"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Week of Single Parenting...

This week I was a single parent because Aaron left on a business trip. I am sure glad that I am not a full time single parent!! I would be way worn out! Before Aaron left we did have the big Father's Day Brunch Saturday morning. My brother Bryan and his family, my sister Johanna and her family and my parents came over for an omelet boil. It's where you get a quart freezer bag and pour some eggs inside along with whatever other ingredients you like in your omelet. Then you seal up the bag and put it inside a big pot of boiling water and let it cook. That way everyone can have their own special omelet that can be mass cooked so everyone can eat at the same time. It was pretty yummy! Here is the father's Day collage Aaron got--for some reason I can't get it to turn the right way. For Father's Day we gave Aaron the breakfast in bed. He had omelets since we already had all the ingredients from the previous morning--sweet!! For dinner we had Aaron's favorite--lasagna with salad and garlic bread. As I was cleaning up I got to notice Sarah's after dinner water cup. YUCK!! And the kids wonder why they don't get sips of our drinks...








Anyway after our family breakfast on Saturday we went and stocked the kitchen up for me so I wouldn't have to take kids out shopping during the week if I didn't want to. Monday morning we took Aaron to the airport at the awful hour of 6 am and then I was on my own. We kept our regular Monday routine of Kids in the Park and piano lessons. Tuesday I dropped the kids off at Kids in the Park and then did a mad cleaning frenzy since we had a house showing that afternoon. Since I was just going to be cleaning the house that morning I kept the two youngest kids and myself in our jammies while I cleaned. I didn't even comb my hair either because I was just going to shower after I was done cleaning. Once I start cleaning I get into "the zone" and don't pay as much attention as I should. I was concentrating on the boy's basement bathroom which was quite disgusting. When I was finishing up I came upstairs to hear talking. I know Sarah doesn't talk that well so I went into the living room to see what was going on. That's where I found a friend standing inside the door talking to Sarah. I guess my friend knocked on the door and Sarah answered it and went off to play without getting me. My poor friend was trying to coax Sarah in to getting me, but she had her own agenda. I was quite embarrassed because I still had bed head and was in my jammies and also because Sarah answered the door and left her standing in the foyer. Nice. Gotta love that Sarah! After I got finished cleaning I took the kids bowling. When we got home I was talking on the phone while fixing dinner for the kids. Sarah took her opportunity of the lack of supervision. Her and Daniel snuck out to the Suburban and poured out the hand sanitizer on my seat. When I found them and cleaned up the mess I came inside to find that Sarah had found a pack of stickers and had stuck them everywhere. I must admit after those episodes the kids did go to bed a tad early that night after Josh and Matthew got home from scouts. Poor Daniel had T-Ball practice, but we had to skip it because there was no way I could help him out at T-Ball while trying to keep an eye on the other four kids. The next day was Wednesday and it was water day at Kids in the Park--meaning the three oldest boys got to wear their swimming suits for the day. When they got home from Kids in the Park they walked inside the house to have lunch. That's about the time Sarah noticed them without their shirts on. Thinking she is just one of the guys she quickly took her shirt off too so she could be just like them. It made me laugh. She didn't even bat an eye. Her shirt was off before I had even brought Noah in from the car. What a funny girl!! After lunch we headed over to the splash pad. This time I let Noah try it out. He didn't particularly care for it. I have a video of him screaming, but for some reason blogger won't let me add the video.Today I was glad because Aaron got to come home a day early from his trip, but not until this afternoon. This morning it was field trip day for Kids in the Park. They got to go on a walking field trip to a local pizza parlor, take a tour and then make their own pizzas for lunch. Poor Daniel wanted to go along, but there was no way he was going to be able to eat anything there. I made him a lunch, but I still felt bad. I made sure he had a bunch of fruit snacks so he could eat some good stuff, too. I also premedicated him with some Zyrtec just in case he came in to contact with any dairy, eggs or nut products. Unfortunately, what I thought was Zyrtec ended up being Benadryl. Oops. Benadryl makes Daniel very tired and ornery--basically "Chuckles". I felt bad dropping him off in his "Chuckles" condition, but I didn't want to keep him home and deal with Chuckles either. When I picked them up from Kids in the Park, I think it took Daniel a millisecond of riding in the car before he fell asleep. He did sleep off the Benadryl so when he woke up he was a little more happy. We picked up Aaron at the airport and then since we were down in Salt Lake we headed over to the Tracy Aviary to check things out. Sarah loved chasing the peacocks around. Daniel stayed far away from them. He is afraid of any sort of unhuman creature.








Anyway, we couldn't stay for too long because Daniel had T-Ball tonight and I wanted him to go since he had missed it the previous Tuesday night. Before Aaron left to take Daniel to T-ball we did squeeze in haircuts for Aaron, Matthew, Josh and Daniel. They now have their short summer dos--that I don't have to do so it's a win-win situation!!Here's Daniel at T-ball. Lastly it is very nice to have Aaron home. He got thrown right back into the swing of things because I "took the night off". He did great and I really enjoyed my much needed break. Whew!! Until next business trip...

1 comment:

KiLee said...

You are amazing! I couldn't do it. Way to go! I'm glad Aaron is back & hope the next trip isn't until school starts again! :)