"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blow It Out Your Ear and Noah's New Digs

A cold made the rounds at our house--it started two weeks ago and quickly made it through everyone. Now everyone has those annoying lingering coughs that don't go away forever. With this round of sickness I am glad for Noah's ear tubes, though. I went to get him out of bed last week and found his ear overflowing with mucussy nastiness. It looked like he had blown his snotty nose and it came out his ears. I was alarmed at first because since he had the tubes put in he has had no drainage out of them whatsoever until then. I just so happened to have his post operative appointment with the Ear Nose Throat doctor the day after his snotty ear episode so I didn't take him in to the pediatrician. When the ENT took a look he just said his snotty nose was draining out of his ear--YUCK!! So I guess the phrase Blow it Out Your Ear takes on a whole new meaning. The ENT just had us restart the antibiotic ear drops for a few days to make sure he wouldn't get a full blown ear infection and I guess it worked. He hasn't woken up with any snotty goodness oozing from his ear since that one episode--thank goodness!!


Today was Fast Sunday. The kids did great during church until the sacrament. That's about when they discovered it would be Fast and Testimony meeting. They love to bear their testimonies. Matthew loves to be the first one up to the pulpit and Josh knows that. As we were waiting for the sacrament to end Matthew started asking me if he could go and sit up on the stand so he could be the very first person to get up and bear his testimony. I kept telling him to wait a bit before he got up. He waited until the bishop bore his testimony and said amen before he bolted up to the stand. Unfortunately, Josh heard Matthew talking about how he wanted to be the first one up to bear his testimony and after hearing that Josh decided HE wanted to be the very first person to bear his testimony. Before the bishop had even stopped speaking at the pulpit saying he was turning to time over to the audience to bear their testimonies Josh took off running up to the front. Once Matthew saw Josh start going up he ran after him and they started arguing and fighting down the aisle on the way up to the pulpit about who was going first. Matthew started grabbing and pulling Josh behind him while screaming (and yes I do mean screaming), "NOOOOOOO, I want to go first!!!!" At this point they were way down the aisle,out of my reach and almost up to the stand so I just had to watch agonizing over what was happening. We almost had an aisle way fist punching brawl when Josh broke away and made it to the microphone first. Matthew was kind enough to sit and wait on a chair. Also during the melee Daniel snuck out of the bench and ran up to the front and sat down next to Matthew to wait to bear his testimony as well. So the first people to bear their testimonies besides the bishop were the Mancil kids. That wasn't the end of things either. After Sarah saw her brothers up on the stand she screamed and wiggled out of the bench and RAN straight up to the front so she could talk in the microphone too. Luckily, I ran after her down the aisle and caught her right in front of the steps leading up to the podium. She wasn't too happy about being stopped and picked up. She started screaming as soon as I touched her so I had to take her out immediately. After the testimony bearing craziness, Noah finally fell asleep during the middle of the meeting so we passed him off to the people behind us so we could wrestle the other four kids during the meeting. I am happy to say we made it through the whole meeting without any other MAJOR mishaps just a bunch of minor ones. At least we have one week to rest up for the next "day of rest".

Last night Aaron's boss had a 25th wedding anniversary party at his house. He only invited a few people from work and Aaron was one of them. I got to tag along since I was Aaron's spouse. G&G T were kind enough to come up and watch the kids for us because I am scared to death to leave them with an actual teenage babysitter--I know how I was as a teenage babysitter and that's what makes me afraid to leave my kids with a teenager!! Anyway, my kids also have some special needs like epilepsy and severe food allergies that could possibly life threatening at any point. Just those issues alone makes me even more afraid to leave them with anyone who doesn't know them very well. Anyway, the kids were great enough to behave and play with G&G T--even Sarah and Noah (you just never know with those two). When we got home from the shindig we found everyone in bed and fast asleep. Lately Noah has been a little stinker at night and decided he does not like sleeping through the night anymore. That has left Aaron and me a little on the exhausted side so after G&G T left to go home Aaron and I crashed and went to bed. I had only been asleep for about two hours when Aaron came and woke me up at 2 am saying it was my turn. I took my ear plugs out to hear Noah just screaming away. Aaron had hit his limit after wrestling with Noah for the previous two hours. So I got up with Noah and as soon as I picked him up from his crib he was quiet. I rocked him to sleep and tried to put him back down in his crib only to have him start screaming again as soon as his head touched the mattress. Noah and I did this not fun routine a few times until I figured out Noah only wanted to sleep while I was holding him in my arms. Can we say SPOILED?!? The bad thing about this is that Matthew shares a room with Noah so every time he started screaming it woke Matthew up. Let me just say a tired Matthew makes for a very difficult day the following day so I didn't feel like I could keep having Noah scream so often. After about two hours of this not fun bedtime routine (about 4 am) I finally got the pack and play out of storage and set up bedroom shop for Noah in the laundry room. That way he could scream away and not bother too many people. Boy he carried on for a while until he got tired enough and fell asleep. This is another push for us to get our house sold--we NEED at least one more bedroom so Noah doesn't have to sleep in the laundry room--poor kid or should I say poor parents and family!!! Here is Noah in his new laundry room digs with the dirty clothes and all during quiet time:Who knows maybe the dirty clothes muffle his cries. Hey, I am trying to make myself feel better for having piles of dirty laundry!


Tomorrow is the first day of summer without school to break up the monotony of the day. I am bracing myself and will try to hold on tight because I have a feeling summer is going to be one wild ride!!!

1 comment:

KiLee said...

Good luck with summer break! I really love Noah's new room, very cozy!! I hope you can find a buyer soon so you can get the home of your dreams! :)