he didn't even know if I was there or not.Here's the after:The dentist even included the little ridge bumps all second graders have so he would look like everyone else. They will eventually wear away just like everyone else's, too. The dentist did tell me that like a stubbed toe that you seem to keep hitting, it is the same with chipped teeth. Once you chip them it seems to be the same ones that get chipped over and over again. That being said the dentist basically told me they are able to fixes on the new teeth not if, but when they get chipped again. Great--good thing our flex spending account just reset! Afterward they let Josh pick out a prize. Of course you can't let one child pick a prize and no one else, so Daniel and Sarah muscled their way in and picked prizes, too. Here's Josh's pick and it was no surprise. Josh likes to be silly.Afterward I was going to take Josh back to school, but it was lunch time for him and the dentist told us until his lip becomes un-numb he could only eat soft food. Every Wednesday I try and meet Aaron for lunch and so Josh emphatically said he wanted to come along with us instead of eating lunch at school. We chose Cafe Rio because they have soft food. They also have a really loud atmosphere that tend to drown out most of my children's screams--so it was an ideal place. It was even better when Daniel tried to pick Sarah up to bring her over to the table. That made her go totally limp and fall to the ground. Daniel then tried to drag her over to the table. She just ended up screaming and throwing a huge tantrum so I was glad for the loud atmosphere that made it so only half the restaurant could hear her tantrum instead of the whole restaurant. Also Cafe Rio has the best mints. They aren't peppermint, but they are cinnamon instead which is my favorite. I sent Daniel up there to grab a few--he must have thought I meant grab a few HANDFULS because this is what he came back with:When we came home Sarah grabbed Josh's glasses and made me put them on her so she could be silly, too.
Yesterday morning Sarah refused to come over to me so she could get dressed. I then asked Daniel to put Sarah's shirt on because Sarah is quite possessive and can't handle anyone touching her stuff. It worked like a charm. Once she saw Daniel wearing her shirt she came over immediately. I also got a future blackmail picture of Daniel so it was a win-win situation!!

No comments: